Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
speakers for kitchen
#45499 05/10/04 03:57 AM
bendit Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm looking at a pair of axiom bookshelf speakers for my new kitchen.

I'm looking at the m3ti or m2i. I'm thinking of wall mounting them and pointing them down to the main kitchen area from near the top of the wall (around 9 feet).

If I'm playing music in the living room I can hear it fairly well in the kitchen so when I put speakers in the kitchen the sound will be mixing a bit. In the living room I have paradigm atoms.

I'm torn between just matching with the paradigms or trying out the axioms. I have a yamaha amp, so I'm not what you'd call an audiophile but I like half decent sound.

Anyone have any advice? Would this be a good setup? Not enough bass? Should I just match the paradigms in the other room?

My kitchen is about 14 feet by 10 feet and very reflective.

Re: speakers for kitchen
#45500 05/10/04 05:17 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think you would be delighted with Axiom speakers, and that "mixing" brands in two different rooms would not give you any adverse results. Many people find the Axiom sound to be similar to Paradigm.

The risk is that you'd start liking the Axioms better

Without a sub, the M3ti would be a terrific choice for that application. I have M60's in my main listening room, but am planning to put M3's in the kitchen when I can afford both them and the zone 2 amp to drive them.

BrenR and 2x6spds are both forum regulars that own M3's and can attest to their sonic character. They're not *tiny" boxes, though. So check the dimensions if that is a critical element.

With the 30 day return policy, you can't really lose. I don't imagine shipping on a pair of the smaller Axioms would be very expensive even if you decided to return them. But my hunch is that you would compare them favorably to your Atoms.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#45501 05/10/04 05:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes indeed, check the measurements carefully. I bought a pair of M2i's and love them to death, but they are much larger than I was expecting.

#45502 05/10/04 06:01 AM
bendit Offline OP
OP Offline
Looking at the specs again the m3i are pretty big for putting up in a corner. I was concerned that the m2i's wouldn't have enough bass. Not that I'm bass crazy or anything, it's just that the one review keeps mentioning it.

#45503 05/10/04 06:24 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If it's for just in the kitchen, I think they'll sound great. I use mine with my computer...sounds great.

#45504 05/10/04 06:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bendit, for stand alones - I'd go with the M3Ti's! They will fill your kitchen with beautiful music - it'll definitely help with the art of food preparation. Mounted 9' high and angled down a bit should work very nicely. The Axiom brackets will hold them up very nicely.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#45505 05/10/04 07:17 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Looking at the specs again the m3i are pretty big for putting up in a corner.

Hmm.. that they might be... depends if you can spare the space.

In reply to:

I was concerned that the m2i's wouldn't have enough bass. Not that I'm bass crazy or anything, it's just that the one review keeps mentioning it.

Well, as long as you're not looking to have... um... your junk jiggling... the M3s push out some pretty good low end... I have a pair as my mains in my HT without a sub and they do admirably, but - like you - I'm not a bass junkie.

Bren R.

#45506 05/10/04 02:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
bendit,

One point of note regarding installing speakers in the kitchen: I would suggest installing any speakers on the wall that is farthest away from the stove facing into the kitchen...

Reason: Grease / oils do break into smaller components when you are cooking...tends to float around on the air currents...and sticks to any surface...

Don't think aluminum cones work well with a layer of grease on them...

If you have a sub and are running it concurrently with the speakers in the kitchen, you may be able to get by with the M2's otherwise your best bet would probably be the M3's for bass support.

My .02,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#45507 05/10/04 03:39 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Regarding mounting - with the ambient noise in kitchens, you would not expect to have optimal imaging, etc. So, it makes some sense to me to mount the speakers horizontally rather than vertially. Seems to me like you'd save quite a bit of space that way, as it would enable them to be closer to the ceiling, and closer to the wall while maitaining the same downward angle. The Axiom shape is uniquely suited to such an approach.

Really, either one of the smaller Axiom bookshelf models would be a great choice for that application. They are both slightly larger than your Atoms, but not by an order of magnitude or anything.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#45508 05/12/04 12:44 PM
old hand
old hand
Bendit, I would have to agree with WhatFurrer on this one. 2 points here:

My living room is the size of your kitchen and is very reflective too (I do not have any sound absorbing material save for 2 tiny thin curtains). My M3s sound fantastic and the only issue that i have always is that the bass is very locational. I can hear the full bass only when I'm exactly in the sweet spot and few other locations in the room. But the midrange and highs sound excellent almost anywhere. I assume this is because my walls reflect plenty of sound. But the M3s have excellent overall sound and the upper bass hump is what suits me very well. You should be happy with them.

I have assembled a tiny amp (2Wx2) and speakers for my wife in the kitchen (10x10 ft). Everything's fine till now but there's plenty of grease and oil on/in the amp and speakers. Its impossible to remove the oil because the speakers have paper drivers and all this in just 2 months! We're not feeling too bad about it because I can always assemble a new one again. But spending $275 on M3s to get them oily is something I'm not very comfortable about. Unless you place them far far away from the stove.

Just my 2 cents too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020