Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
bbq pork chops
#48975 06/11/04 01:46 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Gonna bbq tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone had a good grill recipe for pork chops. After the discussion of smoked food and such I got some apple wood chips and made some smoked steak tips that came out pretty darned tasty. I can wing it easily enough, I was just curious if anyone had a "gem" of a recipe for me to try.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
Re: bbq pork chops
#48976 06/11/04 03:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, but unfortunately it's at home. It's for "Garlicky Soy Chops" (or something like that) from Stephen Raichlen's BBQ Bible.

Or you can just wing it. Brown-sugar based rubs (mixed with paprika, salt, pepper, celery salt, garlic powder, etc...) work great on slow cooked BBQ pork. The brown sugar melts and then carmelizes - awesome on pork. Good luck.

#48977 06/11/04 05:03 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
couldnt agree more.. brown sugar rubs are the BEST on pork..

just throw about 1/2 cup brown sugar in a bowl.. mix with 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoons of your favorite spices(same as bigwill mentioned) plus cheyenne, chili powder, ground dill seed, and a little dried parsley.. mix all that together good, make sure to break up the clots in the brown sugar.. then just rub it on the chops, press it into the meat, let set for an hour or so in the fridge, and slap on the grill, or roast/bake in the oven. i wouldnt suggest deep frying or pan frying.. the sugar reacts bad in too much grease.

wish i was eatin at your house!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#48978 06/11/04 05:54 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Excellent, that does sound good. The plan has escalated from just a bbq and has become: bbq followed by poker, stogies (if desired) & drinks (desired or not!) So it looks like I not only stand to gain a few pounds tomorrow night, but also lose a few dollars.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#48979 06/11/04 05:59 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
You can also try the "Montreal Steak Seasoning". Good stuff. Also, I'll pass along a general hint I just came across (haven't tried it yet). If you ues a spray bottle to douse those little grease fires while grilling, the suggestion was to use apple juice instead of water. Apparently adds some flavor to whatever you are burning that day.

#48980 06/11/04 06:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mmmmmm....I am using my new BBQ tonight too!

#48981 06/11/04 07:51 PM
old hand
old hand
Good god! that Steve Raichlen had a good series on tv. I drooled every time I saw that show. The ribs.... aaaaaahhh.... my favorite. Good stuff.

#48982 06/11/04 07:58 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i like watching bobby flay on the food network. dont know if many of you watch this channel, but it is really awesome.

they have shows on how food is made, where certain food is from, and all aspects of cooking and preparing different kinds of food.. have i said 'food' enough yet?? anyway, this bobby flay guy uses a lot of texas/southwest type seasonings in his recipes.. and he does the majority of his ccoking an a grill. he also uses a lot of fish in his recipes, which i just dig the most. its hard to get good, fresh fish in west texas, so i dont eat it as much as i would like to, but still at least once or twice a week.

if you have never seen him, look for bobby flay on the food network. pretty cool guy.

bigjohn

#48983 06/11/04 08:21 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Agreed, he is the man.

#48984 06/11/04 09:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
His shwo is called "Boy meets Grill." Definitely good times. Also, Alton Brown has a show called "Good Eats" - either you love it or hate, I think. He goes about showing procedures as to how to cook by addressing scientific principles (for the anal retentive chef in all of us). Anyway - he does a lot of BBQ/smoking on his show.

I too would suggest some sort of slow cook dry rub. The brown sugar is great because is caramelizes so nice and provides a great balance to any acidic sauce that you may want to dress teh meat in afterwards...However, I would also suggest that you experiment - come up with something that is your own. Have fun. Be willing to experiment. That's half the fun of it anyway, isn't it?

Cheers...

#48985 06/12/04 07:04 AM
shareholder in the making
Perfect timing for this question! I'm planning on doing pork chops on the grill Tuesday night, and a brown-sugar based rub (which I've never done) sounds excellent. Hey Ken, wanna come over?

Incidentally, a sugar-based rub is also excellent on salmon. I use about 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. I either fry or bake the fish with this recipe, but it might work well on the grill, too.

#48986 06/12/04 08:48 PM
YES! Sure, no problem. Can we bring anything?

I could make ice cream.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#48987 06/13/04 01:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not big on most store bought marinades, but STUBB"S pork marinade goes on any pork I grill, smoke, or bake. I soak my baby backs over night in the stuff before smoking them, and you would think I invented baby back ribs according to my buddys. I dont know if stubbs is available every where, but here in Texas, Stubbs BBQ is famous. If you can, give it a try.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#48988 06/14/04 02:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
At risk of sounding naive . . . Texans, do you really have to grill ribs for hours and hours? Assuming you wanted to have them on a week night, after you have rubbed the rub in, how long do you have to smoke them? Can you do it over propane, or is that the second offensive question in this post?

#48989 06/14/04 02:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not a Texan, but the time I've made them and found them best I've done this.

1. Marinade 24 hours with favorite BBQ sauce (the best is when I make my own sauce first).

2. Cook in the oven for 2-2.5 hours.

3. Grill for a couple minutes on each side.

4. EAT!!

#48990 06/14/04 03:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's pretty hard to make a pork chop bad, man I love chops!

/yummy

In reply to:

if you have never seen him, look for bobby flay on the food network. pretty cool guy

oh I've seen him before... he was on Iron Chef, and he was the biggest dick ever! Way to represent us Bobby, thx for nuttin!

#48991 06/14/04 03:28 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

At risk of sounding naive . . . Texans, do you really have to grill ribs for hours and hours? Assuming you wanted to have them on a week night, after you have rubbed the rub in, how long do you have to smoke them? Can you do it over propane, or is that the second offensive question in this post?

Amie,

It can be done on a weeknight and on propane. Let the rub set on the meat for at least an hour. Prepping early would allow for overnight with the rub. Smoking on propane takes a smoke box. Cast iron box filled with soaked wood chips / chunks you set in your lava rock or on flavorizer bars. You should be able to find one at any store that sells BBQ equipment or discount store. I found mine at W**mart a number of years ago. How long to smoke is relative to what sort of smoke flavor you want. The more smoke flavor, the longer it will need to smoke. I would smoke them for a couple of hours then wrap them in foil and let them steam in their own juices. Makes them tender. I had made smoked briskets on my propane grill until it finally fell apart. Needless to say, I now have a new charcoal / wood burning grill...

Find the smoke box and you will find wood chips / chunks to go in it. Soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before putting it the box...longer soak, more water, more smoke, less flame. Ribs would drip less than a brisket but keeping a water bottle filled with water (or apple juice...adds some flavor to putting out fires ) will come in handy. When I was smoking briskets on my propane grill, my son would always ask if I had caught the brisket on fire yet...If I had, he knew it would be good.

Hope this helps.

Smokin'

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#48992 06/14/04 03:43 PM
Whoops, guess I didn't read closely enough... now I've got to get a smoke box... and some lava rocks or something. D'oh!

#48993 06/14/04 04:21 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
amie-

that is a hard question.. depending on who you ask, EVERYONE has their own way of doing BBQ. i agree a little with every one that has posted.

i would let the rub sit on the ribs for at least an hour. or overnight, or even put on the rub in the morning before you go to work, leave in fridge, and cook when you get home. you can use a propane grill, but like furrer says, for the 'smoke' taste, you would need to use some sort of smoking device, like wood chips. also, you want to cook the ribs slow, around 250F degrees. this allows for the meat to get real soft, and not rubbery or chewy. the time will vary depending on how thick the ribs are, but i good start is 1 1/2 to 2 hours. check periodically there after. if you use a higher heat, that time will drop drastically.

the foil method is good to.. use a high heat and cook quick for about 45 minutes to an hour.. then wrap good in heavy duty aluminum foil, and let set for and hour.

just keep in mind, there are no 2 same ways to cook bbq. everyone has their own style and preference. use several diff methods, find the one you like, and stick with it.

bigjohn

#48994 06/14/04 05:19 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Well to follow up....I made a rub with brown sugar, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, and sage. (Although in somewhat different proportions than were recommended) The chops were a huge hit. I let the rub sit overnight, and smoked them (applewood) over pretty low heat (could hold my hand over it 6 seconds or so) for maybe 25 minutes.

#48995 06/14/04 05:24 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ringmir-

good deal.. thanks for sharing. you know when you see the pretty young girls licking their thumbs, its gotta be good. 25 min seems a little short, but hey, there is NO specific science to get this done. as long as its good and everyone ate them up, you did good..

another option to the sweet/hot style of cooking.. instead of brown sugar, you can use straight honey mixed with mustard.. it sounds weird, but it tastes pretty good.. just another variation to think about.

bigjohn

#48996 06/14/04 10:53 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Wait a minute - you guys cook your food???? Damn, I should tell my wife.

#48997 06/20/04 05:02 AM
STUBB'S -- "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm a chef" -- is also available in California. It's great stuff.

#48998 06/21/04 09:04 AM
bigjohn and BigWill,

One big thank you! for the brown sugar rub idea. I made it today and it came out fantastic! I made mine a little unique, though. For the rub, I used about a heaping 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and then added salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, dill, dry mustard, sage, and marjoram in various quantities. I generously rubbed it into 8 thick pork chops and then put them in the fridge for about 4 hours.

I bought some mesquite chips and prepared a 1/2 wet, 1/2 dry foil smoking pouch and set it on my grill's flavorizer bars. After I could smell the hickory smoke, I turned the burners to low and put the chops on. There was about 1/4 cup of liquid in the dish the chops came from, so I decided to use it in a sauce. I poured about 1/4 cup of raspberry balsamic vinegar into a saucepan, added the pork liquid and some extra pepper, brought it to a boil to kill the germs, and then reduced it over low heat. It ended up being the perfect balance of sweet and tangy for the chops.

I'm still drooling. I should go to bed before I grab the last one out of the fridge as a (past)midnight snack.

#48999 06/21/04 03:39 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
cool peter.. glad it turned out good for you.. yea, there is no specific outline when it comes to spices, and how much to use. ya just gotta kinda play with it, and find the mix that you prefer. i like it more spicy, but to each their own. i am an addict when it comes to pork.. my wife doesnt care for pork very much, so i dont get it as often as i would like.

i feel the need to mention that the mixture i mentioned 3 posts above(honey & mustard) was more intended for a glaze, not a merinade.. i didnt specify.

bigjohn

#49000 06/21/04 08:00 PM
And it was frickin' incredible. Fantastic job, Peter!

Gotta get my ass off of the couch and out to the grill...

#49001 06/21/04 08:44 PM
I just had the leftovers for lunch. Mmmmm. I think the sauce was my favorite part. Finger-licking good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup