Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axiom and Yamaha RX-V2400
#55235 07/21/04 05:30 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hello all,

I have been watching these boards now for several weeks and am very close to purchasing my new Axiom speakers. I will be powering these speakers with a Yamaha RX-V2400. I will be replacing all of my speakers except the sub. I’m thinking:

2-M80ti Main speakers
1-VP150 Center channel
6-QS8 Surrounds

My Questions

1) Does anybody else have a Yamaha RX-V2400 and the M80’s, VP150, and QS8’s?
Any issues with the 4 and 6 ohm speakers with the Yamaha? Do you have the Yamaha set to 8 or 6 ohm.

2) When mounting the QS8’s do you mount them with the back of the speaker flush / parallel to the wall or do you “point” them at the listening position.

3) Has anybody purchased their speakers over time and still get the home theater discount? Due to my budget I would probably have to start with the M80’s than wait a few months for the VP150..etc.

From watching these boards now for awhile there seems to be a lot of nice folks in the Axiom community. I can’t wait to join.

Thank you for any comments or suggestions you may have.

There is no spoon.
Re: Axiom and Yamaha RX-V2400
#55236 07/21/04 06:05 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
first off, welcome.. if you get the axioms, you will be very pleased.

from other conversations, the 2400 should have no prob with the 4ohm load.. and yamaha makes great amps/receivers, so i dont reckon you will have a prob with that..

i am confused as to why you would need 6 QS8's?? i can see 2 for the surround, and maybe 2 for rears, but whats the other 2 for?? you would be better off getting 2 for surrounds, get 2 M2's or M3's for rears, and then use the saved money to get you a great sub.. SVS of HSU are among the best. i think that would be a MUCH better system..

BTW- the QS8's mount flush to the wall.. the tweeters facing out, and the woofers facing up and down. and YES, you can still get the 10% package discount if you have to spread out your purchases.. just call the 1-800#, and they can work it out.

and dont be thinkin were nice.. watch out for ray3, he is a big terd!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#55237 07/21/04 08:25 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks bigjohn for the reply.

The Yamaha RX-V2400 has a 6.1 discreet output. That’s 2 “surround” speakers and 2 “surround back” speakers. The Yamaha also has what they call “presence” speakers.
These are positioned to the outside above and behind the “main” speakers. They are used with there DSP modes to create a more "theater-like ambience" as they call it. Rock concert mode sounds pretty cool
A total of 6 surrounds

Also all of my “surround” speakers are mounted just below the ceiling using brackets so I thought that the QS8’s would work better than bookshelf speakers since I don’t have any room for speaker stands.

As far as subwoofers go I have 2 Yamaha YST-SW160’s right now and with comments like “turn that $%#$%$ bass down” from the wife I think I’m alright in that department.

Thanks again for your input. Keep it coming!

There is no spoon.
#55238 07/21/04 09:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I believe that the presence OR the rear surround work, not both at the same time, by the way...

But, I think that for sporting events, rock concerts, etc., the presence speaker is probably better than the 6th and 7th speakers in the rear. If you can afford to have BOTH the presence and the rear surround - by all means, do it, and pass on yoru impressions.

In re: the QS* issue. Here's the consensus ont he board. Go with the QS8s for the side surrounds. Depending on the width of your back wall, go wil direct firing speakers (which you can also mount in the rear with a full metal bracket). The direct firing are reportedly better for SACD and other 7.1 musical applications. Certainly, though, the QS8s will be fine, too, though, especially if you want a uniform look.

I think that I would go with the QS8s for the presence speakers too. Never having heard a pair of presence speakers, and not really knowing what they are supposed to do (I don't have mine hooked up with my RX-V750), I would think that they provide a nice, airy "back-foreground" mix that adds real depth to the front soundstage... The wide dispersion of teh QS8s is probably really great for that.

Be sure to tell us what you think, and also, please feel free to fill me in properly on the presence speaker issues, if I have gotten anythign wrong. I'm interested in knowing more about this.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044