Print Thread
Rate Thread
M80 v Dali Grand
#4953 08/19/02 12:24 AM
J
JCarney Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Over the last year or so I have conducted a rather extensive search for a new set of front mains. I curretnly have a pair of Martin Logan Scenario's in that task. I like them a great deal, but find the small "sweet spot" to be annoying, and they can't handle the power of my Sunfire Cinema Grand II at higher levels. My search for new front mains has covered ML Ascent's, very nice, limited sweet spot again. Paradigm, didn't move me. Von Schweikert VR-4 GenIII, a nice speaker, but didn't draw me into the music. I won't even talk about Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy ver. 5.3, or Dunleavy. Vienna Acoustics Mahler's, now there is a very nice speaker, but they are almost 10 grand, ouch. Sanus Faber, a little to aggressive for my taste. Verity, to pricey. Audio Physics Virgo's, incredible sound stage and detail, but the power handling is an issue. Audio Physics Avanti's, a better version of the Virgos, 10 grand, yikes. By now you have gotten the point, I have been doing my homework. The one speaker that has blown me away, and meets my requirements is the Dali Grand. My question is this...has anyone heard the Dali Grand's, and can and will they compare them to the M80's?? Obviously $1100 is a small price to pay for a top of the line speaker, and if they can blow me away like the Dali's, I would much rather spend $1100 v $4800, not a tough choice.

Thanx ever so much,
The Newbie, JCarney

Re: M80 v Dali Grand
#4954 08/19/02 08:57 AM
veteran
veteran
Hi JCarney,

I have a pair of M60s and based on previous posts from Ian the M60s are very similar in soundstaging to the M80s. No, I have not auditioned the Dali Grand's but what do you have to lose by ordering a pair of M80s, auditioning them in YOUR enviorment for 30 days and if you don't like them,........ well, just send them back. Maybe you could do the same with the Dali Grand's. At any rate, the only thing you have to lose would be the shipping cost if you decide to send them back.

CAV104

#4955 08/19/02 12:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with CAV that you really just have to take the M80s home for 30 days and decide for yourself. Considering many of your other speaker choices (except Paradigm) are rather 'upscale', i hope you find that little unknown gem you are looking for.
The quality of Axiom speakers is excellent for their price, but don't expect to be 'blown away'. I find that if one expects only to hear a DIFFERENT type of sound when auditioning speakers rather than thinking "hey, this is their top of the line model so it should be amazing", then comparison between other speaker brands will allow for a more objective decision on which brand is preferred for its desired characteristics. Simply put, don't bias your thoughts subconciously forming preconceptions of a brand based on price or model 'level'.
Your present speakers are of that electrostatic design which is really a different concept. Personally i'm not a fan.
Have you also taken a look at Monitor Audio speakers?

Last edited by chesseroo; 08/19/02 12:03 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4956 08/19/02 08:59 PM
J
JCarney Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The in home audition is my next step, never hurts ta ask a few questions along the way. Thanx for the reply.

JCarney

#4957 08/19/02 09:10 PM
J
JCarney Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the advice, and I agree. When listening to a pair of speakers for the first time, I just kick back, and and open my ears. It usually doesnt take long to decide if I like them. Something inside me must go "oohhhhhhh", I like that....if that doesnt happen, I move on. I have heard the Monitor Gold Reference 60's, and I liked them, tried ta get an in home audition from the custom installer that carries them in this area, but was not happy with the way they wanted to handle the transaction. They wanted me to pay in full up front, and for insurance reasons, wanted me to pay to have them deliverd, and picked up if I didnt like them, to the tune of $75 a pop. With a price tag of 4 grand, plus tax, and them delivering the Monitor's, I was lookin at 5 grand just listen for a week. Ummmmmmmmmmm....no. No other audio store carries the Monitor Gold series in this area, at least not yet.

Again, Thnx for the reply.
JCarney

#4958 08/19/02 10:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Geez that's too bad about the Monitor dealer. Definitely goes to show how far a company like Axiom backs their products really well though.
They only charge you for the return speaker trip but will rebate your mastercard in an expeditious manner once they are return received.
I ended up ordering the M22s and the M60s and sent the M22s back, no problems. Would've been nice to hear the Monitors in my own home though. I liked them at the store but the price and the conditions also did not allow me enough freedom to buy.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters