Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
QS8 Placement - Slightly Weird
#49403 06/16/04 12:00 PM
Daphoid Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Ok so basicaly I need help deciding where to hang my QS8's, I'll be using Full Metal Brackets, so hanging is not the problem.

This picture is a shot of my "space" at a angle, the blue trunk and end table are moving, but the bed has to stay there, I may be moving it to the other side of the couch (so the couch is more centered... As you can see it's off center to the "Tv hole".

Here's a shot of the back wall, as you can see my couch is right against the back wall and can't move up at all. I can move the posters if needed, but I'm curious where the best place to hang them is?

Thoughts or more questions?

- D

Last edited by Daphoid; 06/16/04 12:01 PM.

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
Re: QS8 Placement - Slightly Weird
#49404 06/16/04 01:17 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
when sitting in what will be the 'prime' position looking at the TV, is there a wall or a down-hang to the left that you can mount a speaker to?? if there isnt, then your best option would probably be to put them on the back wall extended out proportionally from the listening position. that seems like the only other option..

now, if you do have a wall or hang-down on the left(of listening position), then i would mount them around 2ft from the back wall, and around 6-7ft high. i think not putting them on the back wall would be the best way if you can swing it.. you might want to look into the FMB(full metal brackets) so you could mount to the ceiling on the left if you have to.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#49405 06/16/04 01:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with John. If you have a wall to the left of your seating area, then the better placement would be on the side walls, slightly in front of the listening area.

From the Axiom FAQ:

"Ideally, surround speakers should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations. (see our dedicated stands for the QS Surround speakers in the Store)."

If you don't have a wall on the left, then ceiling mounting them in roughly the same positions would be next. If that's not possible, I'd think placing them on the back wall to either side of the listening area would work OK.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#49406 06/16/04 02:31 PM
Daphoid Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
There's no wall to the left unfortunatley, and the ceiling is a hganging ceiling, and I don't think my dad would like that, looks like the back wall it is. Dolby says 3 feet about listening position (so 6-7ft up from the floor), how far on either side of the couch would you say?

- D

#49407 06/16/04 02:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
If there is no wall to the left and you have those exposed beams, why not just install one on a beam to the right near the corner and one on the left on a beam an approximate equal distance from the seating area as the right? No holes in the walls...

My .02,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#49408 06/16/04 02:56 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i agree with furrer.. take a look at the full metal bracket.

this bracket has 2 swivel points, so you can mount it to the ceiling, the wall, or the floor(if you wanted to).. then, with its swivel ability, you can tilt it up or down, left or right, or side to side. on the pics you provided, it appears you have an exposed beam ceiling, so that is perfect. you can screw the brackets directly into the cross members and the speakers will be up, and to the sides, which is the best placement. now granted, they will be what could be considered a little high, but, you can angle them down toward the listening position, and they should sound great.. and as i have mentioned bafore, the QS8's 4 way firing speakers, create a very enveloping sound that will make up for 'non-perfect' placement.

now, if you(or dad) is just totally against the side mount idea, then put the speakers on the back wall at 6-7ft high, and just an equal distance apart.. as a reference, i would put the right surround about 6 inches to a foot from the right wall, then measure its distance to directly above the listening position.. then just put the left surround that exact same distance from directly above listening position.

good luck, but i still think you could use the FMB and be happier. plus, you could easily tuck the wires up into the crossbeams,and hide them..

bigjohn

#49409 06/16/04 05:21 PM
Daphoid Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
1. I was going to mount with the FMB all along
2. That ceiling is not staying the way you see it. A false ceiling is being hung, thus I can't mount to ceiling without much trouble from Dad :\

- D

#49410 06/16/04 05:30 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
well, if you end up mounting them to the back wall, the FMB will not be necessary.. the speaker comes with a T-bracket that will work perfectly fine for a flat wall mount.

now, if you just want the FMB for more versatility, and to bring the speaker off the wall, then more power to you.. that would work also. but not necessary.

bigjohn

#49411 06/16/04 06:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Daphoid, my QS8s are currently flat against the back wall, but they were much better when they were on stands at the sides of the couch. Since you have a more or less ideal place to put your right surround (about where that green painting is?), you only need to worry about the left surround. I think you'll be happier with the sound if you figure out some way to mount that left QS to your left rather than behind you.

How about using a board about 12" high and 16-20" long to mount your QS on, then use a HEAVY duty door hinge (or two) to mount the board to the back wall, allowing the board to be swung out into position for movies and then folded back against the wall for neat storage.

Judging by the size of your bed, it doesn't look like WAF is an issue, eh?

#49412 06/16/04 07:15 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
OK guys.. i havent asked a stupid question in a long time, so i reckon its time i did..

what is WAF an acronym for?? i know it means something about your wife, and her displeasure with the speakers and all, but i dont know the EXACT meaning of each letter(WAF)??

so , please enlighten me!! and no ray, i aint selling mine!!

bigjohn

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082