Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axioms "bright and forward sounding"?
#5071 08/22/02 06:01 PM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Various reviewers, as well as previous posts on these boards have used the terms "bright and forward sounding" to describe Axiom tower speakers (M-60's and M-80's in particular). I believe I have a mind-set for what "bright" refers to, however, I would appreciate if someone could explain or define what is meant by "forward sounding"?

Thanks.

Re: Axioms "bright and forward sounding"?
#5072 08/23/02 01:41 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Well, here's my definition...

When I first set up my Axiom speakers, I thought they were a little on the bright side compared to my previous speakers which were Infinity RS-4's. However, after a LOT of listening and comparing them to the Infinity's, a way better desciption would be very clean, clear, and detailed in the highs. I would be willing to bet that others here who have listened to recordings which could potentially produce such brightness, would agree that the volume levels can be turned up on them considerably without getting harsh or tiring. In other words, these speakers are not "shrilly" or "tinny" which are terms that I personally use to describe brightness in other speakers.

As far as being forward, the Axiom's are very efficient which apparently means that not a lot of power is needed to make them loud. Perhaps, this is why they are considered forward. Personally, I wouldn't say they are "in your face" forward at all, but they don't restrain nor hold back sounds. They are all just clearly presented to in a very open fashion...not at all muddy or mushy.

Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
#5073 08/23/02 02:58 AM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Appreciate your comments Mary. Thanks.

Cheers.

#5074 08/23/02 08:31 AM
veteran
veteran
Joe90

Another (and perhaps a bit extreme) way to describe a speaker that is very forward sounding (at least in MY acoustic memory/terminology) is to listen to a speaker that uses a horn midrange and tweeter. If you ever have heard such a speaker (like some of the older Klipsh speakers) you will understand in an instant!

Randyman

#5075 08/23/02 09:41 AM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the example Randyman. Using the old Klipsh horn tweeter/midrange speaker as a baseline example of "very forward-sounding" (translation=harsh?), how would you rate or describe the sound of Axioms (M60 or M80) in comparison?

#5076 08/23/02 12:48 PM
veteran
veteran
Joe90

Just for a bit of background - I have pretty sensitive hearing in the upper midrange (and minor very high frequency hearing loss)frequencies (but MANY people do).

The very pronounced forward sound of the horn loaded tweeter and midrange designs quickly gives me listening fatigue. I also used to experience that to a lesser degree on the older Cerwin-Vega semi-horn speaker designs. As a baseline comparison, to the old Klipsch horns, the M60s have a SLIGHT tendency to do the same thing but to a a MUCH lesser degree - BUT only on certain music (CDs). I am fairly convinced that it is more of the recording technique than a characteristic of the 60s driver/crossover design. Many pop/rock recordings are miked and mixed specifically for radio and/or boom box (and portable) play. Thus they are too "hot" for many good stereo systems.

Since I have never heard the M80s , I cannot speak to their sound, (though I understand they are very similar to the 60s) but I had the 50s and 60s side by side in my LR and I CAN tell you the difference between them - and the 60 is definately MORE forward (clear, clean) in the mids and slightly brighter on the very TOP end (but Hey, I REALLY like that part!) Nothing makes me smile like hearing the crisp sizzle of a high hat or a tamborine, the attack (uppper snap) on the snare drum, or the bright brassy sound of a trumpet.

I hope this helps!

Randyman

#5077 08/23/02 04:48 PM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Appreciate the helpful info. Thanks again Randyman.

Cheers.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters