Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Setting up new HT, new to A/V looking for advi
#52406 07/14/04 10:29 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yup, it's amazing how much detail my M50s have at low volumes. Even when the 525 is at -50, I still hear things I've never heard before.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: Setting up new HT, new to A/V looking for advice
#52407 07/14/04 11:03 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Well I took some pics so you guys can take a look:

LIVING ROOM:

This is the living room "east wall". As you can see there are big windows in the corner. I had an idea that I can get some thick drapes and pull them closed when we're watching a movie or something.

LIVING ROOM w/ FOYER:

This is a shot from the 2nd floor of the corner with the foyer.

LIVING ROOM REAR:

This is shot looking back from the front. You can see the opening into the kitchen. The side of the opening with the light switch is where the balcony starts right above this picture.

BALCONY:

This is the second floor as viewed from the living room. I think this is a good place to mount the QS8's.

Let me know what you think.

Te

#52408 07/15/04 02:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I would love to place it on the east wall but a window there takes up half the wall....but now that you got me thinking....maybe I can get a floor mount for the screen...I was originally going to wall mount it but didn't have enough wall there.

There are huge windows in the NW corner. One on the W wall thats about 6ft wide and one directly adjacent to it on the N wall about 3-4ft wide. My NW corner is just a big window.

I have a portable floor projection screen and it goes over big windows and nicely stores away under the curtains. I also am sitting 9'-10' from the screen. In short distances make sure you projector can project a big enough image at that close distance. Some projector have a far throw. You need a short throw in close spaces.

check out my setup:
http://www.spacelofts.com/h30/

#52409 07/15/04 02:38 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
well, i will take first crack since no one else has..BTW, great room, i would guess you have new carpet being that everyone had to take off their shoes

man, that is an odd shaped room to try and do anything with.. you either got doorways or windows on every wall where you could put a TV.. not to mention, once you do find a spot for the TV, you have to come up with a good way to place the furniture around it. the best scenario i could think of, would be to place the entertainment center on that left wall as you come in the foyer door.. i know it will be partly blocking that big window, but thats about the only good place with respect to still having to set up furniture. then i would place the surrounds above the two doors(the one to the right of the stairs and the kitchen door).. if you try and place them up on that balcony, that seems too high to me.. then, your couch or main listening area, could be just in front of the kitchen door, towards the TV..

there, thats my 2 cents.. i could be way off, but thats the best guess for how the pics looked to me.. have fun, and to answer an earlier question.. the M60's with a good sub, will fill that place just fine.. you would be surprised as to just how loud they can go.. also, be sure to put down some sort of thick carpet to help with sound reflection on the hardwood.. you might get some bad echoing if you dont.. you dont have to cover the whole floor, just the section inbetween the TV and your sitting area..

thats about it.. good luck

bigjohn

PS- SATURNS POST WAS NOT THERE WHEN I STARTED MINE!! I DONT WANT ANYONE THINKING THAT I THOUGHT HIS POST DIDNT COUNT AS A "CRACK"..

Last edited by bigjohn; 07/15/04 02:40 AM.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#52410 07/15/04 03:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm sooooooooo insulted. You must weapons of mass destruction.

#52411 07/15/04 02:54 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks for the advice about the carpet. I guess we just need to see how things will sound once we get all of our furniture and stuff in. About the QS8's, how high would you recommend that they be? And which direction should they point? I can possibly hang them down from under the balcony, essentially the ceiling part.

#52412 07/15/04 03:01 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
you could do that, but then they would essentially become 'rears' instead of surrounds.. you want the surrounds to be about a foot infront/behind the listening position to the sides. there is no set height for them to be.. usually, anywhere from level with your ears, to upwards of 3-4 feet above your ears is fine.. thats why i was saying if the TV is on that wall with the big window, and the couch is just in front of the kitchen door, then just above, or maybe a little infront of those doors would be good.

i hope i am saying this in a way that makes sense? putting the QS8's under the lip of the balcony wont be horrible, but certainly not the best either.

keep in mind, you can only work with what you got, so dont stress over it too hard.

bigjohn

#52413 07/15/04 04:14 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I see what you're saying now, so something like this:
SP - Speaker
PL - Plasma
C - Couch
S - Surround

SP............S

PL...........C

SP............S

BTW - I think I've decided that I want a SVS PB2-ISD to compliment my system What do you think?

Te

#52414 07/15/04 04:23 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
EXACTLY.. you could even put the surrounds in front of the couch a little like this..

SP..............S

PL...............C

SP..............S

either way is fine.. and the PB2-ISD should be enough bass to loosen the boards on that hardwood floor. i have never heard one, but i would bet that it will be everything you could ask for..

bigjohn

#52415 07/15/04 05:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Te,

In my own learning process, I've collected a bunch of tutorials related to this hobby. Here are a couple that address speaker placement.

Where am I supposed to put all these speakers?

Setting Up Your Home Theater

And here is a comprehensive guide which will probably answer most any question you may have.
A Primer for Home Theater Newcomers
It's a couple of years old, but everything pretty much still applies. If you have questions about something not covered here, let me know, and I'll see if I've got another tutorial which will satisfy.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082