Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Please allow me to introduce myself...
#48111 06/04/04 06:58 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
... I'm a man of... nevermind.

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum (in case you couldn't tell). I was directed here by the fine folks at MikePortnoy.com after asking some basic questions about the state of modern music delivery systems (and video for that matter). I don't want to write a book here, but maybe it'll help to know how dumb I am, before you all help me get smart.

I'm 49 years old, and a life-long music player & lover. But over the years I have been criminally negligent with regards to keeping up with advances in technology in stereo systems. It's odd because I am very up on computer stuff. My home stereo system consists of (as it has for 20 years or so) a component receiver/amp with four stereo speaker outs hooked up to four speakers, placed in the 4 corners of my living room. It sounds good, but not great.

Recently people have started talking about 5.1 and 6.1 and I know absoltely nothing about those other than there are speakers that surround you and that there's a sub woofer and then different types of speakers depending on where they are placed. And that this also seems to be a standard relevant to Video/DVDs.

I guess to start off, can someone direct me to something I can read (I'm not typically a gear head) to bring me up to date on the basic changes that have taken place and where the evolution is heading?

Thanks.

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...
#48112 06/04/04 07:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Here's a good start for you. Axiom's resident expert, Alan Loftt writes up a nice newletter every month with lots of nifty tips and news. That should give you a good overview without getting all to technical.

How big is that room you've got for your system?

#48113 06/04/04 07:06 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
wow, this is the most broad post i have ever read.. man, you got some learning to do. there is such a wide scope of which you need to learn.. but dont worry, we were all there at one time.

i cant research right now, but i am sure someone will lead you in the right direction.. or i can make it easy..

buy axiom speakers, SVS sub, denon dvd/cd player, and an HK receiver.. connect it all together and you should be fine.

enjoy your quest for knowledge!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#48114 06/04/04 07:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

buy axiom speakers, SVS sub, denon dvd/cd player, and an HK receiver.. connect it all together and you should be fine.

There are of course an infinate combination of speakers, subwoofers, recievers, etc that would put you in audio bliss...

Start off reading those newsletters. That should get you up to speed, then we'll have some fun finding the perfect system for you. btw...Welcome to the boards!

#48115 06/04/04 07:13 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

There are of course an infinate combination of speakers, subwoofers, recievers, etc that would put you in audio bliss

yes, i was kidding.. research is most important.. first , figure out what kinda system you wanna build.. then, like spiff said, the fun part will be figuring out which brands of components to get.

i got $10 bucks says spiff recommends an HSU sub.. any takers??

bigjohn

#48116 06/04/04 07:19 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.

#48117 06/04/04 07:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Welcome, welcome. Speaking for myself (and as a computer geek trying to catch up on audio gear) the researching and reading and hearing and such was at least 1/2 of the fun of this new hobby (obsession). It was like trying to decide which linux distro I wanted or which video card or mobo, etc. Too many choices, but a load of fun!
Read through the materials, check out other forums and listen to as many different speakers as you can afford before making your final decision to purchase Axioms .

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#48118 06/04/04 07:27 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
OK, I'm reading through A. Lofft's series of articles, just leaving 2002 (hehe). I feel like Data when he would interface with an unknown computer. Meanwhile back here I see the many praises of AXIOM coming up. I understand that the forum is sponsored by them and all, but I gotta know...

Are you guys SALES scum, or real life CONVERTS? Again, not to sound to dumb, but I've never heard of Axiom before.

#48119 06/04/04 07:33 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

SALES scum

bite your tongue.. this forum is on the axiom site, but we are all just satisfied customers.. there is no 'sponsership' per say. it is just a never ending open discussion about HT, and all things related. and if you become a regualr and see what is said, you will see that most on here have and like other brands of speakers.. this forum is just one of the lighter/funner(is that a word) forums in which to discuss and learn about HT and stereo in general.

none of us are paid, and none of us have any economic ties to axiom.. well, other than the fact that we bought, and continue to buy speakers from them!!

bigjohn

#48120 06/04/04 07:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nope...we're all Axiom buyers. On occasion Alan Lofft will post on here, and on RARE occasisons Ian and Amie themselves show up, but for the most part these boards are just happy Axiom owners.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup