Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OT: Declaration of Independence
#51272 07/02/04 04:24 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Though I have read it many times, I am always deeply moved by the strength, power and eloquence expressed in the Declaration of Independence. I urge everyone to take a few moments to reflect upon how the risks taken and sacrifices made in those days changed our world.

To my Canadian friends, sorry for the ruckus

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: OT: Declaration of Independence
#51273 07/02/04 04:32 PM
shareholder in the making
I am ashamed to say that I have never before this day read through the entire document. It truly is remarkable. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#51274 07/02/04 07:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Don't get me started. I have always been moved by that document (among others). Old regulars around here have heard me say before that I am a lover of the language, and have heartfelt respect, and profound admiration, for those who use it well. When I come across instances of such usage, my invariable reaction is one of (that poor overused word) awe.

For those who have never seen it, I would direct you to an old piece of fluff movie called Ruggles Of Red Gap.

Leonard Maltin gives the movie 4 stars. From a review at the Internet Movie Database:

"The movie was nominated for Best Picture and the performances are outstanding, particularly Charles Laughton as the butler/servant who sees freedoms and opportunities in America that he never would have had if he remained in England. The standout scene in the movie is when Laughton is in a local Red Gap bar and someone mentions Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. When no one in the bar can seem to remember what Lincoln said, Laughton (the Englishman) recites the speech in its entirety with enough emotion and dramatic flair to bring tears to one's eyes."

All I can say is, if you have not heard Charles Laughton (an Englishman) recite the Gettysburg Address, you have not heard the Gettysburg Address. I would've given anything to hear him read the Declaration Of Independence.

Thanks, Tom, for encouraging me to read it again.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#51275 07/02/04 07:48 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm not trying to get anyone upset here, and do think that the Declaration of Independence is a great piece of history.

Did anyone else notice the last point in the list of facts table? I'm sure there is a whole group of people who live in the United States who don't appreciate that type of language.

#51276 07/02/04 07:49 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Jack, it is my desire to not only get you started, but also to keep you going. I share your admiration for great writing, and I re-encountered "Leaves of Grass" not long ago solely due to a reference you posted. I thank you for that, and for today's movie reference.

I think it is entirely appropriate that, on a forum devoted largely to the appreciation of music, we also occasionally take time to expand our definition of joyful "Lyrics". Great writing is no less an art form than music, and each has the capacity to elevate and inspire on a level that I find tremendously satisfying.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#51277 07/02/04 08:03 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I would agree completely that literary works are works of art.

As a citizen of Canada, I truly enjoyed reading the document. I remember studying it when we studied politics, and great thinkers seminal works.
This is of course built on many brilliant ideas from many brilliant people over the course of pre- USA world - my favourite being John Locke.

#51278 07/02/04 08:03 PM
As with all historical documents, you have to consider the context. I don't like that kind of language either, but from the perspective of those writing/signing it, some of whom had probably seen/lived through/faught in attacks by Native Americans, without the support of the Britich government, it probably seemed a valid statement. On the other side of things, the US Government and the colonists did some pretty horrid things to the Native Americans as well... I imagine that if the Native Americans had written a similar document for some reason, it would have mentioned the lying, honorless, thieving white man.

#51279 07/02/04 08:21 PM
old hand
old hand
kcarlile, I totally agree with you. That is exactly what I was trying to say. I don't want to take away from the excellent piece of writing that the Declaration of Independence is, or of its enormous effect on the world. I just wanted to point that out because it sort of struck me as odd to have such a revered piece of literature contain such racism. But I agree, context is everything.

#51280 07/02/04 08:23 PM
Hell, you can find it in the Constitution, too...

And in the Bible. In fact, it's all over the Bible. But so's an awful lot of good stuff.

#51281 07/02/04 08:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It is unreasonable to judge a 1776 document with 2004 values. Were you alive then, you would have used the same language. P.S. by definition, everyone born on the North and South American continents is a "native" American.

Tom, to give credit where credit is due, I believe it was actually BigJohn who reintroduced us to the Leaves Of Grass."

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082