Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: OT: Wireless internet?
#51388 07/08/04 03:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So i bought a linksys pci adapter the other day, we have our cable now so yesterday i hooked up the wireless stuff (i wish)! i have the router working and internet on this computer ( hooked to router ) but i cant get the wireless part working right. I was able to get the router and adapter to talk but it wont connect to the internet and i have no idea where to start... The adapter came with NO manual, only a stupid easy setup paphlet which didnt do anything. Its like i can get them to connect but i dont have something set right to allow for intenet acess.

linksys website is compltely worthless... no way im gonna spend 6 hours on the phone with them. i'll just return the thing! or return this microsoft router and buy the linksys one walmart had and then it might work. . dunno but im getting pretty frustrated!

#51389 07/08/04 03:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
SEEE! Linksys bad!

#51390 07/08/04 04:03 AM
shareholder in the making
Is your machine getting an ip address? Do an ipconfig -all to see if it's picking anything up. Try an ipconfig -release, then an ipconfig -renew to see if it gets anything. Check if the router is set to hand out ip addresses (DHCP) over the wireless. Make sure that the computer is set up to use the wireless card as its network device. What OS are you on? (should have been the first question...)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#51391 07/08/04 04:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
omg it works!!!!!

im typing this on the wireless computer. I just set it for DHCP or whatever and then redid the network wizard and now its working like a charm

The true test will be if it works good at a distance because right now they router and adapter are about 2 feet apart. Hopefully none of my settings will change now when i restart or something. Thanks for the help, although i didnt see it till i got it working

Last edited by Haoleb; 07/08/04 04:16 AM.
#51392 07/08/04 05:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ok it *was* working. until i restarted both the computers. then it lost my network settings or something i think. The two OS is XP pro on my wired computer and 98se on the wireless. I know it has to do with this internet gateway thing on the wireless computer but i cant get that to work now. lol.

edit- now it works... apparently it doesnt save my network settings and everytime i turn them off i need to redo the whole deal. which is a real porblem since i turn this 98 computer off everyday

Sigh... computer repair man is NOT my favorite activity

Last edited by Haoleb; 07/08/04 05:33 AM.
#51393 07/08/04 05:42 AM
Welcome to my world. I've had 98 machines working, but it was with an Orinoco card... and unfortunately, I specialize in Macs.

What's the internet gateway thing? Is it for DSL or something (ie a PPPoE translator?)

Last edited by kcarlile; 07/08/04 05:45 AM.

#51394 07/08/04 05:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I dunno, the internet gateway deal is i guess the internet sharing stuff. ( my technical explanation )lol.

At any rate, i dont know why it wouldnt be keeping my network settings. And although i have the internet working i dont have the file sharing working yet. and i dont even want to start on that fiasco. my usb key will have to do

#51395 07/08/04 02:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Why do you need to set your network settings on your machines? It should be on Dynamic IP which needs no setting. Sometimes..but not really needed ... you can set your workgroup on your machines the same as what you have for your Linksys. In your Linksys it is the name of the wireless network you setup. Or use the default name created by your router.
Once in a while it may just stop altogether. That usually happens when the IP given by your provider changes. I don't get this issue with the MSI router I have as it realizes it and changes the IP accordingly. But what happens is that the router keeps the old IP given by the provider and the IP already has expired on the provider side and assigns a new one. To fix this ... shutdown your PC's, the router and your cable/DSL modem. Turn on your DSL modem...wait...till your cable/DSL modem picks up the assigned IP...a minute is good enough...turn on your router...to get the new IP .... then turn on your computers...that usually fixes that situation.

As with IPs not being saved on the Win98...something with your driver or network registry is corrupted. I have seen that on occasion. The only way to fix that is to remove the network card and driver software. Remove ALL entries in the registry (a pain). Re-install it from scratch.

As with dropping a wireless network the cordless phone and microwave(I think) runs on the 2.4Ghz. The older Dlink models drop signals when any of the two operate. I do not see this with the MSI or Lynksys. But if your router does do this there should be a place in the setting of your router to move the frequency from 2.5Ghz to like 2.48-2.54Ghz. I believe the MSI and Linksys router does this automatically when the network starts degrading due to the noise generated by those devices. But don't quote me on that. Just last night I was working on my dining table with my Laptop with a MSI wireless cardbus connecting to my router about 16 feet upstairs. My fiancee was talking on a 2.4Ghz phone and heating up some food in the microwave...all of which was within 10 feet of me.

Last edited by Saturn; 07/08/04 03:03 PM.
#51396 07/08/04 07:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not that this is the root cause of your problem, but those who mentioned Linksys problems should check that they have a newer piece. Some of the older models suffered from a problem with the embedded OS (Linux) that runs the box.

Not to fear, but the Tivo appeared to be ok, as it ran embedded Linux as well.

#51397 07/08/04 07:22 PM
Mine's brand new. I think I'm ok. Of course, that means I haven't got proof of long term usability, but if it lasts a year, it'll be longer than that D-Link.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup