Print Thread
Rate Thread
m50s and 2 channel music
#4554 07/25/02 01:58 PM
colesy Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I was playing around with my system last night. M50s run by a Denon 3802. I tried some music with my speakers set to large with the sub off and it seemed to sound the best to me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how they play music in 2 channel stereo and how it sounds the best to you?

J

Re: m50s and 2 channel music
#4555 07/25/02 07:39 PM
veteran
veteran
colesy

If your described setting sounds best to you for 2 ch music, then by all means - use it!

Personally, I keep my sub turned on for both music and HT. I have it's crossover setting and volume pretty low with my 60s so I really don't hear it too much on music unless I have the volume cranked up pretty good. Depending on the movie, I often turn the sub up for better LFE but otherwise, I think 60s (and the 50s as well) have pretty good bass output.

One suggestion: Continue to experiment with some crossover settings, volume (and possibly sub location) to see if you can find a combo that makes you happy most of the time. You still may want to lower the sub volume or turn it off completely for some music. (or you might need a different sub - but thats a whole different discussion topic).

Good luck!

Randyman

#4556 07/25/02 10:15 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Colesy, it depends on how good your sub is , compared to the bass in the M50s. A good sub should really do a better job up to 80-90hz than even mains that have good bass. On "large" you should also try the sub on but with its crossover set to the lowest frequency(which might not actually be very close to the 40-50hz which the dial might indicate). On "small" you have to be careful not to have the sub crossover interfering with the 80 hz Denon cross and affecting the sound in that frequency range. To prevent this the sub crossover should be bypassed if your sub is one of those which have a bypass provision. If not, the sub crossover should be set to its maximum frequency, to have it as far as possible above the Denon cross.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#4557 07/26/02 09:03 PM
colesy Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
OOOHHH Randyman! You have no idea what would happen to me if I bought another sub. More children would be out of the question if you know what I mean. I caution those of you that recommend that noobs like me buy more stuff until they find some type of medication to cure upgraditis. Actually Randyman I am going to recalibrate my sub. I read on a different post that suggested you keep your volume dial on your sub wide open and your sub output on your receiver as low as possible. I just don't think it sounds "perfect" that way.

Colesy

#4558 07/27/02 08:30 PM
veteran
veteran
Sorry colesy
I really didn't mean to recommend that you get a new sub. I don't even know what you have! I think that would be a last resort kind of thing anyway.

I am curious - where did you read about those sub settings you mentioned. It doesn't pass MY logic test to set the sub's amp all the way up and turn down the receiver's sub output really really low. As I recall, many receivers don't even have that capability - at least the ones I am familiar with.

Randyman

#4559 07/27/02 09:08 PM
colesy Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Randyman,
It's okay just givin you a hard time. Sony SA-WM40 by the way. Here is the link to the calibration issue. I would be interested in hearing your opinion.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82070&highlight=sub+calibration

Colesy

#4560 07/27/02 10:46 PM
veteran
veteran
Thanks! Interesting reading.

I think Vince makes some good points esp. with his 3 methods of calibration described about halfway down the page. Indeed if your receiver has the capability to directly adjust the sub output voltage - then keeping the signal relatively low SHOULD increase it's headroom and reduce possible clipping. (My Sony has no such provisions - but it was built just when DD was coming out). But I think I would still run the receiver's output somewhat above the lowest possible setting. (I still buy into the S/N and signal loss issues - depending on the length of and quality of the cable from receiver to the sub). Running your sub's amp at a higher gain is really no problem - as long as the input to the sub is kept low! It's all a relative ratio. (Your particular sub is not a high end/sophisticated unit like a SVS or Axiom...(or others) I am not being critical here - I have a simple 100W (10") Kenwood SW 301 - similar to your Sony). So some of the possible set up procedures listed on that page my not be possible for you (and certainly not me) and others. But it's still good info.

Again, my recommendation would be to go for the middle ground before trying either extreme.

Work it work it and find what sounds the best to you!

Randyman

#4561 07/28/02 11:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

Randyman is correct. Set the receiver's sub output level to no more than the mid-way setting and the subwoofer gain somewhere between the 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock position. Most input and output levels are more or less standardized to keep distortion at residual levels when you set up the controls as I've described. If you set the receiver sub out level as low as you mentioned, the signal-to-noise on the sub signal would be lousy because the signal would be just above the noise floor of the receiver's subwoofer output preamp.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082