Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Yamaha DSP-A1 must replace my Inifiniti Overture-1
#54967 07/20/04 04:04 PM
OP Offline
Hello all,
I (being a newbie to this forum) have purused this forum and you all seem to be a knowledgable bunch and I need some advice. I have been searching online and looking for the best replacement speakers for my surrounds in my current HT set-up. I'm sure you have all heard/experienced this before but we have just moved into a new home that I fortunately had prewired for surround sound in the livingroom. Well my current setup is the following:

Pre-Amp / Amp: Yamaha DSP-A1 (Champagne and wood colored)
Mains: Inifiniti overture-3s
Center: Inifiniti Overture-1
Front Effect (Yamaha proprietary): Inifiniti Overture-1
Surrounds: Inifiniti Overture-1s
LFE: Velodyne 8" (Don't recall the model off-hand)

I am pretty happy with this sound but my wife is a little upset at the dangling speaker wires from the walls and ceiling. The room setup is a smaller living room than what the HT room used to be and is in an open concept room style A.K.A The living room Dining room and Kitchen are all open to each other and there are no walls between them.

The room is efectively an L like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx___L___TV___R_x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx________C_____x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx______________x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_S__________S_x
x__________________________x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please excuse the poor ascii drawing
The right wall should be one straight wall, spacing is off on here so I can't seem to make everything line up.

I need to replace the 2 surround sound speakers and either hang them to the ceiling or wall (the surround speaker wires are coming out of the ceiling). I was looking at the QS8s to replace my infiniti overture-1s that are currently dangling speaker wire from the ceiling and are on floor stands (vetoed by the wife as of this weekend).

I originally thought the Bose cube Acoustimas 10 series III or the Acoustimas 15 Series II would be the answer but I am extremely hesitant to replace my infiniti's for a speaker system that has mixed reviews.

Please assist with this newbie HT owner. I've had the Yamaha and Infinitis since 1998 when the DSP-A1 first came out.

I am open to all suggestions/comments/jokes

Re: Yamaha DSP-A1 must replace my Inifiniti Overtu
#54968 07/20/04 04:08 PM
shareholder in the making
I think that you'll find that the QS8s shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph with the Bose Acoustimass stuff. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

/propaganda

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: Yamaha DSP-A1 must replace my Inifiniti Overture-1
#54969 07/20/04 04:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Kim

I had a similar system - Infinity Overture 3s in the front, Infinity CC3 center, Infinity RS3s in side surround positions, Velodyne CHT 10 sub. It wasn't a bad set up - I thought it was great until I got a pair of Axiom M3Tis for my tube 2 channel system. I was stunned - couldn't believe that the Axioms sounded better than the $3,000 Composition Overture 3s. Kept running up and down 2 flights of stairs with CDs comparing the sound. I was forced to an unwanted conclusion, sold my Infinity system and replaced it with Axioms. My entire Axiom system cost much less than a single pair of Composition Overture 3s.

Please don't be offended by this post - I knew nothing about sound equipment when I bought the Infinity system - I relied on the experts at Circuit City, purchased their top-of-the-line components and ended up with a pretty good system, but not a pretty good system for the price.

I recommend you get the QS8s - prepare to be very pleased and this purchase may well start you rolling down the hill of Axiom audio bliss.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#54970 07/20/04 05:19 PM
OP Offline
I have no probelm receiving criticism as long as it is constructive criticism . I bought these speakers straight out of college and have enjoyed the big booming bass sounds... but now I am a little more refined and want to have a speaker system my wife and i can live with. I love the dark cherry wood look of these speakers, are these just laminates over a hardwood cabinent? I want to set expectations with my wife and don't want to disappoint her or myself.

Also, I am guessing I will need to mount the surrounds along the wall and not on the ceiling for the best sound, and will my large room cause acoustic probelms that these speakers can't compensate for? I am also looking at the Mirage Omnisat for rear surrounds. Does anyone have any experience with these type of speakers? My wife definitely like the the look of the qs8s and now I'm trying to compare features/pros and cons of the 2 types.

thanks for the replies to my thread this has been quite informative.

Re: Yamaha DSP-A1 must replace my Inifiniti Overtu
#54971 07/20/04 05:39 PM
The finish of the QS8s is vinyl over MDF (hardwood is not necessarily the best choice for construction of speakers), but it is extremeley well done. From all that I've heard (I've got QS4s coming soon) the QS series is extremeley forgiving of placement, but the recommended position is on the walls.

I've never heard the Mirages (or the QS8s for that matter!)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#54972 07/20/04 07:14 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Holey Moley! Your wife likes the look of the QS8's and you're still shopping?!?! Order up, already!

Okay, kidding aside, the QS8's are fabulous speakers. I have mine wall-mounted about 6.5 feet off the floor and they really disappear nicely, both sonically and visually. The design is just super; the multi-driver configuration makes a very enveloping experience, and the box is big enough to carry satisfying low frequency material.

IMO, the QS8's are best (easiest, cheapest, excellent performing) when wall-mounted, but Axiom makes a great device called the Full Metal Bracket (FMB - available for additional cost) that others have used to mount them to the ceiling. The FMB allows you to tilt and rotate the speakers nicely. If you MUST ceiling mount them, that would be my suggestion.

I recommend the QS8's enthusiastically and without reservation. Axiom makes good products that represent excellent value. Did you see that they are available in custom finishes also?

That sounds like a really great setup you have. I hope you'll be happy in your new home.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#54973 07/20/04 07:45 PM
OP Offline
ok so I jumped the gun and ordered the QS8s in Cherry and the Black FMB, after reading all the fabulous posts here on this site. I can't wait to test them out. I got the FMB to give me a few more options but I think I just might wall mount them close to the ceiling and have the speaker wire travel from the ceiling to the speaker and paint over the speaker wire... We will see if the Wife Veto comes into effect but I can sure try

Thanks again all...

#54974 07/20/04 08:13 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, all right!

You can also find products like these at Home Depot or Lowe's to help hide surface runs of cable. The QS8 wall mount bracket is really easy. I've had good luck with, and have complete confidence in E-Z Anchor fasteners for those brackets.

Don't try to mount them TOO close to the ceiling; remember that there are drivers on the top and bottom of the speaker in addition to the tweeters on the oblique sides.

Stick around. Post pictures. Let us know how things go for you.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#54975 07/20/04 08:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No criticism intended! Welcome to the Axiom club!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044