Print Thread
Rate Thread
Help! Which Axioms for 16x12 room?
#4362 07/14/02 03:57 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Gang

I was all set to buy Paradigm Titans or Atoms until I cam acroos you guys. As I stated in my subject line, my "home theater room" (ie living room) has the dimension of 16 ft in the N-S direction and 12 ft in the E-W direction. There are solid walls to the N, S, and W. It is open to the E. Our sofa is right up against the S wall. The TV is a few feet away from the N wall. Keep in mind that I will have to mount the rears on the S wall.
So, what do you guys recommend? I have an $800 or so budget. I am going to be keeping my Energy ES-8 sub for now. I have the original Take 5 system that I am wanting to upgrade. Hopefully the Axioms will sound better for music than the Take 5.
Any suggestions for Axiom speakers and mounting brackets that will allow me to "point" the speakers down to the listening level? Thanks!

Tom

By the way, these will be connected to a Sony STR-DA 5ES or Denon 3802.

Re: Help! Which Axioms for 16x12 room?
#4363 07/14/02 06:14 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
Firstly, if you want your system to sound better with music, don't buy the Denon 3802. I've A/B's it against a few receivers with disappointing results, and What Hi-Fi concurs that the 3802 is weak with music. I found it bright, flat, and lacking musicality in the midrange. Receivers by Outlaw, Yamaha, Onkyo, and especially Arcam will all beat the Denon with music. I haven't auditioned that Sony model.

As far as speakers go, factory outlet M40s are a sickening bargain that will blow away any speaker within 300 bucks of the price, but can be unforgiving of cheap digital sources. Unless you get a cheaper receiver, or wait on replacing your center or surrounds, they would probably blow your budget as well.

For all-around top-flight bargain performance, you'll love the M3. Two pairs of M3s and a VP-100 (within your budget if you buy from the factory outlet or a Canadian dealer) will bring such a huge smile to your face, you'll never want to turn the system off. M3s in the front and M2s in the back will also work well, and might free up some extra bucks for software.

Happy shopping!!

#4364 07/14/02 08:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
it's simple, if you ask me

buy the best ones you can afford.

#4365 07/15/02 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello,

Did you mean $800 for left and right mains, center, and surrounds?

Here I go again. As Dolby Labs specify, surround speakers are intended to go to the SIDE of the listening area, not on the rear wall. Is there room below the ceiling on the E wall where you could mount a QS4? The QS surrounds don't have to be at equal heights or distances from the listeners.

Good advice from all but I'd recommend a pair of M22ti's for your front left and right mains with QS4 quadpolar surrounds.

Check out www.omnimount.com and www.vogelsusa.com for a variety of mounting brackets. The QS4s come with brackets for wall mounting. They don't need to be pointed towards the listening area.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082