Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I Have Special Needs
#45905 05/13/04 08:49 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I would like to get help on my speaker decision from the considerably knowledgeable individuals of this forum. I'm setting up a HT in my bedroom. Being a quadriplegic I spend quite a few hours flat in bed. And because of a need to avoid pressure soars I can't crank the ead of the bed up.

This leaves me with an awkward viewing/listening position. Below is a link to a room layout. Viewing you'll notice the obvious things, but what isn't obvious is the placement of the Samsung DLP. It's sitting atop the A/V center about 41" above the floor. This places the center speaker just below.

The equipment I'll be getting is either the Denon AVR-3805/DVD-2200 or the Pioneer 55Txi/47AVi combo. Now, of course, my question concrns speakers and it is this:

Should I go with what you see in the layout, or go with the M60ti?

I'm looking at a 60/40 split between movies/tv & music. I have a varied music collection, but the majority is blues-rock, prog-rock, & jazz.

Do you think the M60ti's (my first choice) will be blocked by the bed frame thereby reducing the sound?

At what hieght should I place the QS8's? Keep in mind the computer table is tall. And because of the sliding doors, there is only 18" to work with from the front of the room. Front being the window side.

I think that covers it.

[image]http://www.members.cox.net/razorface/Bedroom.image[/image]

--- RazorFace
Re: I Have Special Needs
#45906 05/13/04 08:56 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
lets try the link like this

ok, now let me go look at it and give you my advice..

BTW- welcome to the site. hope we can help you with your choices.

i am getting a file not found error 404.. check the link, or server, and see what you can do.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#45907 05/13/04 09:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite

#45908 05/13/04 09:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
spiff, i have no idea how you did that?? but thanks.

razor- by looking at the diagram, it seems like this is a 12x12 room. i think the M60's would be overkill in this room. with the quality sub that you have, the M22 will be more than sufficient to supply your mids and highs, and the sub will pick up the bottom end.

as far as the QS8's, the company suggets to place them "at least 1 foot from the ceiling". i dont believe there are any specific guidelines as to how low you can place them. i know the stands they sell for them are approx 30 inches high, so i would say if you placed them about a foot higher than your "'normal' ear position, you should be fine.

sounds like you are building a rockin system there.. the people with denons swear by them, so i dont think you can go wrong there.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#45909 05/13/04 09:40 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thnx bigjohn!

About the QS8s. If they can be mounted 2 feet from the ceiling (8' ceiling) that would be perfect. Of course there is the question, 'How far from the front wall to place them?'

Would 9" to 15" be good placment?

As the diagram portrays, is this the correct wall?

Thnx

--- RazorFace
#45910 05/13/04 09:42 PM
local
local
First of all, welcome. I think that with the height of the bed, and your position on it, that you may indeed lose some of the imaging. The higher frequencies are much more directional than bass energies and require a clear "line of sight". If from your position you can see the mids and tweeters then you should be fine. If they are hidden from you then I would be more inclined to go with a bookshelf speaker and sub arrangement. You would also be able to play with the height of the front speakers much more easily and really get the soundstage where you want it. Your best results may come from mounting the fronts at about the center of your screen or perhaps a bit higher.

#45911 05/13/04 09:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey RazorFace. (Ya gotta put, at least, your first name in your profile. I feel silly calling you Raze, for short ) Welcome!

I'm sure others will chip in too, but I'll kick it off. Your room seems to be roughly 12' x 15'. The 22s would work just fine in a room that size. However, if you have the money, and the itch, you can get away with the M60s in that size room, too. If you're worried about the height, see if someone in your area would be willing to build you a couple of simple stands like mine.

The camera flash washes out the flat black paint job. In normal lighting they look much darker, and are a closer match to the M60s. They were not complicated to build(well.....they were for a four-thumbed klutz like me), and anyone with a little carpentry skill could make them for you (and believe me, I have a little as anyone. No one side of either stand is exactly perpendicular or parallel to any other ). Mine are roughly 13 1/2" high, and that gets all the drivers and the front port of my M60s above my sofa arm. Again, though, I state that the M22s would fill your room very well.

The QS8s should be, roughly, 1 to 4 feet above your ears. If your position varies (like from being flat on your back to sitting up), place them at a compromise height, like 1 foot above your ears when you're sitting up, which would place them higher, but still in an OK position when you're lying down.

Keep us posted on what you decide, please.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#45912 05/13/04 09:58 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Ok, thnx Ajax!

If I go with the M60s, is the placement distance from the A/V center going to be similar, or should I move them out/in further?

And how far from the wall? Even with the front of the A/V center?

Thnx, Mykyl

--- RazorFace
#45913 05/13/04 10:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Michael,

Before I answer your questions I want to point out that, in real world situations, the "best" speaker placement isn't always possible. Physical restrictions caused by room size and layout, furniture placement, etc. often dictate where things are placed. Don't agonize over it. Do the best you can, then sit back (or, as in your case, lie back), relax and enjoy the movies/music.

Generally, it is recommended that the distance from your ears to either front speaker should be the same as the distance between the speakers; speakers 8 feet apart, your ears 8 feet from each front speaker. Having said that, sometimes I'm the correct distance from my M60s, sometimes I'm at my desk farther away. I think things sound good in both situations.

The 60s have two rear firing ports and they need room to breathe. It has been said, that they can be as close to the back wall as 3 or 4 inches . I suspect it is better for them to be a little farther from the wall, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Depending on how close the M60s are to the A/V center, the front surface of the speakers should be, at least, an inch or two farther from the back wall than the front surface of the A/V center (out in front of the A/V center). You don't want sound reflecting off the sides of the A/V center.

The ideal positioning of the 2 front speakers and the center channel speaker is a subtle arc, with your ears roughly the same distance from each speaker. Again, I can't achieve that exactly with my setup. If you can't either, don't make yourself crazy about it.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#45914 05/14/04 01:34 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Welcome Michael. If the room is truly 12x12, you have ample speaker power with your choices. You could probably do with a bit less (VP100 and QS4s), but the other equipment you are getting indicates that we're not working on a shoestring budget. BTW, the Denon set is special.

With that beautiful SVS sub, the M22s will work well and might give you more flexibility for mounting higher. However, if you can elevate the M60s as Jack suggests, that's your answer. I'm not sure I've added anything here, but I wanted to weigh in and welcome you to Axiomville. We have really big Ticks in this town. (I'm still giggling about that)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters