Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
IEC Power Cord Upgrades
#4880 08/15/02 07:19 PM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've read previous posts in these forums comparing the audio merits (or lack there of) regarding upgrading speaker wire and/or interconnects. Would appreciate any comments regarding the audio benefits (if any), of upgrading manufacturer IEC power cords (i.e., for CD player, amp, etc.), to a heavier gauge wire with better connectors?

Re: IEC Power Cord Upgrades
#4881 08/15/02 08:21 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Joe, if the component begins to work when you plug it into the wall, then the manufacturer has been successful in supplying a length of copper wire to bridge the gap between the outlet and his equipment.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#4882 08/16/02 07:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good call JohnK!

Well, if you ask me, the power supply should filter any noise and keep the machine running. Where I work, we use medical grade power cords and isolation transformers, but that's because any minor electrical problem and someone will die (we sell EEG equipment). I don't think this problem exists with a cd player or amp.

Interconnects however make a big difference. I was using the component cables that came with my player, then I bought some decent ones from Radio Shack for 35$, and there was a huge difference. VERY noticeable.

#4883 08/16/02 08:58 AM
buff
buff
I was very skeptical of the concept but now am a firm believer. I have heard the difference enough times now.
On some gear, the power cord upgrade can make a large difference.
Check at:
http://www.AudioAsylum.com/
for more comments from people that swear by it along with resources on DIY power cords. Use the search function to find tons of info on them.

#4884 08/20/02 04:54 AM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
And so the debate continues...interesting! Maybe power cords should be added to the "list" for "blind-testing", in an attemp to determine if there are true (less than random) discernible audio differences and/or if "beauty really does lie in the eye (or in this case, ear), of the beholder"?

Appreciate all responses/comments. Thanks.

#4885 08/23/02 12:57 PM
veteran
veteran
Sure! Lets debate.

Speaker wire, power cords, interconnects, amplifier power.

Could it be that the old axiom (oops!) of "bigger is always better" be true???

Hmmm......

Randyman

#4886 08/23/02 03:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

There's nothing wrong with upgrading to a mechanically more robust power cord, but if you think you're going to hear any audible differences, you'll be disappointed.

The whole point of a "power supply" section in an amplifier or receiver is to filter and transform (hence the name "transformer") the 117-volt, 60-Hz AC power from your wall outlet to the necessary voltages that power different stages in your amplifier, including the output stages that actually provide gain--enough voltage and current--to drive those inefficient speakers.

To add a secondary device--a so-called power conditioner--or high-priced IEC power cord on the AC line before the amplifier is absurd and redundant, unless you're getting RF (radio-frequency) interference through your AC line. Then there's a purpose to filters.

But selling "power conditioners" to naive consumers claiming that they will deliver audible improvements, treads perilously close to consumer fraud, in my opinion.

Of course, if you pay hundreds of dollars for a conditioner or IEC cord, and expect or anticipate hearing a difference, especially if you don't use instantaneous comparisons done blind, of course you'll think it sounds better--you want it to, and you've paid your hard-earned dollars, so of course you'll hang on to the fantasy that it's actually doing something. But if you challenge any of these manufacturers of such devices to do scientific, controlled double-blind comparisons of their conditioner or exotic cables with an A/B/X comparator, they'll always politely decline. . .

Save your money for good speakers, nicely designed electronics, and lots of great CDs and DVDs!

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4887 08/23/02 04:56 PM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for your comments Alan. You have presented your position and opinion in a very logical and objective manner, which is much appreciated.

Cheers.

#4888 09/07/02 10:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would agree with the thread point about the audible improvements being questionable.

BUT, I disagree that they are not important. The output of a moderately designed power supply is not perfect.To think that is idealist, and hopeful at best. These are adequate for the task at hand, I will grant, but not great.

There are several methods of providing this type of equipment, one of which is protection. Also to ensure that all components of your system are good quality.

As Alan states, this is one of those areas that manufacturers quickly vanish when challeneged to produce tangible results...just like the cable mfg'ers!!!!

Unless you are having power problems - which you should address with an electrician - put your money to other areas of your system

#4889 09/09/02 04:20 AM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks BBIH...appreciate your comments.

My initial question regarding upgrading IEC power cords to a heavier gauge wire with better connectors came after reading a post at www.audioreview.com, from an individual who has the same CD player as me (Cambridge Audio D-500SE). This person stated that he achieved a "significant improvement" in sound/audio dynamics after changing the manufacturer supplied cord (18 guage?), to a DIY 14 gauge cord with hospital grade connectors, and went on to say this should be a "mandatory upgrade" for this player. There were several other posts on this audioreview.com board, with similar claims.

As Alam suggested, is beauty really in the ear of the beholder, or is there some substance behind the claims made?
Food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020