Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: OT: Declaration of Independence
#51292 07/05/04 05:36 PM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
Having studied around the world, it was most amazing to view American textbooks alongside of those of other countries. The biggest problem that I saw was historical facts that were left out - ie the US losing the war of 1812 to Canada. This is mentioned in many texts from other sources, but I never saw it in a US textbook.

Also, the students of other countries study world history. The students I met while in the US told me they did little world history, but were working primarily US history.

I may have met atypical students, but for years my US relatives did not have the exposure to facts, media, open exchanges available in Europe.....

No offense intended...simply ramblings.

Re: OT: Declaration of Independence
#51293 07/06/04 03:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"Having studied around the world, it was most amazing to view American textbooks alongside of those of other countries. The biggest problem that I saw was historical facts that were left out - ie the US losing the war of 1812 to Canada. This is mentioned in many texts from other sources, but I never saw it in a US textbook."

Not surprising that it's not in any American textbook. I would be surprised to see that in any textbook - Canada did not exist in 1812. Regardless, the war between Great Britain and the US should likely be called a draw, as nothing was gained nor lost on either side (other than lives, property and Washington DC. Think they'd be willing to come burn it again ).

"...but for years my US relatives did not have the exposure to facts, media, open exchanges available in Europe....."

That was intended as a joke right?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020