Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fellow Car Buffs - Best Car Wax/Polish
#42641 04/22/04 03:42 PM
old hand
old hand
The process goes like this:

1. Wash car with Dawn dish detergent to remove any old wax;

2. Apply Z-1 (polish lok);

3. Apply as many coats of polish (Z-2, Z-3, OR Z-5) as you wish.

4. If you want, you can also apply Z-6 spray for more gloss, or just use that the next time you wash the car.

They have a new product (ZFX?) that I think combines steps 2 and 3.

Z-10, leather in a bottle, is a good leather treatment and gives your car a great smell.

Z-16, tire dressing, gives a sort of matte finish, not the super black, super glossy look that you see on a lot of cars. [photo of zaino'd tire]

If you have oxidized paint or it's not real smooth, get the claybar and use that after step 1.

The good thing is, the stuff goes a long way, and it is very easy to apply and buff off.

#42642 04/22/04 04:07 PM
veteran
veteran
what is your preferred method of application and buffing?
what are your preferred materials to use for applying and buffing the wax/polish?

#42643 04/22/04 04:47 PM
old hand
old hand
Zaino sells some little cotton terry applicator pads, which I use for applying. They recommend U.S. made, 100% cotton, white terry towels for removal of polish. Their stuff is liquid, and it goes on and off with no heavy muscle required.

By the way, I don't use their car shampoo anymore. Didn't seem much different than stuff I buy at the local auto parts (McGuires, I think).

#42644 04/22/04 05:12 PM
veteran
veteran
the last waxing i did was with turtle wax. that stuff is hell in a bottle. i'll never use it again.

it will be relieving to have the same sort of wax that goes on my guitar (liquid). i use meguiar's guitar polish for my guitars and it works like a charm. http://www.zzounds.com/item--FENA990508000

#42645 04/22/04 05:23 PM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Huffer -

I followed the instructions on the Zaino site and washed the car using Dawn. I then used a clay bar, but I used a clay bar made by Mother's. I was told Mother's made a good clay bar and it was just as good as the one Zaino sells.

I purchased Z-1,Z-2,& Z-6 to do the polish job. When I called to order those, I asked the guy (his name was Nick) on the phone about their tire gloss. After taking his word that their tire gloss would be superior to what I was using (Tire Wet), I went ahead and ordered it. I have only used the Z-16 tire gloss once so far; but I can tell you it has lasted considerably longer than my Tire Wet would have. Also, it dries quickly and does not spin off the tire onto the wheel wells/quarter panels when driving. My Tire Wet was infamous for that.....even after allowing hours for dry time. After I applied the Z-16, I waited about an hour and then drove the car. It did not spin off the tires and get all over. I was very happy indeed. Also, my friend that turned me on to Zaino uses Z-16 on his interior....the plastic and rubber areas. He says the shine is amazing plus you get all the UV protection that the product offers. I haven't tried this yet, as I have been devoting most of my spare time to the outside of the car so far.

One other thing that I really like about Zaino is the fact you can apply it in direct sunlight. No more driving over to your parents or friends home to borrow some shade to wax your car (for those that are apartment dwellers). I used to rent an apt. until last November, and I hated the fact I always had to go somewhere else to do my car. Now I have a one car garage.....and its kinda tight in there. I probably could polish the car inside the garage if I had to. But that is just it....IF I HAD TO. I put all 3 coats on my car out in the driveway in the sun. Nice and roomy...plus I got a start on a tan.

#42646 04/22/04 07:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
kc, i used to use malm's and considered zaino, but the multiple steps was just too much for me. i've an extended cab pick up, and even with a buffer, twice a year is it for me. i now use mother's carnuba w/out cleaner.
dan

#42647 04/23/04 12:45 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Dan -

I could have bought the ZFX accelerator and made it a 2 step process; but it is new and I was going on the recommendation of my friend. Maybe next time I will try the ZFX accelerator.

Even though using the Z-1 is a 3 step process, the Z-1 only has to be applied the first time. After that, its a 2 step process.

Secondly, Zaino goes on much thinner than any other polish I have seen or used. It barely leaves a haze when it dries and hardly takes any effort to buff off by hand. That actually saves time, IMO.

I really didn't time the process, but each additional coat after the first coat probably takes the same amount of time it used to when I used Zymoil, etc.

#42648 04/23/04 12:56 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Metalaaron -
You get a free applicator pad with a purchase and I used that to apply the Z-1. I used the other side of that applicator to apply the Z-2. (you don't buff off the Z-1..the Z-2 goes directly over the Z-1). I then spray the Z-6 gloss enhancer on the car and use a 100% cotton cloth to wipe it on. I use a different, dry cotton cloth to buff it dry. Z-6 dries quickly, so once you get it wiped on, you immediately begin to buff dry.

Between each application, I washed the applicator pad and cotton cloths in the washer using hot water.

#42649 04/23/04 03:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mike, I have been a loyal Zymol customer for 15 years, but with all the glowing reviews, I'll have to give the Draino.. I mean Zaino a try.

I must say though, with the first of 3 kids showing up five years ago, detailing the car is low on the honey-do list these days. PLUS the fact that the most expensive vehicle in the drive now is HER Odyssey......

Got married, lost the convertible. Bought a house, lost the boat. Had kids, lost the top of the line Accord. Hmmm.... is there a pattern here?

Ok, so you older guys - Ford, Ray, Jack - how about some insight. What do I lose when the kids go to University? What do I lose when I get a mistress? I've already started to lose my hair.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#42650 04/23/04 03:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Ok, so you older guys - Ford, Ray, Jack - how about some insight. What do I lose when the kids go to University? What do I lose when I get a mistress? I've already started to lose my hair.

Been single all my life so I'm not much help here. Still got my hair, too. I don't mean to rub it in, BUT
LIFE IS GOOD!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617