Message Board Access
#47911 06/03/04 12:00 PM
J
JSkip Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
About one week ago, something changed on my PC that is preventing me from logging in from home. I think it may have been when I un-installed a toolbar that was mysteriously added to my internet explorer. When I access www.axiomaudio.com, I am asked for my username and password to login, it recognizes me, but when I try to get to the boards, it kicks me out again.

I have been working with someone from Axiom (James) who has been great and he thinks this is the issue:

The difficulty you're having is caused by the messageboard not being able to identify the referring website. This is the website containing the form you are trying to submit ... and it should always be "www.axiomaudio.com". This identification is needed to prevent spammers from spamming the messageboard from a remote location using a form that they created themselves. For some reason, your computer or a piece of hardware that is controlling your internet connection is preventing the referring information from being transmitted to the messageboard. Since the messageboard cannot identify your referring page, it is refusing to post your message. Unfortunately, I cannot override this feature of the messageboard as the UBBThreads messageboard software doesn't allow for it, and it would create a security hole.

He suggested adding the Axiom site to my internet options security and privacy tabs, but I still can not log in.

Has anyone else ever had this type of problem?

Thanks, John

Re: Message Board Access
#47912 06/03/04 01:12 PM
old hand
old hand
I've never had this problem but the first thing that came to mind is to make sure that cookies are enabled in your browser. Other than that I can't think of anything.

Pete

#47913 06/03/04 01:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The added toolbar sounds like spyware. I would suggest that you download a spyware detection program, and see what it finds. Bazooka is freeware.

Also, do you have current virus protection?

#47914 06/03/04 01:54 PM
J
JSkip Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I use McAfee anti-virus and it gets updated regularly. I'll try the Bazooka freeware when I get home tonight.

The software that I un-installed was I-search. The toolbar just appeared one day last week. I don't know if that caused this, but it coincides with the start of this problem.

Thanks

#47915 06/03/04 02:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Spybot S&D (search and destroy) is also a VERY highly rated spyware detector and remover. It is free, but he asks for donations.

Also Ad-aware finds and removes adware and spyware. It, too, is free, but there is a "pro" version which they charge for. I use the free version.

I've been using both for a long time, and am very pleased with them.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#47916 06/03/04 03:39 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Did you enable a firewall on your machine? I have heard that some people have problems with that, although I've used the Axiom boards through all kinds of firewalls (mostly hardware, but also the WinXP and OS X built in software firewalls).

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#47917 06/03/04 05:12 PM
J
JSkip Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
No firewall here. Keep the ideas coming!!

Thanks

#47918 06/03/04 06:02 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Jskip, what is in your hosts file. trying renaming hosts (no extenstion) to hosts.old, reboot and see if you can log in

vp150 m22ti's qs8's hk avr325 svs 25-31pci @22hz
#47919 06/03/04 06:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just remembered that I has a small problem when I first started posting here. I don't remember if it was EXACTLY the same problem you are having (old timers memory loss, ya know), but it turned out to be my pop-up blocker. It also blocked scripts. Once I set it to "always ALLOW pop-up/scripts from this WEB site," I had no further problems.

If you are NOT running a pop-up/script blocker, It's possible that little toolbar may have reset your security settings when it installed itself on your computer.

To find out, on the Internet Explorer toolbar (assuming that's what you use) go to Tools, Internet Options, Security. Unless you have customized your settings, the little slider should be showing a setting of "Medium."

If the little slider is not showing "Medium," You have a choice. You can reset the slider to "Medium," which will effect all your security settings. Unless you yourself have personally customized these settings, I think that's the thing to do, since that is the setting recommended by Microsoft.

Or, you can just reset only the "scripting" settings to see if that is the problem.

To do that, click on "Custom Level." Scroll down to "Scripting," and see if the 3 settings in that category are set to "enable."

If they aren't set to "enable, note what they are set to, and set them to "enable." Click "OK," "Apply," "OK," and see if that solved the problem.

If it didn't, you can go back in and reset the scripting settings the way they were, and try something else.

Hope you get this solved.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#47920 06/03/04 06:08 PM
J
JSkip Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I now have several possible solutions to try tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Any more thoughts????

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082