Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anybody use or heard Vienna Acoustics?
#50723 06/25/04 03:04 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I have a pair of Vienna Acoustics "Bachs" and while they're impressive, they'd be more expensive to match with the appropriate speakers than the Axioms for surround sound... I'm considering leaving them in stereo, but it'd be nice to finally have surround sound

Has anyone heard both Axiom and Vienna Acoustics? How do they compare?

--MoboMoFo
Re: Anybody use or heard Vienna Acoustics?
#50724 06/25/04 04:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've never heard Vienna Acoustics, so I'll be no help. Don't be offended if you don't get any replies. If you don't, it's not that you're being ignored, it's just because no one is familiar with those speakers. Ya never know though. Someone here may have some experience with them.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#50725 06/25/04 05:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Why don't you dive into the QS8's and find out how they match up? If they don't soudn good together, you can always send 'em back, and all it will cost you is shipping (for around 22 lbs, plus packaging weight).

Consider this: If you can't match the Vienna's with Vienna surrounds or bookshelves (if they even make them), and are unwillin to mix-match you're speakers, then you are going to be relegated to one of the following situations: (1) stereo sound for the life of your Vienna's, or (2) purchase a new, all matching surround system.

In the first scenario, you don't achieve your objective. In addition, what would be the harm of adding even crappy sounding surround speakers to your system. If you're going to listen to all of your music in stereo (pure direct), then justy dont' use the surrounds when you listen to music. But, I woudl venture that even crappy surrounds (barring static inducing paper boxes that rattle and hum, etc.) are better than no surrounds - especially to give you a taste of it all.

In the second scenario, you'll have to purchase the surrounds (along with new front and center speakers) - so the money is already spent.

Therefore, I suggest that you take advantage of the 30 day free trial. If you like what you hear - then, bingo, Bob's your uncle. If you don't, then you have two options - either send them back for a full refund (minus the cost of shipping them back) or you can purchase a new set of matching fronts to go with them (if the back account so allows).

Either way, you've gotr nothing to lose. And considering the diffuse and transparent sound of the QS8s, I'd venture to guess that they will soudn just fine, especially for an exclusively home theater application (music might be another issue).

JUST DO IT....

#50726 06/25/04 11:00 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
That's got to be the best reasoned answer to a question of this type that I've seen.

He's right. Just give it a shot. And let us know how it works!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#50727 06/28/04 01:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks - But I should learn how to spell, or type better.

#50728 06/28/04 01:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I remember listening to a pair of VA Beethovens about a year ago and thinking they sounded alot like my M60s (except with WAY better bass extension and nicer cabinets). I would concur that trying a pair of QS8s would be the way to go. From my recollection, I do not believe they will mismatch.
I have a similar dilemna with my gameroom system (should have bought Axioms for there, too).

#50729 06/30/04 04:01 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Of course, they're 5 times more expensive... and not easily found anymore :/

As long as they're as good as my Bachs, that's all I'm asking for =P

--MoboMoFo
#50730 07/01/04 07:42 PM
B
frequent flier
frequent flier
B
I listened to a pair of Mozarts next to a pair of B&W CM4s. The VA Mozarts were nice but the silk tweeter had a VERY soft sound. The B&Ws and the Axiom M60s (I bought the M60s) have a much more detailed sound. Not harsh, but much more detailed. I think the VAs and Axiom probably would not be a good match. The VAs might be better in a room with hardwood floors and a lot of glass while the Axioms might fare better in rooms with carpet, drapes, etc.

#50731 07/02/04 11:09 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
My intention was to replace the VA's, actually

At this point, I'm looking at the m60's, vp150, and... maybe another set of the m60's for surround.

I figure I'm going to be restricted to stands... and identical speakers are going to sound the best for surround sound... so rather than buying stands AND speakers, just get identical rears... should guarantee voicing and all that

--MoboMoFo

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters