Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Powerbook Ebay scam.
#48212 06/07/04 03:08 AM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I am a regular troller on audiogon and canuckaudiomart. I like fiding stuff that are rediculously for low prices...for personal use or just finding for friends and family. There is obvious risks when dealing with "when its too good to be true then its mostlikely is"...but I have (like other) gotten stuff that is cheap.
Well saw this Bryston amp that is normally about $3200. Used its about $800-$1200. He had it posted for ***$350***. Just general wear and tear but in fine condition. Under warrentee from Bryston. All Bryston amps have 25 yrs warrantee. I thought I was covered. No pictures because his digital camera was on the fritz. It was just recently posted since it was not there 20 minutes ago. Sent a quick message. Got a quick response ... in a matter of minutes. Said it was a great deal. He said he received 8 other interested parties and I was on top of the list. He would be shipping it from Florida and only accepted "Postal" Money orders because bank money orders need a bank to cash and could possibly be audited my IRS. I said sure make sense I guess. <-- dummy me.
Checked out his profile and it said 4 positive responses. Okey this was great deal.
20 minutes later I get a message saying he is going to let the item go to someone else unless I can provide proof I was really serious.
I said sure..I could get the postal money order that afternoon and take a picture of it and send it to him.
So I did. He send me a quick email and gave me a mailing address. Funny...his email never asked me my shipping address...so I replied to him with my mailing address and asked for a phone number because UPS needed one. He replied to me...saying just to send it regular mail. I said I wanted UPS and it was fine that I covered the cost because if I sent it UPS it will get to him faster and then he can send my item out quicker. Luckily I did send it UPS and asked for a phone number....
I called the number just to see if it is legit and I just played the dumb buyer..Are Bryston's good amps?...I have not heard of them? Is it better than my Fisher integrated? (Lets not start a flame amp war here)
He was suprised I called...or it seemed like that. Asked me when was my earliest convenience to send it out. I said it was sent out 2 hours ago. Sent it out to the name "Mandel". Just "Mandel"
Checked UPS ground and it arrived in 3 days I think..I forget...arrival scan showed up.
Called his number again..."The cell number you have reached is not available or not assigned." ...something like that..my heart just did a belly flop!!!!!

Went back the audiogon and checked the listing. "Listing not found!!!!!!"

I quickly sent off an email...asking if he received the money order and asking for a UPS tracking number. A day went by...I resent a 2nd email. Sent emails out to the other people who gave him a good rating. I waited another 2 days and did another email saying I have not receive any info on my package.

Tried the number again..and wait..it started ringing...He picks up..seemed startled. I nicely asked him if he sent out his package. He gave me a run around and said he was busy with his daugther because of a child custody situation. He was going to send it out in a day or two...and was sitting in his basement ready to go. He was going to ship it UPS ground and was going to take 7-10 days because he is in a part of Florida that was expidited.

So I waited 10 days...

Got a letter for one of the positive ratings poster. He said he had issues with this guy and that it took him a long time to send his item out but gave him a positive rating because he did get it and it was in perfect order.
And that his name is really Albert Mandelbaum.

Did a search on the net. Found out some name matching. One happens to be in the same zip code but different address for the name Albert Madelbaum.

On the 12th day after the last contact I called his cell again...the "not available message was there again". Sent out emails again. The next day called the number listed on my search. And guess what..he answers.

He was babbling and said that he totally forgot. I told him it is over a month now since the original email and I have been patiently waiting. He said he is sending it this afternoon. I guess he was startled I got his home number (lucky for that guy that replied to me to provide his real name) and mostlikely thought I had his address too. I got a UPS number that evening. YAY!!!

It arrived 5 days later...paid damn duties on the damn thing...eshhh...a Bryston amp that originally came from Canada.
I opened the box...the mounting holes were all jagged from mounting. The amp smelled like beer. What looked like dried up something liquid on top. One foot missing. Tried the amp and one channel was only working. Sent out the serial numbers to Bryston...told me it was out of warrantee.

^%$^#%&%#&#%$&$%&$%&#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Called the cell number and it said "not available" again. The home number was disconnected. I sent out a rash of emails.

3 months passed by and I called the cell and he answered again!!!!! He said he barely remembers me and said all his product are in working order and it must have been UPS that damaged it.

I said I know some goons in florida (which is kinda true..just little trouble maker antiga boys who serf and snowboard with me) and that I had his address and to watch his back and I then hung up.

I tried his number a month later and his cell was definitely disconnect. Never called my friends in florida. So I still have this amp...maybe I will use its one channel one day to power a unpowered SVS or HSU.

#48213 06/07/04 03:55 AM
veteran
veteran
All these stories have a similar theme: the buyer thought he was going to get something for way below the market value. It just doesn't work that way. The old adage, if a deal appears to be too good to be true it probably is, applies in spades to the internet. (OK, Axiom speakers excepted).

#48214 06/07/04 05:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is now of the same proportions as the Nigeria scam, which I still get BTW.

I've also gotten involved in these international scams. Tried to sell a road bike on cragslist in the SF Bay Area. Some doctor in Europe wanted to buy it and send it over. Yeah right, you want to buy a used $300 bike and ship it to Italy? Those scams are everywhere.

Buyer beware. I've never gotten burned on ebay/craiglist yet (knock on wood). I've bought a $700 Tivo, $1100 bike (work $2k), etc on ebay, but I know the risks....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters