Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 102 of 172 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 171 172
Re: OT: Politics
#53619 09/25/04 12:13 PM
devotee
devotee
BigWill - What actually surprises me the most is that no one is telling him to cut the crap w/ all the flip-flopping. Does he not think that the media has the tapes rolling?...that they wouldn't catch on to how often he changes his positions?...or, did he just think that he could ride the anti-Bush wagon to end and just expect the American people to just accept and forgive all of his contradictions and continued inconsistencies? I'm not sure why he's in such a rush to debate Bush. After all, all Bush has to do is simply and tactfully bring up Kerry's previous positions and how they would have been in agreement if he had maintained those positions. He could do that all night and make Kerry look like an idiot on national TV. I guarantee that the Bush camp will not miss that golden opportunity.

In the end, I think that Kerry's campaign is slowly but surely unraveling. I don't think that this is due to any kind of massive shift in public opinion (conservative mandate). I think that the core problem is that the Democratic party picked a loser as it's candidate. They picked someone that has zero charisma and holds no semblance of a core belief system....and it's beginning to show through. We're beginning to see that there's just a little greedy opportunist man behind that curtain.

#53620 09/25/04 04:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
pmb, people are stupid. But if the same thing were to happen in Iran, Saudia Arabia, etc... - a local girl converting to Christianity, trotting around the bazaar in daisy dukes and a halter top - I wonder what folks over there would do?

turbodog, people are stupid. Kerry is counting on that, and the complicity of the TV news media, to try and address different segments of the population with different messages - hoping they'll catch a soundbite they like and won't hear anything else.

Between Kerry's nuanced campaign strategy and the TV ads here in California for all the ballot initiatives, my confidence in democracy is being tested.

#53621 09/25/04 09:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
BigWill, the penalty under Islamic law for conversion to another faith is death. So, my question is, why get so upset about a few yahoos who make fun of a woman basketball player who wants to wear a non-conforming uniform, when that culture would kill her for converting out of Islam? How can you get so upset about the issue of some folks' reaction to a woman who wants to cover herself from head to foot as required by Islamic law, even while playing basketball when Islamicists are cutting peoples' heads off, blowing up markets, pizza parlors, flying airliners full of men, women and children into high rise buildings, murdering thousands in the name of Islam ... where's the balance here?

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#53622 09/25/04 09:33 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Why worry about urban american racism when we could focus instead on the Darfur crisis?

Why worry about hurricane damage in Florida when Haiti has been completely leveled by Jeanne?

Why worry about homelessness in the US when somewhere between 7 and 15% of rural Bangladeshi's are homeless and even more in the cities?

Where's the balance there?

The point is, it all sucks... but we can't let ourselves ignore one problem just because there's a worse problem going on somewhere else. You think it's unreasonable to get upset about something happening in the US just because it happens to a much worse extent elsewhere in the world?

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#53623 09/25/04 09:38 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Ringmir... I have been lurking lately... but Bigwill said "Why get so upset?" ... not "We should ignore".

And yes, what happened to the girl playing basketball was bad.

She IS alive, however. We did not behead her as an infidel.

#53624 09/25/04 09:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We can get upset about these things that happen here because it is in our country, so we expect things to be to a higher standard. Just because worse things are going on in other countries does not make it ok for bad things to go on here.

#53625 09/25/04 10:06 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
This is where I get frustrated. I just said what happened to her was BAD. Do we need a dictionary here ?

#53626 09/25/04 10:21 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Craig, my post was mostly in response to 2x6. The tone of his post seems to indicate that what happened here is ok because it pales in comparison to what would have happened were the situation reversed. If that's not what the intention was I appologize, but that is how it reads, especially in conjunction with his previous post. I think Zarak was just providing the response to my rhetorical question.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#53627 09/25/04 10:39 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
That is cool... and I agree, the people who have a problem with this girl are wrong. There is a lot of stuff being thrown around in the article that was the link that had no proof... just "say what I want in quotes, therefore it is true"... no proof as to who said it....

And there IS the point... about KILLING... we cannot even IMAGINE a beheading here...

#53628 09/26/04 06:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
For the record, 2x6 said, "Why get so upset", not me - though I would have to agree with the sentiment.

There is no racism involved in the case of the basketball player. Ignore the jests and stupid remarks of the hillbillies, and focus on the response of the NCAA. They said "no" to the request for a uniform variance. End of story.

"Bad" things are happening all over the world. Animals are eaten alive by bigger animals, disease wipes out large numbers of every species, storms, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc... It is a mistake we make in thinking that gov't can solve/prevent these problems or pick up the pieces afterwards and make everything better. It's life - bad stuff happens. There is no insurance you can buy - or gov't program we can fund - to make everybody's lives perfect. We continue to head for that Big Brother nanny-style gov't.

Anyway, it's unrealistic of that girl to expect to wear the burka (or whatever it is) on the basketball court. They could put Michael Jordan in the thing and win every game!

Page 102 of 172 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 171 172

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters