Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
An evening with mwc in Dallas
#42784 04/23/04 12:17 AM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
I had the great privilege of meeting mwc this last Tuesday while I was in Dallas on business. He invited me to his home for an evening of music.

Upon my arrival -- and immediately after making a "You're taller than I expected" comment -- he showed me into the kitchen (where his younger son was diligently doing homework) and offered me a beer. From there, we hit the HT room.

He has a pair of Magnepan MG12s connected to an Odyssey Stratos amp (the same kind pictured here), which is fed by his new Denon 3805. Sources were a CD megachanger (I forget the brand), and a Sony SACD/DVD changer. A Hsu VTF-3 covers the bottom end of things.

He invited me to take the helm -- a very comfortable La-Z-Boy. Then I proceeded to enter audio heaven. Make no mistake -- Magnepans are amazing speakers and you are really shooting yourself in the foot by not giving them a listen. They may not be much to look at, but boy do they put you IN the music. We listened to Instrumental Jazz (Wynton Marsalis), Vocal Jazz (Joni Mitchell singing Gershwin arr. by Herbie Hancock), Blues (Robert Cray), Bluegrass (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band), Rock (Pink Floyd), more Rock (Dire Straits), and more more more. We had plenty of opportunity to discuss highly important issues between tracks, as well.

About 2 hours in, his wife came home. Now, my immediate instinct when a woman comes home is to reach for the remote and turn down the volume. After he introduced me, he assured me the volume was not a problem and we resumed. You are a very lucky man, Mike, but I think you know this.

Anywho, After the 3rd hour my ears were crying with joy but it was time to wrap things up. Before I could leave, though, Mike insisted I take a bottle -- better make that three bottles -- of wine home with me. And (why the hell not?) a 2-CD Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album as well.

Mike, your hosting was the definition of gracious. I was a pleasure meeting you and your family. I had a blast and I owe you one.

Re: An evening with mwc in Dallas
#42785 04/23/04 12:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Too cool, Peter and Mike. Wish I could've been there. Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#42786 04/23/04 12:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
An excellent report Peter but where are all the photos?
Darn it, i really need those visuals.

Almost makes me wish i had another reason to go back to Texas. Also makes me wonder just who would show up at an Axiom Anniversary party and just how many bottles would arrive with them.
Well wine does cool nicely in the lake.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#42787 04/23/04 03:23 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Peter,

I must tell you again what a great joy it was to have you over and you are welcome anytime. I don't have any local friends who really understand my audio hobby/obsession so it is always a delight to have someone over who shares the passion. It was such a laid back relaxing time. You were so easy to talk to it felt like having an old friend over.

Yes, I admit that I was initially awe struck by your physical presence upon first glance. For those of you who haven't met Peter, I'm 6'1" and he towered over me with a very trim and fit statuesque profile worthy of a DiVinci sculpture. Why, if I were a young woman in search of a strapping young man of good breeding stock…uh…never mind. BTW, that La-z-y Boy is an oversized model but you fit in it quite nicely.

In reply to:

About 2 hours in, his wife came home. Now, my immediate instinct when a woman comes home is to reach for the remote and turn down the volume. After he introduced me, he assured me the volume was not a problem and we resumed. You are a very lucky man, Mike, but I think you know this.

Thanks for the kind words here Peter. I’m truly a rich man in this respect.

In a way, I’m sorry that we didn’t have time to compare the KEFs & Axioms & Maggies but then hooking up and unhooking all that stuff would have taken away from our listening time. Perhaps the next time we’ll do some component/speaker comparisons if there is time to spare.

I hope you enjoy the Texas wines and the bluegrass cd (you might enjoy the bluegrass more after a half a bottle of that Texas wine). BTW, did you have a chance to visit Sushi’s hideout?

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#42788 04/23/04 03:41 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Jack,
I wish you could have been there too. Let me know if you ever plan to pass this way.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#42789 04/23/04 03:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Jack,
I wish you could have been there too. Let me know if you ever plan to pass this way.

Ah! Good ol' Texas hospitality. Very gracious of you, Mike. If I ever get down Dallas way, I'll let you know. Thank you.

Jack

#42790 04/23/04 04:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Wow - such a friendly board atmosphere, where people meet and audition audio systems with eachother! Impressive.

#42791 04/23/04 06:24 PM
devotee
devotee
Have you guys heard the Nitty Gritty Surround DVD-Audio from AIX records. It sounds really great.

#42792 04/23/04 06:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Been thinking about buying it, Andrew. I think you just bumped me off the fence.

Jack

#42793 04/23/04 06:51 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
OP Offline
Ouch! Hopefully it wasn't chain-link. You can get some nasty snags getting bumped off one of those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup