Print Thread
Rate Thread
Info On The New Onkyo TX-SR502
#51553 07/07/04 07:15 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
The New Onkyo TX-SR502

Onkyo has upgraded its budget 6.1-channel TX-SR502 A/V receiver with a power increase to 75 Watts per channel, and improved surround processing, including Dolby ProLogic IIx and DTS-96/24. The model includes a suite of high-end features, including 6.1 channel processing for Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, and HDTV capable component video switching.

With the addition of Dolby Laboratory's new ProLogic IIx processing, the Onkyo TX-SR502 takes the guesswork out of surround processing by automatically deriving full 6.1-channel audio from absolutely any stereo or multichannel source. The receiver employs high quality linear PCM 96 kHz/24-bit D/A converters and a sophisticated 32-bit DSP processor for ideal reproduction of soundtracks and multichannel audio.

The TX-SR502 also boasts 50 MHz component video switching, allowing the receiver to switch high definition video signals without degrading video quality. There are two component video inputs and one output, four A/V composite inputs and two outputs with alternate S-Video connections, plus front panel A/V composite and S-video inputs for convenient connection of portable devices. The receiver has four assignable digital audio inputs with one coaxial and three optical connectors, RCA line-level connections for a CD player and audio recorder, and a subwoofer preamplifier output. There are dual banana-plug-compatible multi-way speaker binding posts for all main channels with color-coding for simplified wiring, and front channel "B" terminals for a second set of stereo speakers.

The Onkyo TX-SR502 includes six internal power amplifier channels with high-current, low-impedance discrete output devices, to deliver a continuous power output of 75 Watts per channel into 8-Ohm loads. Onkyo's WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) gives the power stage a linear frequency response from 10 Hz to 100 kHz to ensure it’s up to the challenge of the most demanding audio sources, such as SACD and DVD-Audio.

The dot-matrix fluorescent front panel display makes setup and operation of the receiver easy and fast, including variable speaker configuration and distance settings for simple optimization of any speaker arrangement. With the new adjustable crossover on the subwoofer pre-out channel, the LFE channel signal can be cutoff at 60, 80, 100, 120 or 150 Hz, for seamless integration of any satellite and subwoofer combination.

The receiver's high quality AM/FM tuner section has 30 random presets, and FM automatic scan tuning. The included preprogrammed remote control makes system integration and control simple and convenient.

The TX-SR502 is currently available in either black or silver finish at a suggested retail price of $299.

Just a little info on this receiver for all who is interested in it.

Sutter Cane

I have this receiver........
#51554 07/07/04 12:58 PM
T
old hand
old hand
T
I just bought it a few months ago. It powers my M60's just fine. Alot of options for under 300 dollars.

Re: I have this receiver........
#51555 07/08/04 02:07 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Todd:

Yeah, I think it's the best entry level receiver on the market right now. It could very easily be considered a mid level receiver, that things got a lot on it, and is an outstanding deal at 299.

I've been considering purchasing it myself since my HK-525 died. I don't have the funds right now to purchase the Onkyo model I'd really like to get, but considering I'm currently receiverless at the moment, I'm strongly considering purchasing the 502. I think it's more then enough receiver to get me and my M50's by, at least untill I'm in a better position to purchase the model I'd really like to get.

Sutter Cane

SC.........
#51556 07/08/04 01:58 PM
T
old hand
old hand
T
Do it.......you won't be disappointed in it. I also will be in the market for another reciever soon. My whole system, including speakers, was about 10 years old. I haven't spent as much time in front of my stereo set up {the Onkyo and M60's} for a long, long time.

Re: I have this receiver........
#51557 07/08/04 02:52 PM
old hand
old hand
601 is on sale at JandR.com for $350

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,324 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup