Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: OT: My new toy
#49095 06/16/04 02:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I know exactly what you mean, John. When I was young, we would do the "spring break" thing in Ft. Lauderdale. We found we could rent little motorcycles (90cc. Oh stop laughing! They were fun!) on the cheap for the week we were there. I've never been in a position to own a motorcycle, but if I ever hit the lottery..........

I've owned two MGB convertibles in my life, and I've loved cruising the countryside in them. But even that didn't compare to the open feeling of a motorcycle.

I know they can be dangerous, and I know they have drawbacks (sudden rainstorms, bugs in your teeth, etc.), but they sure make you feel alive. Another problem is that a helmet is now the smart thing to do. I loved riding without one 40 years ago. I fear that wearing a helmet would spoil the openness by putting you back "inside" again, and it would be like looking through a window in a car.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#49096 06/16/04 03:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
texas is one of the few states that has a 'no helmet' law.. so if you want the wind in your hair, then come take a ride down here.. i think south carolina is 'no helmet' also. at least they used to be.

and just to mention, i find it somewhat ironic that we have a 'no helmet' law, but it is required that ALL passengers in a vehicle must wear their seatbelt. i always thought that was an extreme amount of double standards being displayed by my state. but hey, george w used to be our governor, so what do ya expect..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#49097 06/16/04 03:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think we have a no helmet law here in Ohio, too. At least I see plenty of folks riding without one. It just seems to me that wearing one is a smart thing to do. Forty years ago we didn't know any better. . Ignorance is, INDEED, bliss

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#49098 06/16/04 04:03 PM
veteran
veteran
There are some really weird helmet laws in the States, in fact Texas is one of them with conditions to it. Illinois and Iowa have no helmet laws at all, see this link for details on the different States http://www.gwrra.org/helmetlaws.html I had looked into this when we were touring through the states to see where we were required to wear a helmet and where we could get away without.

Cheers
JH

#49099 06/16/04 05:19 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Does whether or not you wear a helmet affect your vehicle and/or life insurance rates? I can understand why some would like to go without helmets, but all it takes is one blind driver... [shudder]

#49100 06/16/04 05:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i dont know about other states, but in texas, it does make your insurance go up. in fact, there is a clause in the texas law, that for it to be totally legal for you to ride without a helmet, you must have full coverage insurance for damage to the bike and vehicle, as well as for persoanl injury.. i aint real sure why that is, but i think its so the state doesnt have to pay your hospital bill when you slam your unprotected skull against the pavement..

i could be wrong on that last part, but i know it does make your insurance higher.

bigjohn

#49101 06/16/04 05:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK...I no longer have it, but I did own a sweet bike myself at one time. Here's a pic of what I had...1987 Suzuki Intruder. I even had black leather sadlebags.

#49102 06/16/04 05:40 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i had a suzuki right out of high school for a while.. i cant remember the model, but it was 650 cc.. it was ok on power, but i had constant ignition probs with it.. between the key, starter switch, solenoid, and starter it was alwys breaking down. i almost got sooo frustrated with it, i was gonna pull all the wire that was attached to the ignition system , and just replace it all.

thank gosh we lived on a hill, so i could just 'pop-clutch' start it when i needed.. but everywhere i would go, i would always look to park on a decline in case it didnt want to start. i sold it before i ended up fixing it.

bigjohn

#49103 06/16/04 05:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If I were to get another bike someday it'll likely be a Honda Magna. I like the new models, and I like the old 1987-1988 super magnas. But living in LA, I'll likely never get another one until I perhaps move into the country again. WAY to dangerous here in the city.

#49104 06/16/04 06:41 PM
veteran
veteran
Living in the city was certainly one of the considerations in not getting another bike at this time. Our plan is that once the kids have grown up and are off to university, college or simply have moved out of the house we sell the house and move back to the country, and then without question I would buy another bike. Living in the city and fighting traffic and the morons that you have to deal with when you are on the bike takes away from the enjoyment of it. Just as Bigjohn says he is a patient man I too will just wait again for the right time and then well not sure what I would buy but it sure will be fun shopping. Until then I have no regrets with the new toy it is fun to drive, the kids love it the wife likes it so everyone is happy.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters