Print Thread
Rate Thread
New HT System
#4640 07/30/02 09:04 PM
J
jonesy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Firstly I am new to HT, so bear with me....
I am purchasing an Onkyo 797 receiver to control my HT system, I was looking at the M80Ti's for fronts and Qs4 for surround and the vp150 for centers. My questions are:
1.Is this a good combo?
2.Why should I pick Axiom over say Paradigm or Klipsch?
3.Is the Onkyo capable of powering the M80's (4ohms)
4.Would the subwoofer be need?
5.Should I look at another receiver for this speaker setup?
My HT room will be approx 14x19ft...with the TV on the 14ft axis.

Thanks

Re: New HT System
#4641 07/31/02 01:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hi jonesy.
Your component selection is very similar to the system i already own. So, from my own experience, i can say your expected equipment will be well matched.
I recently bought the Onkyo DS797 to power my M60s, QS8s, VP150 and EP350 subwoofer. The Onkyo brand name is well known for a'v receiver quality and the 797 came highly recommended to me by an audiophile professional friend. Onkyo is by no means the only solid brand name out there but it is a good choice.
It is capable of 6.1 channels and can power 4 ohm speakers such as the M80s.
If you are interested in different features or would like to hear some different receivers then i highly recommend you head around town and do some auditioning in local stores. You dont' have to buy, just go and listen.
In regards to your subwoofer question, that is always a personal decision. Just offhand though, the M80s are known for putting out a good range of base so i would suggest you try out the M80s first and if you want more bass or a dedicated sub then simply pick one up later.
As for choosing Axiom over Paradigm or Klipsch, the easiest way to answer your question would be "price for performance ratio". The Axioms are alot cheaper for equal or better quality than many of its competitors. Ultimately though your own ears will have to decide what is best for you.

good luck

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4642 07/31/02 12:52 PM
J
jonesy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks chesseroo:
I have auditioned receivers and quite frankly I cant tell the diff between the Denon, HK and Onkyo that I have heard. It boils down to bang for the buck I guess. As far as the Axioms vs others go a few friends swear by the Paradigms, and I have no way of hearing the Axioms at a dealer (I live in Virginia). I agree on the cost though, they are a great deal for quality craftmanship.
Would you or anyone be able to recommend a good amp that would work well with this system? Just in case I want more oompf.

#4643 07/31/02 03:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I haven't done much in the world of amps. In searching around a bit, the easiest (and cheaper) option for a decent a/v system was to go with an integrated receiver.
If however music is more your main concern, then amps/preamps might be the better pursuit. I was glancing at some Arcams not long ago, but there are really many possibilities. I love the Onkyo 797. It really is a natural sounding receiver, by far the best i've heard yet to date (but i also don't usually shop in the >$2500 range).

As for the Axiom auditioning, try out their 30d trial policy with a set of the smaller speakers like the M22s. You should be able to get a good idea of the Axiom 'sound'. Then if you return them, the cost of shipping of the 'bookshelf size' speakers is pretty low (i paid around $25 Cdn to return them to Axiom). If you liked the sound you could keep them or return them for the M80s you were really looking at.
I was also looking into Paradigm speakers many months ago before i stumbled across Axiom but those same 2 audiophile pro friends i have gave me some choice words about the quality of Paradigm speakers. I believe their reference line is worthy of purchasing but for the cost, the Axioms kick their _ss. Other than the sound quality, customer service is unparalelled, the forums are beyond helpful and the price is simply less. Take a look at my original review so long ago.
link to m60 and other speaker review
It might help to read some other M80 reviews or even M60 reviews in these forums. Do a search for Onkyo as well. I know that several other ppl here have the 797 model.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4644 07/31/02 04:48 PM
old hand
old hand
Jonesy,

Where in Virginia do you live? I'm in Manassas, and have the Epic Master system. It's a bit less of a system than you're looking to put together, but it can give you some idea of Axiom. If you're still looking to hear an Axiom system and are in, or can get to, northern Virginia, let me know and we'll set something up.

lando

lando
#4645 07/31/02 08:05 PM
J
jonesy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Lando - that would be awesome, unfortunately I live to far away. If I get an opportunity I will give you a holler. Thanks a lot anyway!

#4646 07/31/02 08:06 PM
J
jonesy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
CH: Thanks for the advice - you are right on all counts - I LOVE THIS MESSAGE BOARD!
ps....nice review, oh so long ago!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters