Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: I had a little "whine" with LOTR: ROTK
#48329 06/28/04 09:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Oh no! I'm waiting for the 3 movie 'get a colostomy bag it is so long' version. I have the special edition of the first one (and it's great of course), but want to wait to see what an all inclusive set has. Longer is better! I can always skip the parts I don't want to watch.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#48330 07/07/04 03:50 PM
veteran
veteran
I think that this current version is only 5.1. I've resisted buying this version and waiting for the extended version. the extended version for the other 2 releases(as you all probably already know) is 6.1 ES. I've done some experimenting with my 7.1 setup and find that turning down (a little) the surrounds and turning up (a lot) the rear surrounds gives some interesting results... like, "where the H@ll did that come from" I found myself looking over my shoulder quite a bit.

My big disappoint with "The Return of the King" is that they left our the "scouring of the Shire" chapter" I realize it would of been rediculous to try and inlcude due to time -- but, it's probably one of the best chapters of the book. Anyway, I realize for "non-readers" of the trilogy, the wrap up probably goes long. But, for anyone whose read the books, the characters are so much closer than the movie can reveal, and that the "good-byes" almost seem short in the movie.

"it's just an oppinion, I don't want to be beaten up for it"

#48331 07/07/04 05:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
first: *ridiculous*

But seriously, I think to have added the book ending would have made the movie unbearable to the non-readers. Not to mention, Saruman doesn't even appear in the 3rd movie at all. (Sure he will be in the extended version, but so might be some more of the original ending, and hopefully something about Aragorn showing himself to be the king by healing everyone with the kingsfoil, and Frodo and Sam pretending to be orcs would be nice too.) So yes, I wish it were there as well, but I am ok with the way it was wrapped up.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#48332 07/07/04 05:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We're definitely going to see Aragorn with the kingsfoil in the houses of healing.

We're also going to see Aragorn's final confrontation with Saruman, and his ultimate demise (which was notably missing in ROTK in the theaters).

Can't hardly wait for the EE

I truly enjoy the longer versions of these movies. Not because I can't get enough - but because I think the pacing and flow is better and so is the character development.

#48333 07/07/04 05:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
wait wait wait here.....
A spoiler to follow from the books, although somehow I don't think anyone here cares...

Saruman gets killed in the Shire by Grima in the books...to have that in there would essentially require having the entire scouring of the shire added back, which I'm not sure there's time to do properly even in the extended version...I would love to see it though if they can do it. You really think they'll add that whole part back? I am skeptical.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#48334 07/07/04 05:59 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm not sure that they could add the scouring of the shire part back because I don't think that they filmed it in the first place.

Maybe you mean the addition of Aragorn confronting Sauron's emmissary at the Black Gates. That has been added.

#48335 07/07/04 06:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's for certain that they will add in the mouth of Sauron shot.

I had heard that they shot the final confrontation between Saruman and Gandalf. Now, I could be mistaken. They might not deal with it in the shire - rather, they might add the scene back in right after Gandalf picks up Merry and Pippen at Isengard. Gandalf confronts Saruman there in the book. Jackson might add some of this dialogue back in and take care of Saruman this way.

We'll just have to wait and see, though, I guess.

#48336 07/07/04 07:10 PM
old hand
old hand
Yes, I can hardly wait. And I don't even have a decent Home Theatre!

The Aragorn/mouth of Sauron scene will be great as well as the houses of healing scene.

I agree with you on the Gandalf/Saruman scene at Isegard. I think I read something from Jackson about that scene. Anyways, that is one of my favorite scenes (along with hundreds more ) in the book. I hope we get to see Saruman of many colors!

#48337 07/07/04 07:35 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I truly enjoy the longer versions of these movies. Not because I can't get enough - but because I think the pacing and flow is better and so is the character development

pacing and flow?? are you kidding me??

dont get me wrong, these are very well made movies.. visually, costumes, special effects, sound effects, story lines, the whole deal. but to say that the "pacing and flow" is better in the EE is ridiculious.. these movies are TOOO long.. i didnt go see a single one in the theater simply for that reason. i, along with millions of others, cant sit in a theater for 3-4 hours, just cant do it. i completely understand that detail of the books, and the sheer amount of story there is to be told. but, my main complaint about the whole series is the fact that they are ridiculiously long.. really on my threshold of how long i can sit in one place, and stay focused on a subject.

this is not a 'cut' or 'dig' toward the movies.. they are great.. just long.. and i just had to laugh at that quote..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#48338 07/07/04 07:37 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I had no problem sitting in the theatre for these movies. I was surprised when they were finished.

This is diametrically opposite to when I saw The Postman. About halfway through, I looked at my watch, realized it was going to be a 3 hour movie, and groaned.

I don't think the length of the movie has much to do with it. I think the quality of the movie does. Anyone who complains about the length is copping out.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup