Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
50 worst music acts of all time
#42456 04/21/04 12:30 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Blender Magazine recently named what they consider to be the 50 worst music acts of all time. If list isn't the biggest piece of chit I have ever seen. Sure there are alot that belong on there. But The Doors?? ELP?? Creed?? Asia?? Yngwie Malmsteen?? Manowar?? Iron Butterfly?? Among others sure don't belong on there.

Here is their list for what it's worth.

1. Insane Clown Posse
2. Emerson, Lake and Palmer
3. Michael Bolton
4. Kenny G
5. Starship
6. Kansas
7. Asia
8. Vanilla Ice
9. Lee Greenwood
10. Air Supply
11. Latoya Jackson
12. Tin Machine
13. Mick Jagger
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
15. Yanni
16. Oingo Boingo
17. Benzino
18. Pat Boone
19. Dan Fogelberg
20. Howard Jones
21. The Alan Parsons Project
22. Primus
23. Creed
24. Bad English
25. Jamiroquai
26. Celine Dion
27. Colour Me Bad
28. Crash Test Dummies
29. Skinny Puppy
30. Richard Marx
31. Arrested Development
32. The Hooters
33. Japan
34. Live
35. Paul Oakenfold
36. 98 Degrees
37. The Doors
38. Nelson
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
43. Mike and the Mechanics
44. Manowar
45. Gipsy Kings
46. The Spin Doctors
47. Goo Goo Dolls
48. Master P
49. Toad the Wet Sprocket
50. Iron Butterfly

Re: 50 worst music acts of all time
#42457 04/21/04 01:07 PM
shareholder in the making
There are 9 in that list that I completely disagree with. Which ones? I ain't tellin'.

#42458 04/21/04 01:33 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think that same magazine did a '50 worst songs' of all time.. i saw it on 'cold pizza' on espn2 the other morning. its not like these are done on a survey or anything.. its a bunch of underachievers, sitting around eatin stale doritos, playin their 20th season of madden football on play station, and sucking in more bong water than smoke. one says, "hey, that vanilla ice sure sucks".. and off they go. i get this visual of these idiots starting with a good idea, then ending up at the local starbucks the next morning, trying to drink enough latte to stay awake and finish this stupid list, that seemed like a great idea 6 hours earlier..

i dont need blender, or any magazine, to tell me what is good or bad music.. i am intelligent enough to make my own decision as to what i like. thanks, but no thanks..

did i wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or what??

BTW- monstermile- i have been listening to some classic maiden as of late.. beast, killers, live after death, powerslave... lovin' it..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#42459 04/21/04 02:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You go bigjohn, you go.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#42460 04/21/04 02:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How Starship didn't get number 1 is beyond me.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#42461 04/21/04 02:22 PM
Man, there's a bunch that don't belong on there. Are they talking about live shows, albums, songs, the group in general, what? If they didn't have 98 degrees on there, I'd say they're just a bunch of Top 40 pop-loving trolls, but... I'm surprised they didn't put the Beatles on there because they're "hard to understand!"

And they missed Korn and Limp Bizkit.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#42462 04/21/04 02:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
John, you are one of the most eloquent crackers I've ever had the pleasure to run into. You're a joy. Outspoken (which I happen to appreciate), but a joy.

One of the great things about getting older is that you come to the realization that "good" and "bad" need have nothing whatsoever to do with "like" and "dislike."

Using films as an example, the generally accepted "best" movie ever made is Citizen Kane. I won't dispute the "best" label, but I've never liked the movie. It just never has reached into me and touched something in my head or heart, and moved me. And, (here's the good part) it doesn't bother me, in the least that I don't like it, nor does it bother me if others DO. I no longer need to justify my "likes" and "dislikes" by the generally accepted "goods" and "bads." Truly liberating.

There are a number of artists on that list that I don't believe belong there (though I'm not sure if the list is criticizing their music, or only their live performances). In all probability, many of you would think they DO belong there. It doesn't matter.

I've been a musician all my life. And, the only thing that matters about music, is that YOU enjoy it. "Good; "bad;" irrelevant. It is my fervent hope, that whatever type(s) of music you listen to, you listen because it stimulates your mind, touches your heart, lifts your soul, and makes life a little sweeter. The single greatest reward of being a musician (even a relatively unsuccessful one like me), is the knowledge that you've spent your life doing something that gives pleasure without doing any harm.

So you NEVER need to justify your musical likes and dislikes to anyone.................except yourself.

OH GAD! I apologize for this philosophical diatribe. Chalk it up to no breakfast yet, hence low blood sugar. I'll go eat now.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#42463 04/21/04 02:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm just curious...does anyone here subscribe to Blender? Is there good content in the magazine? Where do they come up with this stuff? I can look at a list of say, the 50 hottest women in Hollywood and it makes sense. They (for the most part) choose people with universal appeal. This list seems well beyond arbitrary... I would be upset that I had paid for this if I were a subscriber, it's neither informative nor amusing. They could probably have made it a list of 25 acts and made it have some universal acceptance. If it were funny at least, that would be something but it's just a waste of time, paper, and ink that has the indecency of appearing to come from some authority.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#42464 04/21/04 03:07 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
In reply to:

BTW- monstermile- i have been listening to some classic maiden as of late.. beast, killers, live after death, powerslave... lovin' it..

I can listen to Powerslave over and over again and never get tired of it. Same with their first. All of the years I have been into Maiden (21) I still have never liked Killers though.

#42465 04/21/04 03:36 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ringmir-

good job of making my point better than i could.. you are exactly right. its not funny, its not informative, its just a big flashy headline thay can splash on the cover so it looks good on the rack. and the authority you mentioned, HA.. couldnt agree with you more.. like their list is somehow 'official' cause its in blender magazine. its just their opinion, no better or worse than mine.. unfortunitely, i dont publish a magazine, so i guess my opinion dont count.. (yeah right)..

but what cracks me up, is that, sure as we are here saying how 'ridiculious' the list is.. somewhere else, a group of people are arguing about how 'correct' the list is.. different strokes for different folks..

I WANT TO PUBLISH MY OWN MAGAZINE..i will call it, 'MUSIC, GUNS, AND CHICKS'.. who wants the first copy.

monster- i pretty much dig it all, up til that block in the 90's when they replaced bruce.. at least he is back touring with them now, or he was last i heard? i think i am gonna go on an 80's trip for a while.. Dio, Dokken, Scorpions, Crue, and Ratt.. oh the memories..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082