Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Axiom vs B&W vs Aperion vs JBL Northridge
#46650 11/19/04 08:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I have QS8s for both sides and rears. Elsewhere in the audio world, I've seen recommendations of a monopolar speaker for the sides and a dipolar speaker for the rear.

Hmmm? That seems to contradict what I've heard. I've heard dipolar (or bipolar or quadpolar) on the sides, and monopoles for the rears to be used with SACD and DVD-A as well as rear surrounds for 7.1. If you're not into SACD or DVD-A, I would think having QS8s on the sides AND in the rear would be FABULOUS! Even if you are into those two formats, you won't lose anything with 4 QS8s. When I go to 7.1, I'm thinking seriously of just adding 2 more QS8s.

Alan (Axioms' resident expert) has said (emphasis is mine, not Alan's):

"7. If I do add the extra two speakers at the rear for a 7.1-channel system, should I use direct-radiating speakers like the M2i or M3ti or the quad polar QS8s or QS4s?
In a general way, it's best to use rear speakers that are identical to the surrounds at the sides, although there is some controversy about this. Using identical surrounds at the sides and rear guarantees the same tonal balance and dispersion traits from all four surround speakers. However, many Axiom system owners report excellent results using QS8 or multidirectional surrounds at the sides and two direct-radiating M2i's at the rear.
"

And:

"9. I love the sense of surround envelopment that I get from my QS8 multipolar surround speakers with movie soundtracks, but I've read that the new DVD-A and SACD multichannel music formats are mixed using direct-radiating speakers at the rear. Will the QS8s work well for music playback?
Most of us do not have room to install two types of surround speakers--multipolar types for movie playback and direct-radiating speakers for surround music playback. A few A/V receivers have outputs for two types of surround speakers to meet this need directly, but experience suggests that for many rooms and setups, a multidirectional-type surround will function admirably for movie surround OR music playback. In real life, much of the ambient sound reaching our ears in clubs, auditoriums and concert halls comprises a rich mix of reflected sound, and given that most domestic rooms do not have the dimensions to generate this melange of reflections, a multipolar surround is the preferred choice. This subject remains somewhat controversial.
"

And, from the Axiom FAQ:

"Where should I place my surround speakers?
Ideally, surround speakers should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations. (see our dedicated stands for the QS Surround speakers in the Store). Rear center speakers for 6.1 and 7.1 installations are intended to go on the rear wall at about the same height as the surround speakers.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#46651 11/19/04 09:34 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Jeez, Jack. You are just The Researcher. I'm glad you put some original thought into the beginning of that post, or I'd really have to give you crap.

Just kidding. You know I'm just bitter because I did not have the diligence or discipline to cite the sources of my ramblings as you did.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#46652 11/19/04 09:53 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Guys,
I thought I looked up a web site last night that had pictures of speaker arrangements (DVD audio vs. movies), which recommended monopoles for dvd audio in the surround position, and dipoles for movies in the rear speaker position.

I'm afraid I'm unable to locate that site ...

However, the information you all provided was authoritative, and I'm going to follow your recommendation:
a. position the QS8s if possible a few feet above the ear level (surround and rear)
b. evaluate QS8s for DVD audio material, if they don't work out, substitute the rears for M22s.

Ananth

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3

#46653 11/20/04 01:00 AM
M
local
local
M
Okay, I'm also wiring up my room for the surrounds and I have a couple of questions to what I've read as being recommended.

I know that the Qs8's are supposed to be VERY forgiving but there seems to be some discrepancies on the recommendations.

In reply to:

from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish.

As Ajax post shows' Alan's write up suggests placing the surrounds 1->6 feet above listening level yet the QSS stands (designed specifically for the QS surround speakers) are only 36" high which would put the QS8's at about exactly listening level.

1) In actual practise has anyone found much improvement in placing the QS8's higher than listening level?

Alan also says you can place them "slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area IF you wish".

2) Does this mean placing them either forward or rearward is mostly optional and doesn't yeild any improvement? Has anyone found any improvement themselves by moving them forward or rearward?

I know I'm kind of asking "picky" questions BUT I would like to wire up my room for the QS8's this weekend so that I'll be ready to Plug & Play the QS8's when they get here.

The easiest placement for me is about ear level and maybe an inch or two behind the listening postion. So what do ya'll think can I go ahead as planned and wire up or should I really wait to experiment....?

Thanks, Jag

#46654 11/20/04 01:21 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm here for you, buddy. Useless, but here

How wide is your room at the listening point?

I think the reason the stands are so short is because it would not be practical or safe to have them taller.

Theoretically, the idea behind the quadpolar surrounds is to bounce a lot of signals around (make the surround content more diffuse). If you have them too low, a lot of the signal is going to end up being absorbed by the rug or the furniture instead of getting to your ears first. Likewise, the tweeter mounting angle suggests to me that you might be happier getting at least *some* direct signal (by mounting the speakers behind or in front of you) instead of getting basically only reflected sound or off-axis response (if they are in line with the listening position).

My *experience* is with the QS8's on the back wall about 2 feet above and a few feet to the sides of the couch (previously) and on the side wall about four feet above and three feet behind the couch (now - different room). Both setups were great, but it is MUCH more spacious now since I have some "room" behind the listening position.

I like mine slightly behind and above the listening position. My perception is that it gives me good fidelity and an excellent mix of direct and reflected sound. But they ARE really flexible, and how you live your life in your listening room matters a great deal.

Good luck. Post pictures. Remember to stay hydrated - wiring is thirsty work.

#46655 11/20/04 01:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Michael, the QSS stands are a less than optimal compromise. They can't be made any taller, and still be stable. They are for those who may not have an other choice but to mount them on stands. If possible, try to get the QS8s at least a foot higher than your ears.

I'm not sure why it is preferable to get the them "slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area," as opposed to directly to the side. But, I have mine a foot or two behind my seating, and I love them there.

Many of us have to compromise when it comes to placement. What you do, is your call. Don't agonize over it. Do the best you can, and don't worry about it.

Edit: I HATE it when Tom is quicker than I.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#46656 11/20/04 01:27 AM
shareholder in the making
Jack, you hate it when ANYONE is quicker than you!

My QS4s are very high up (right next to the ceiling and a bit forward of the listening position. I'm growing to like them more and more there, but I think it would be better if they were slightly behind, and probably a bit lower.

Woohoo! Another useless post!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#46657 11/20/04 02:07 AM
M
local
local
M
Thanks, Tom, Ajax, Kcarlile. And Tom you're not useless but very helpful! All of you!

Ooops I guess I'll need to be filling a few holes in my walls...

The room is about 11' feet wide and 18' long. I'll be sitting about 3' from the back wall.

I could place them a bit higher which seems to be what you're all saying. I just thought having them inline would give a bit better directional sound and given the multiple drivers the ambient sound wouldn't be a problem.

If I place them where I planned now they would be close to < 3' from the back corner. This is why I have them planned to be inline with the listening position because I thought I read a few feet from the back wall/corner is best .

How close to the back wall can I get?

Unfortunately, I have a door on one side of the room and a fireplace on the otherside such that if I want the QS8'S a similar distance from either the front or back wall I only have a few inches in which I can move them laterallly. I should beable to play with the vertical position more, but I'll likely have the faceplate ( which covers the opening in the wall for the wires) showing and not behind the speaker as planned.

Thanks all, Jag

#46658 11/20/04 02:23 AM
I'd put them only about a foot behind or ahead of the listening position; the manual has some measurement like that. I don't think it'll be a big deal to have them lined up exactly with the listening position (horizontally).

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#46659 11/20/04 04:29 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
My wife thought it was nice that you didn't add "completely" to your comment about my uselessness. Take 'em where you can get 'em.

See, context is everything. I think your instincts are probably good relative to your room configuration and the lateral placement. I probably wouldn't go any deeper into the corners either. But I would raise them up a bit still. It will be fine. No worries.

That's going to be a great system, especially with that sub (of which we are all jealous).

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020