Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Why "Y"?
#41284 04/13/04 03:45 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
When I picked up my EP350 (private sale) the owner stressed that I should use a "Y" connector to hook up the sub.

A quick Google search turns up the following:

In reply to:

Some subwoofers perform better when both inputs (left/right) are utilized-even when feeding them the same signal.

I must admit it sounds a little like snake oil to me so I thought I had better ask the experts.

Are you using a "Y" connector?

Ever tried one to see if it make a difference?

Could it make a difference?

Assuming you only need one. Why are there Left and right inputs on the amp if you only need one? Would it have anything to do with using two subs?

His subwoofer cable was as thick as my finger, anything wrong with using a $20Cdn AR cable?

thanks for your accurate and no doubt creative answers.

Ford

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
Re: Why "Y"?
#41285 04/13/04 04:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There goes that word "better" again Ford.

I am using a Y connector.
Why?
Because it came with my sub cord, and that's it.
I could either stick the Y connector in a drawer full of other connectors or i could just leave it on the sub cable so i always know where it is. And that's what i did.
Since i do not have 2 subs, and my receiver only has one sub pre-out, both a L&R sub signal are sent to only the one channel. Without using a y-connector, i could plug my sub cable into either the L or R channel on the back of my EP350 and get the same sound.
Since i had the Y-connector and 2 plugins, then what the heck eh?
One thing i have heard however is that if your sub is having problems waking up to a signal, try using a Y-connector so the signal is received in both the L & R ports. Since i have not had such a problem with or without the connector, i cannot say for sure whether such a thing would work.

Incidentally, my sub cable is a 30' RCA brand ebay $20 special.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#41286 04/13/04 04:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Chess is right. I was reading an old Axiom newsletter today that addressed this issue. Most subs (Axiom included - so that'll capture your 350) sum both the left and the right input into a mono signal for the sub. So, you can use a "Y" cable, but "Y" woudl you. You can enter a single, mono channel signal in to either the left or right input and the signal received by your amp will be identical to the signal sent from a mono source and then split. While there is little risk of signal loss of splitting the mono signal with a "y" cable, if you are thinking about buying one, save you money, and buy something nice for your lady-friend/significant other. You'll appreciate it much more that way.

On the other hand, if your receiver has two "sub-out" sources for stereo bass reproduction, then you should use both inputs on the sub, obviously. However, most receivers let you defeat the stero by inputting only one input (usually the left) from the receiver to the sub.

But, if your sub has trouble waking up, and splitting the signal helps ressurect it, then, by all means, a fairly cheap connector might save you some heartache.

All in all, don't go buying the "Y" if you dont' have it. If you do, and there's no other use for it, plug it in - at least you'll know where it is next time you actually need a "Y" splitter cable, instead of digging in the bottom of some drawer.

#41287 04/13/04 09:26 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
thanks for the advice guys!

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16