Rate Thread
Page 55 of 172 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 171 172
Re: OT: politics
#53149 09/02/04 09:37 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Spiff... Acutally, If you have a really good tax attorney (like one who is also a CPA).. You can get around the majority of estate taxes. The other thing to remember is you paid income taxes on all your earning, then the government wants to take half your money again after you die... like being dead was not already tough enough.

#53150 09/02/04 09:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Like I said, I don't agree with the estate tax at all. My point was that the new cut was again aimed at helping the overtly rich.

#53151 09/02/04 09:43 PM
devotee
devotee
Spiff,

Have you ever taken a look at the Tax Burden Statistics or the Breakdown of Taxpayers? I hear Liberals often speak with disdain for "the wealthy" and any tax relief that the evil Republicans want to give them. However, what you never hear them admit is the fact that the top 40% of wagearners in the US carry 85% of the tax burden. The top 10% of wageearners carry almost 50% of that burden.

You guys piss and moan about the wealthy and all the perks they get from tax relief....but who is the one paying the tab for this thing? I am one of those that fall in that fourth quartile and I'm frankly tired of paying so much damn taxes. I have student loan payments, my kids future, and my retirement to figure out how to afford. However, the big disgusting government suck-machine draws a huge chunk of my paycheck each month to fund all of this eternal crap that the spend-hounds dream up.

You are about to type in a response talking about Bush's spending and I agree with you. However, your guy is the undisputed king of the Senate Liberals and he has absolutely NO plans on lessening the burden on me and my family. Bush may have his spending policies out of whack, but he's the best chance of the two to put a stop to this eternal mission of the Left to pull well-earned money out of my pocket and distribute it to the "downtrodden masses"....not to mention the fact that he is the only one of the two that truly knows what it means to be commander and chief of the armed forces of this nation and the protector of our nation from the threats from abroad.

(end speech)

#53152 09/02/04 09:46 PM
devotee
devotee
Now, how about that Zell Miller?....blistering!!!! Hoo-Rah!!! It's about time someone had the cahones to take off the mittens and tell it like it is.

#53153 09/02/04 11:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

not to mention the fact that he is the only one of the two that truly knows what it means to be commander and chief of the armed forces of this nation and the protector of our nation from the threats from abroad.

Huh? You're holding it against Kerry that he's not currently President? That makes no sense whatsoever. The only reason GW "...truly knows what it means to be commander and chief of the armed forces of this nation..." is because he's currently holding that title. How much did he know about it 4 years ago? Squat. Just like every other Presidential hopeful. (except perhaps Grant and Ike)

#53154 09/02/04 11:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"The handicapped did not choose to be that way, but if not for many programs they would find it difficult to survive."

My wife just recently quit her state job working with the severely developmentally disabled, so I reckon it is safe to bash the agency for which she worked.
Huge amounts of money are wasted on programs for people who have IQs lower than your cat's. All those people need, IMO, is to be well cared for - clean, safe, fed, etc... What we do instead is waste millions and millions of dollars on feel good programs (vocational training, horse therapy, etc...) and pay out millions more to settle or defend frivilous lawsuits based on the IDEA.

Every gov't employee knows that the purpose of their particular agency is the expansion of that agency's budget and payroll first and foremost, and the delivery of services a distant second. It is the same story across the board in every agency: health and human services, education, corrections, welfare, motor vehicles, etc...

We would be much better off if families and communities took care of their own, rather than turn to gov't programs.

#53155 09/02/04 11:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I am one of those that fall in that fourth quartile and I'm frankly tired of paying so much damn taxes.

So am I (if I'm reading that thing right)...and you know what GW's going to do for us? Jack Squat. NOTHING. What makes you think otherwise?

#53156 09/03/04 12:02 AM
devotee
devotee
What I'm holding against Kerry is that he has spent the past 15 years trying to recklessly gutt defense spending while we were in the midst of the Cold War. Then, once Russia had crumbled, he used it as a justification to cease all modernization of our military. You cannot read through the list of weapons systems that he voted against and truthfully say that he has a sound understanding of what it takes to defend this country and fully support our troops. The tomahawks that he voted against saved thousands of American lives by minimizing the level of combat our military had to undertake during the first Gulf War. The Apache helicopter and the Bradley vehicles that he voted not to fund are the very tools that made the initial stages of this Gulf War so successful and minimized US casualties. We all want defense spending to be reduced over time, but Kerry has taken an incredible reckless and illogical approach to this position....one which endangers our nation and the very soldiers that he wishes to command. Bush may frustrate many on various fronts, but he would never take such a ignorant/simplistic/reckless tack when it comes to the men and women of our armed forces and the people of this nation.

#53157 09/03/04 12:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not sure how he voted regarding the big tank we now have (the one that seems virtually impervious to everything and can go 60mph), but I remember many Democrats saying that we didn't need them and the key to all future wars will be airpower. Only partially correct. Those tanks are worth every penny.

#53158 09/03/04 12:11 AM
devotee
devotee
Spiff,

If you are in the 4 quartile, you are "the rich" that your party villifies. At bare minimum, you are the top end of the beloved middle class. If you are indeed in this segment, you carry your share of the vast majority of the taxes of this nation. You are a primary contibutor to this disgusting menace of a government. If you are indeed a part of this segment, your party is only really concerned with latching onto the utter that the government has strapped you with. As a member of this group of society, your only hope for reducing your tax burden is the party that seeks to reduce overall taxes....and I hate to tell you that it is not your party. Your boy may share yours and my views about social issues such as gay marriage, but he sure as hell doesn't share our desire to keep more money in our own pockets...money to be used for our own retirement, our children's educations, and our own general use. Then again, he doesn't have to worry about those thing with his cash cow laying next to him.

Page 55 of 172 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 171 172

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters