Print Thread
Rate Thread
DTS Surround ?
#46125 05/17/04 11:34 AM
cocheex Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
i have the onkyo 701 receiver with 6.1 speaker setup. my understanding is the dts discrete es 6.1 is the best format to listen to for my setup, right? i put in bruce almighty which says dts on the back, and i only get dts matrix option. is there different forms of dts on dvd's that i need to look for?

Re: DTS Surround ?
#46126 05/17/04 11:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In my opinion, dts-es discrete 6.1 should be the best. The only problem is that to my knowledge, the Bruce Almighty DVD doesn't come with a dts-es discrete encoded soundtrack. Instead, it mentions 5.1 dts-es. By definition, it would have to be a matrix-ed in rear center if you are trying to extract 6.1 channels from the 5.1 encoded channels.

The best you can do is just use the receiver's matrix decoding technology. I believe that it works quite well anyways, similar to the center channels in Dolby Digital or in Dolby 3 Stereo.

#46127 05/17/04 12:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
chex- i dont know the format offered on the 'bruce almnighty' dvd, but with the 6.1, you should be able to get the ES discrete option. i was curious why i couldnt get it, til i figured out it is only for 6.1 set-ups, and not 5.1.

another thing you might need to do, in case you didnt. before you start the movie, on the menu, go to either 'audio options', or 'languages', and some have it under 'set-up'. choose to play the 'DTS' or 'dolby surround 5.1' as the sound option. once you do this, when the movie plays, the 701 will automitacally go into the DTS or DD mode, depending on which ever you choose. and if you have the setting in the receiver set to have a rear surround, it should go into the ES mode.

give that a shot and see if it helps.

BTW- did you get your other probs fixed theis weekend??

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#46128 05/17/04 07:04 PM
cocheex Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
yes bigjohn, i took care of most of my problems this weekend, thanks a lot for the help...(im still tinkering with a few things so i might be hitting you up with a few more ?'s) when i put the bruce almighty dvd in i do not have the dts es discrete surround option, just matrix. this is the only dts dvd i have tried so i figured it just wasn't encoded for it. i saw the dts on the back and thought that meant i could listen to it in dts discrete 6.1, but i guess not. anybody know some good dts dvd's i can get that has the discrete 6.1 in it??? also, where's the best place to get dts dvd's, best selection, etc.?

#46129 05/17/04 07:19 PM
old hand
old hand
According to DTS, there are only 38 dts discrete 6.1 DVD's in Region 1.

Here's where you can look them up: http://www.dtsonline.com/home&car/hometheatre/dvd-titles.php

Last edited by Twirly22; 05/17/04 07:20 PM.
#46130 05/17/04 07:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
chex-

glad you got your other probs figured out. feel free to PM with anymore questions.. i will help with what i can.

as far as DTS movies and where to get them.. pretty much anywhere that sells DVDs. amazon, barnes&nobles, and all your local retailers.. you just have to look on the back of the dvd or look in the description(if buying on line), and make sure it has DTS. almost all of your newer moview will have at least dolby digital, and some will have DTS. i really prefer the way the DTS sounds, so i try and look for movies with that. but its all buyer beware kinda deal.. you have to look for what you wanna pay for..

its the same with full/wide screen. i hate when i buy a dvd, get it home, and then its full screen.. its my fault for not checking before i bought it. i ALWAYS look for that now. wide screen, and DTS.. always.

Twirly- great website, thanks

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#46131 05/18/04 04:54 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Coch, although DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete might be at least theoretically better, as the DTS site Twirly linked shows, there's a very limited selection of those DVDs available. It appears that the Bruce Almighty DVD doesn't have either type of 6.1 format. To give your 6th speaker some work, keep in mind that you can do things such as using Neo:6 instead of DPLII on 2-channel material and DD-EX on regular 5.1 DVDs to derive some information to be sent to the 6th speaker in back.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020