Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Howdy Folks - Would like your input,
#48455 06/08/04 07:43 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Just moved from Raleigh (Apex) NC, to Atlanta, GA.. Ring a bell?

#48456 06/08/04 08:04 PM
buff
buff
Different Jeff Bridges ...BTW I am using 60's,qs8's,vp150 and svs pb2plus (sub). I also have irregular shaped room with offset front speakers. With the adjustment capabilities of the Denon 3805 I compensated for things and it sounds great. You just have to play with it to get it to your liking.. Look into the SVS line for subs... American owned, made, and manufactured.. I love mine. Id offer you a demo but you can only feel the bass within two states and I live in Arizona.

#48457 06/10/04 02:58 AM
devotee
devotee
Jeff,

One last suggestion. 2 nights, 2 bottles of wine, 2 of HER favorite movies. (Nudge her towards picking out 2 movies with something suitable for testing surround sound. Outdoors stuff like beaches, woods, maybe a festival or something.)

Setup the speakers where she likes them, calibrate them, and watch a movie. The next night, put them where these guys tell you to, calibrate them (of course, making sure to get it absolutely perfect this time), and watch the other movie.

She no doubt will hear the difference, and FORCE you to put them in the right place. I ruined my woman. She went to see Troy with one of her girlfriends, and then made me promise to let her invite her over to watch it on DVD when it comes out. She said the theater sound "just didn't cut it.". Your wife might not know it yet, but yes, even women appreciate great sound. She'll bend on the visual properties.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#48458 06/10/04 03:44 AM
M
local
local
M
Hey Jeff, I'm in complete agreement with dakkon. Seriously consider a projector. This would make your speaker placement close to perfect ( with a screen infront of the fireplace ). Both projector and screen can be easily made to disappear into a rooms surroundings more so than any alternative, and you can't get a bigger picture...

Look at the Infocus X1 or BenQ 6100, and particularily the Optoma H30, great low budject projects.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/recommended-home-theater-projectors.htm

Good Luck, Michael

#48459 06/10/04 01:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
michael-

that was a good story about your 'woman'.(i dont know if that means girlfriend or wife).. anyway, i had the exact same experience with my wife. after watching a few good movies on the HT, we went to the theater and she was very disappointed. after we left, she said "unless you just want to see a movie on the big screen, i see no reason why we should ever come back here, our system sounds much better".. it was the first time she had referreed to the HT as 'our' and not 'yours'.. it just made my little heart go pitter-pat..

i am hoping to be able to use this angle for a new 42 inch HD flat screen next spring.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#48460 06/10/04 01:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It's in the bag, John.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#48461 06/10/04 02:10 PM
aficionado
aficionado
My girlfriend love the system and wants me to buy what she refers to as a "big-a$$ tv." She's a music and movie buff, and therefore welcomes any purchases I make in that direction. Then again, she's not a live-in and knows that I'm going to buy whatever I want regardless of her opinion, so she never really hassles me about any purchase I make.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#48462 06/10/04 04:30 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

i dont know if that means girlfriend or wife

In this case, that means girfriend. We're both already married to our careers so spending quality time together is hard to do. Hers may be taking her far away soon. We'll have to figure out how to handle it from there. She's a great gal, though. One of the few career gals that I've met that likes the "traditional" roles - women/caretakers - men/providers. Of course, she's faking the non-provider part. Her salary is just slightly shy of mine. I have 45 folks working for me, she's only got 43. I get to tease her about me being the "big fish" in the house. I'm glad I'm not her competiton at work . She's ruthless in the business world.

She's definitely been bitten by the HT bug, though. She's threatened to get a bigger TV and M80s for her house if I didn't let her do the Troy thing here. I know when I've been beaten. Even the Duke had to walk away from a gunfight or two.

Too bad most of them don't take to things like 4 wheeling, shooting, golf, fishing, working on cars, and tailgating like they do to HT.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#48463 06/10/04 04:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
well, my wife loves to go shooting/hunting, and we tail-gate all the time, but she aint to fond of none of that other stuff.

as a matter of fact.. when her friend graduated with her masters degree last summer, shannon took her out to the gun range with about 400 rounds of .38 and .45 caliber shells to "blow off some steam"!! now thats what i call celebrating!!

she loves to go camping also, but we have toned that down as of late due to her pregnancy.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#48464 06/10/04 05:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My wife and I used to go shooting out in the desert on a regular basis when we were dating. Drink a twelver and shoot up the cans from the tailgate. Nice, fun, cheap date.

Maybe I am a hillbilly!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020