#51135 07/02/04 05:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ha! I can sympathize w/ that one...

Re: What's your Movie/Music Ratio?
#51136 07/02/04 06:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
bigjohn, I haven't seen the movie - and will not so long as that fat bastard would profit from it - so I cannot comment upon the validity of its content.

However, with the plethora of keen analytical minds on this board, I do find it interesting that nobody seems to question Mr. Moore's credibility. If he is so sincere about telling us his message, why does he charge you $8-10 to hear it? Why doesn't he donate all of his proceeds from the movie to charity - or provide free showings? You guys know better than to believe what the salesman at CC or GG tells you about the products he wants you to buy. Why be so willing to buy Mr. Moore's product? His primary intent is to make a wad of cash, just as every other demagogue who purports to be a spreader of the truth.

#51137 07/02/04 06:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
divert focus, and shift the center of attention.. text book dodging tactics..

if someone makes a movie about the 'lies and profit' of michael moore, i promise you, i will go see it!

until then, i will choose to use my 'analytical' skills on decifering and understanding the points of this movie.

and to ask why he 'charges' people to see a movie, is kinda out there bigwill. why do you cash YOUR paychecks?? why dont you just teach for free, to the betterment of our nation.. you do a job, you get paid.. its been that way forever.. i hope you dont expect him to be a saint?? i would be the first to say, he aint.. but i would also say that those are some mighty high expectations from you??

why dont you 'expect' the same from your president?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#51138 07/02/04 06:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As I said in my first sentence above, bigjohn, I can't comment on the movie - I haven't seen it and I'm not going to pay to go see it. I did see a clip from the film (on the news) in which Bush is shown talking about the war in Iraq and then says, "Now watch this drive," with a smile. Following that, a quick succession of other Bush golfing clips. Moore's point is clear: Bush sends troops overseas to kill and die while he's off having a great time playing golf. But the quick juxtaposition of images is a psychological tactic to influence viewers on a subconscious level - not an attempt to appeal to their intellects through rational discourse. As someone mentioned previously we're talking about propaganda here, "info-tainment".
The movie is not a "professional journal article", as chesseroo was fond of saying.

#51139 07/02/04 08:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i concur, there is a fair amount of 'info-tainment'(first time i have seen that term, and i like it) in the movie. and as i had mentioned, there is most definitely a pro-democratic spin on the movie.

but the fact remains, that there are several actual, true, documented occurances that raise all kinds of red flags in my mind about the behavior and tactics of george w. clearly, you wish not to see the movie, therefore, any additional commentary about its content will be in vain. so i reckon we can agree to disagree.

there is an 'agenda' to this movie.. there is 'propganda' in this movie. but there is also plenty of valid, true occurances that make a semi-intelligent guy like myself question the reasonings behind george w's decisions.

it is a well made movie, and it is justified. i can dig the fact that we have different opinions and views on politics. thats cool, thats why we love living in america so much. nothing personal, no viscious attacks, no name calling.. we are two grown men with different views.. nuff said.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#51140 07/02/04 08:06 PM
shareholder in the making
I have not seen the movie, but I would point out that Democrat and Republican are not the end all, be all of American politics or political views. In fact, I do not doubt that Michael Moore also has it in for career, corrupt Democratic politicians as well.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#51141 07/02/04 08:14 PM
In reply to:

If he is so sincere about telling us his message, why does he charge you $8-10 to hear it?

I don't recall Michael Moore having a problem with capitalism. He had staff, investors, and a distribution company to pay. He shouldn't need to martyr himself on the altar of capitalism to have his message taken seriously.

The movie is factually correct, but the way in which the facts are presented are crafted from an obviously biased perspective. Because of that, Moore ends up blurring the line between documentary and propaganda film.

#51142 07/02/04 08:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
90% music, 10% movies.

Couldn't understand why the Eternal permitted an ass-kicking cowboy, who wasn't sufficiently intelligent to see the world in terms other than black and white, to steal the election from a very intelligent, decent (though a bit strange) fella like Al Gore ... until 9/11 when I felt a wave of relief that the guy I voted for lost and that we had an ass-kicking cowboy in the Whitehouse.

Lifelong democrat ... things a' changin'

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#51143 07/02/04 08:35 PM
A fine example of the illogicity of sticking to your political party for the sake of loyalty alone. When change occurs, it's important to re-evaluate.

#51144 07/02/04 11:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
pmb, I'm not saying Moore shouldn't be allowed to make money from his film. I was just simply pointing out that he's making a lot of money from this film.

If the point were to educate the public - why bury your message in a montage of video clips? The emotive impact of the art form DETRACTS from the credibility of the political statement. Why not write an editorial, an essay or a position piece for a journal? Because he needs the multi-sensory power of the big screen to add weight and impact to his message.

Similarly, Rage Against the Machine lyrics, without the exquisite raw violence of their music, would be lacking. If their message is so important they should be putting it down on paper in a more coherent form, so that the rationale for their positions could be more adequately explained and understood. So.. it's only music and it's only a movie - no big deal, I guess.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters