Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: NRC data show Energy & Paradigm better than Ax
#47159 05/27/04 11:30 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Now I'm questioning my purchase of the Axioms. I stupidly actually LISTENED to the speakers (including the Paradigms) when all I apparently needed to do was download some charts and look at the lines. I honestly don't know what I was thinking.

Re: NRC data show Energy & Paradigm better than Axiom
#47160 05/28/04 05:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

#47161 05/28/04 08:03 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I'm an expert?

#47162 05/28/04 08:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Don't let it go to your head! Did you bring this weather with you? (Inside joke folks. Peter just flew into Cleveland and it's cloudy, 57 degrees and I'm freezing my a$$ off.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#47163 05/28/04 08:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
jbmjr,

Your statement, taken at face value, is misguided. Of course every speaker designer is always working to improve musical accuracy and fidelity of the products. But you should understand that the NRC curves must be viewed as a family of curves, and that they require careful interpretation by experts, read in context with data from double-blind listening tests of the particular speakers in question, especially if you are making comparisons between different brands and models.

Note also the date of the measurements. For example, the curves for the Axiom M80ti, measured by Soundstage in August, 2001, do not represent the performance of current production M80s. Speaker designers are always seeking to tweak the performance of models, and changes may occur in production. Part of my role at Axiom is to occasionally suggest small tweaks or refinements to the performance of a particular speaker, if it's achieveable without making other compromises.

Looking at one set of NRC curves in isolation is not very useful because the anechoic NRC curves do not tell the full story. The curves can be a reasonably good predictor of gross spectral aberrations or general trends in response. Some small irregularities can be insignificant in the upper octaves; but a nasty spike in a portion of the audio band where our ears are most sensitive (the midrange) may be quite audible. However, if the spike isn't repeated in the off-axis (45, 60, and 75-degree) measurements, it's unlikely to show up in the listening tests.

Moreover, small dips in response are inconsequential, whereas a large hump over a broad band of frequencies will almost always be heard in listening tests.

Even two different speakers that have generally similar, and smooth, frequency-response curves both on- and off-axis, will never sound identical in listening tests. "Similarly good," is a phrase I often used in blind tests where it was impossible to rank one speaker over the other, or they were ranked by a group of listeners within a few tenths of a point, which would make any tiny differences more likely the result of the listener location rather than inherent differences in the speakers.

The acoustics of speaker performance in rooms are so complex that technical measurements, at best, should only be used as a general guide. As much as we would all like the curves to be an absolute predictor, so the more obsessive part of our personality could say, "clearly, this is the best speaker," the science of speaker measurement is not there yet.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#47164 05/28/04 08:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't think so Jack. I'm setting on the 11th floor of an office building here in downtown San Francisco and looking outside it's sunny and about 70.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#47165 05/28/04 09:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i am sitting on the 5th floor, looking out.. it is partly cloudy, 10mph wind blowing west to east, and its about 93F degrees.

boat is already on the water, and i am heading to the lake as soon as i leave here in about 30 minutes.

ya'll have a good memorial weekend. i will!!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#47166 05/29/04 02:07 AM
J
jbmjr Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
J
I am just trying to decide which speakers to purchase, which is much harder than deciding on electronics.

#47167 05/29/04 02:36 AM
J
jbmjr Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
J
Alan, thank you for your explanation.

"Note also the date of the measurements. For example, the curves for the Axiom M80ti, measured by Soundstage in August, 2001, do not represent the performance of current production M80s"

Maybe you can have Soundstage measure newer versions of Axiom products to demonstrate their improved performance.

#47168 05/29/04 03:31 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
jbmjr, I've probably enjoyed my Friday evening libation too much to be objective, but this..
In reply to:

Maybe you can have Soundstage measure newer versions of Axiom products to demonstrate their improved performance.

strikes me as, at best, confrontational. I mean, why are you so much more fixated on graphs than on the listening experience? Either audition some Axioms somewhere, or with the return policy in mind, order some. Your crusade does not ring true to me.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020