Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: OT: New Avatar test
#41621 04/16/04 06:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't disagree with you either bigjohn. Different circumstances and different regions have their own problems, the extent and ideas behind which we manage those problems will define the future of humans on this planet.

I've travelled the States and Canada.
I was born in Canada but have lived in major cities across the country including Calgary which is ALOT like some southwestern states in attitude (cowboyish, etc. etc.). I also have relatives in the US and now overseas in the UK. It is true that SOME environments are different such that firearms are a necessity (e.g. up in Nunavut in small communities where polar bear sightings are common) but bringing that into major, populated areas only increases potential incidents whether criminal or unintended. The vast majority of ppl may feel comfortable carrying a gun, but whether intelligent or not, they may not use it properly when placed in a highly stressful situation.

The crime rate (or perception of it) is not that bad in every region across the US. In fact i daresay that the most of the US lives a very laid back lifestyle not unlike Canadians. The bigger and more prominent city areas certainly can be more intimidating, but a general philosophy of 'requiring' the ownership of a firearm will never end until everyone embraces the concept. However, Americans do seem to be more 'vocal' about the ideals of "my rights, my freedoms" and Instead there is a presentation of having to go the other way from laid back to violent return.

There are non-lethal alternatives to guns, more being developed with newer technology and no, if you hit someone with mace first, you WiLL win. I've seen 220lb police recruits drop to their knees and cry like little girls when hit with it. If a skunk can spray 15-20 feet, we can make mace shoot up to 25 or 30 even in a decent breeze. Beyond that, you should be running and not shooting anything.
Most muggings happen at a short distance, not a far one.

It is bad enough that road rage is getting out of control, but people requiring concealed firearms to go shopping at Walmart? That's outrageous and inherently dangerous.
At least the concept of home protection makes more sense. Buy a shotgun and keep it locked up at your house. Carry the mace when you walk down the street.
It is a compromise that no doubt is still unacceptable to many Americans.
(I'm going to duck and wait now for the first to stand up and say once again, "it is my right to.....")

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#41622 04/16/04 06:53 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I was born and raised in the US, and have spent the last 10 years living in Los Angeles, and I completely agree with Chess.

There's simply no good use for handguns and fully automatic weapons. There were designed for one purpose and one purpose only - to kill people. If you want to target shoot, use a friggin' bb-gun.

I usually try to stay completely clear of political issues here (actually there's rarely a political issue brought up, as this is an audio board. ), but I can't stay completely silent on this one.

BigJohn - In your dream world in which every home has a gun carrying person, you admit that that is a pipe dream that would never happen. If you're going to dream, why not dream of a world without guns?

btw...my signature line is a quote from Gandhi, so consider the source when you listen to my preaching.

#41623 04/16/04 07:05 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
no backlash from me.. although it is my right..

i am in rural texas.. very laid back.. low crime.. in fact, we only had 6 homicide deaths/murders in 2003.. and 2 were in one place on a drug deal gone bad.. anyway, this is the kind of town where you can leave your door unlocked, and your keys in your car. a lot of people do it.. but i have the belief that people make themselves victims by allowing criminals an easy path. i aint all paranoid or nothing, but i do make an effort to secure my belongings, and leave no temptations for the bad guys. and i dont carry a weapon to walmart.. actually, i have a CCW, but rarely carry my handgun with me.. mainly on trips, for my familys safety. i dont carry on a daily basis. but its not necessarliy that i have the CCW out of necessity, more like, 'cause i can'.. that sounds kinda stupid, even as i type it, but maybe it does go back to the whole, "its my right, my freedom"..

there is NO easy answer or solution to guns/gun control. i am glad i have the right to carry arms, and i have taken the steps, as have my wife, to do this as safe and controlled as possible.

and i do have a shotgun, a couple actually... depends on what kind of hunting i am doing. a few rifles also. to be honest, the majority reason i have weapons, is to hunt game.. not to kill people.. but i feel confident in my training and ability, that if i ever needed to make the decision to do that, it would be quick, decisive, and final..

i am cool with open discussion, as long as we dont start saying the other is 'wrong' for how they feel.. thats when it usually gets ugly..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#41624 04/16/04 07:18 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

i am cool with open discussion, as long as we dont start saying the other is 'wrong' for how they feel.. thats when it usually gets ugly..

Nah, usually gets ugly about 11am the next morning when you roll over and can't quite make out what species the warm thing laying beside you is.

Bren R.
(bringing the levity)

#41625 04/16/04 07:23 PM
shareholder in the making
bigjohn,

You're the nicest wrong guy I've ever met....

Just kidding!

#41626 04/16/04 07:31 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
thanks, i needed a good laugh today..

i can just feel the love..

i aint as eloquent at this typing stuff as others, so i know i end up sounding pretty 'out there' sometimes.. but hey, we all have different beliefs on all subjects. other than the fact that we all like AXIOM speakers, thats a given.. so i just try and absorb all these different 'beliefs', and compare them to mine.. maybe i will change my mind a little bit, maybe they will change theirs. its all about the communication.

and bren, just naw it off next time.. anythings better than waking her, er... it, up..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#41627 04/16/04 07:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

the next morning when you roll over and can't quite make out what species the warm thing laying beside you is

Oh geez, that one got me.
I laughed so hard tears came from my eyes.

Good thing my wife isn't home. She would think i was downright mental if she doesn't think that way already).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#41628 04/16/04 07:37 PM
bigjohn,

Your open-mindedness is very refreshing. Yes, you're opinionated, but at least you acknowledge that your's isn't the only way. That's rare.

#41629 04/16/04 08:47 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
I'd just like to say for the record and in case anyone is wondering, not everyone in Texas shares bigjohns views on this. There are a few of us liberals...(gasp) scattered about Texas.

Knowing that people are allowed to have conceled weapons (legitimate or other wise) scares the hell out of me.

I'm sure bigjohn is a smart, honest, and very responsible gun owner with a permit to carry and it is not the bigjohns of the world that I worry about. It is those ppl who have a permit to carry that are not smart, responsible and honest that truely scare me. Which begs the question: since I'm so afraid of those folks (and I know there out there) who are not responsible, smart, and honest yet have a permit to carry, should I myself get a gun just to put myself on an even playing field?

Last edited by mwc; 04/16/04 08:55 PM.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#41630 04/16/04 09:11 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
In reply to:

so i just try and absorb all these different 'beliefs', and compare them to mine.. maybe i will change my mind a little bit, maybe they will change theirs. its all about the communication.

And you say you're not as eloquent as others? That was very well said.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters