Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Best Customer Service I have EVER dealt with
#55313 07/22/04 08:21 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I have been posting in AVS Forum threads concerning our recent upgrades to our home theater. Question and answer type of stuff as well as my very humble opinion on certain pieces of equipment.

This thread is neither about the performance nor the “difference” that I have been able to experience. You very seldom read about extra ordinary customer service. I am hoping to change all that.

In the Beginning there was Stereo

I have had a stereo as far back as I can remember. My father used to have a gigantic system back when tubes were all you could get (it was a McIntosh, two channel amp with a turntable and a reel-to-reel tape deck. I am sorry but can not remember the makes other than that huge amp). My first stereo consisted of a Denon receiver, two Technics floor speakers and a Technics turntable with a cassette tape deck purchased by my parents as a Xmas gift to me. I would constantly have the stereo on and would in fact fall asleep with it on (which BTW, drove my father insane ). This system stayed with me from 10th grade until my early twenties.

In the Middle there was HT

As with everything, you tire and get bored and want/desire to upgrade. Stayed with Denon but got a larger two channel receiver and upgraded the speakers to JBL floorstanders. I tried to hook the receiver up for a pseudo surround sound system by adding on an additional pair of speakers then turning on the B channel. It sort of worked. I knew there had to be a better way.

So a few years ago (roughly 8) I gave the Denon to a friend of mine for $50 and purchased a JVC RX-888VBK. The price was right and it had 7x100 watts and 5.1 with DTS and DD decoding. This is the system that I am now upgrading.

Can It Get Any Better?

I was originally turned on to the AVS forum via a referral in January 2003 as I was investigating Plasma televisions. I ended up buying an ED set based upon the reviews and opinions and also my own eyes…that was in April and most if not all of my posting back then was in the plasma forum.

Spring forward to 2004. I got involved in an amp thread in the Amps, Receivers forum. Long story short (too late) I ended up upgrading again with the H/K 7200 and a Crown XLS402 Proamp. These upgrades are a tremendous improvement…minor issues to work out but very worthwhile. I also replaced a real POS sub woofer with a SVS 20-39 Pci, which I received yesterday, along with some other things.

Fence Sitting is Baaaaaaad

Now, granted, the upgrades that I spoke of are not inexpensive. Those three items alone cost ~$1,700. So I begin to read about speakers in this forum as the JBL’s are sounding a little long in the tooth, even though they rate 90dB and 150 watts. Just sounding blah.

After going back and forth and researching here and reading there and auditioning here and listening there. I thought I would try Axioms. I must have visited this website a few hundred times (okay that was an exaggeration, it was more like 30 ) trying to decide on a complete system, this was pre the SVS, or go with everything except the Sub. Added stuff to “My Cart” deleted stuff, tossing ideas back and forth, tossing in my bed.

So one day, actually this past Monday, I decided to “s*it or get off the pot” and ordered a system sans sub. What I ordered were 2 M60Ti’s, 2 QS8’s, and a VP150. Got an email from “Amie” stating that they received my order. I look it over real quick and see “Pair M60Ti’s, Pair QS8’s, 1 VP150”. Looks good. Then I get another email telling me that they shipped from Canada. Ordered Monday received yesterday…which in and of itself is, IMHO, pretty damn good.

You Putz

So I have this great system all ready to set up. It’s hot and humid, I had just gotten home from work. Go upstairs and change come back down stairs, pour myself a cold one and start bringing in boxes. The Sub came the same day so, that one first. Then the Axioms. Only setting up the Mains and the Center as the room has to be reconfigured for the L/R Surrounds. Open the first box…..arrghhh. Definitely wrong color.

Look at the invoice it says “Maple” all over the place, which is what I got. I know I did not want that color and I know the wife would not like it in the area, which has a black HT cabinet, a dark leather sectional sofa and a charcoal plasma. Have to call Axiom.

Dial the number and I am now speaking with Mr. Lofft. I am paraphrasing the conversation:

“Hello, Mr. Lofft, my name is Richard McGirr and I placed an order with your company on Monday, July 19 2004. Could you please call up my order.”

“Yes, just a second. Okay, I see here that you ordered a pair of M60Ti’s, a pair of QS8’s and the VP150 center channel”

“Yes, that’s correct.”

“I also show that they shipped on the same day that you ordered them.”

“Yeah, they’re sitting here on my floor.”

“What’s the problem then.”

“Can you tell me what color I ordered.”

“Maple.”

“Damn, I thought you were going to say that. I wanted the ones that look like Maple on your website…I think that they are called Mansfield Beech. I must have clicked on the wrong button as I think “Maple” would look like Maple Syrup and “Beech” would look whitish. Is there anything that can be done. My wife would kill me if we can’t work something out.”

“I’ll have to get a hold of my partner, Ian, and see what we can do.”

“Please know that I realize this is my goof up, but anything you can do would be appreciated.”

“Okay, you should hear from us either later today or by tomorrow morning via either email or phone numbers. Let’s check those to make sure we have them right.”

And they were.

THIS IS EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE

So it’s Wednesday night, a few friends come over. We drink some beer and have a few laughs.

I have the system turned on….the kids are watching “Cat in the Hat”, we’re on the deck listening to MP3’s via the Audiotron on the Zone 2 of the H/K. I go upstairs and check my email I have a message from Mr. Lofft. Paraphrased:

“Dear Richard,

I got a hold of my partner. We are sending out the set you ordered in “Mansfield Beech” with the Tan grills as well as Return Shipping RMA labels for the Maple ones. Thank you for choosing Axiom.

Sincerely,

Alan Lofft”

Ladies and Gentlemen this is excellent customer service. I screwed up, I admitted it to the supplier and yet they are still sending RMA labels free of charge. No additional cost to me….that is amazing.

So what have I learned:

1) Fence Sitting is Bad
2) I don’t know my colors very well
3) Axiom is a great company

They have gained me as a loyal customer and this is before I have even actually used any of their product. If I ever need any speakers (how come they don’t make outdoor ones?), interconnects or anything else sells, they will be my first stop. Also if I know any of my friends are upgrading I will recommend them simply based on their customer service…if for no other reason.

As a side note, last night I was telling my friends about the email and the whole mess. One of them is looking to upgrade his surround sound system. Guess who I recommended he buy speakers from? Guess who he’s looking into for speakers?

Now, the bad part…I have to wait until tomorrow to see how they sound. If their speakers perform even remotely close to the way their customer service performs, I think that I will be very, very happy. Hell, I’m already happy with this company, great sounding speakers would be “icing on the cake”.

YMMV.

And it’s….

Just my .02

Update: Well it seems my wife had second thoughts on the "Mansfield Beech" (why is it women can be sooo frustrating). No worries though as I got a hold of "Jeff" on the phone, he told me to hold so that he could call "Noreen". Comes back on the phone..."No problem, the replacements were on the dock waiting for pick-up. We will swap out the Mansfield Beech for the Black ones."

You guys are the best..."I love you man" and yes you can most definetly have my Bud light.

PSS. I posted this on the AVS Forum (www.avsforum.com) but it was pulled due to others jumping in for their support of other non-forum sponsors. At least I tried.

So anyone here like their Axioms. lol.

A very happy Axiom customer,

R McGirr
East Lyme, CT

Rich You don't know until you try.
Re: The Best Customer Service I have EVER dealt with
#55314 07/22/04 08:24 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
we had wondered what happened to this story on AVS..

i think it will stay up here!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#55315 07/22/04 09:22 PM
shareholder in the making
Awesome story and an amasing testament to what most of us already know: Axiom kicks [censored]!!

#55316 07/22/04 11:09 PM
Welcome, Rich, and enjoy your Axioms. By the way, I note that you haven't tried Boston Cherry yet(just kidding; don't even show it to your wife!).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: The Best Customer Service I have EVER dealt wi
#55317 07/22/04 11:09 PM
Ooh, what about the custom colors?
/evil grin

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#55318 07/23/04 01:38 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I just love seeing this kind of stuff about Axiom. And this on top of excellent audio! They are probably glad they pretty much ran out of colors . Once you get (one of your sets of) speakers hooked up, calibrated and have the 20-39 pumping waves of LFE, you will wonder why you were even concerned about the color to begin with. If you really want to hurt yourself, put LOTR (any one of the three) in the DVD Player crank the volume a bit and strap yourself in. Pure slice of heaven. I'm glad the whole thing worked out for you. Welcome to the experience!

#55319 07/23/04 03:08 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I'm not a sadist.

Very thankful my better half knows nothing of the custom colors...then again, maybe a phone call is in order to Alan or Amie. "Geez, we were wondering, not really happy with the black, would you mind sending the "hot pink"." I think they would just give me the speakers to get rid of me. LOL

Ray3, you have no idea how much better the sound is already. I would venture to say that it rivals many if not all the local theater setups, with the exception of the screen size. Two channel stereo has never sounded more full and rich. The mids are still sucking wind but the bass is tight and that was chore number one. The setup of an AVR and a relatively inexpensive proamp make for a very good combination. The only downside that I have found so far is the fan noise from the proamp. I'll have to mod it with quieter fans...if it was in a seperate rack in another room though, it's perfect. Like I stated over in AVS, for ~$1,100 I have last years top of the line H/K AVR that has enormous power and 260 Wpc @ 8 ohms from the Crown to drive the mains. I got the power and at a reasonable price point.

I have been listening quite a bit to two channel stereo, which prior I always shied away from (didn't sound so good at loud levels). Now I can't get enough of it, and this is at spl levels of 104 (read big grin). Very clean. In fact, not that it means much if anything, but I can't hear any static from the fronts, from about an inch away, until the H/K is turned to +9 on the dial on a scale of -80 to +13. More than adequate.

I have all 3 LOTR's as well as about 60 other DVD's (finding nemo eg, I want to hear the "glass tap" scene). I am afraid, however, that I will have to watch them all over again.

I am expecting a huge step up from my JBL's and I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I am concerned though and will have to be careful to not crack the 75 gallon fish tank on the other side of the room.

Just my .02

Rich You don't know until you try.
#55320 07/23/04 08:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Where can one find a "quiet" fan?? I installed a very loud one from rat shack on the back of my poorly designed entertainment cabinet. The noise drives me crazy.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#55321 07/23/04 08:47 PM
What size fan are you looking for? You could probably find one here: http://www.quietpc.com.

'Course, you'll need some way to convert the power.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#55322 07/23/04 08:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The one I purchased is about 2.5x2.5 inches, and is 110 volt. I've plugged it in to the back of my H/K, so when I turn it on it comes on.
I was hopeing to find another 110 volt to avoid a power supply.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082