Print Thread
Rate Thread
AX 1's
#5547 09/06/02 04:00 PM
D
double Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of AX1's however cannot find out any info about them. Anyone out there know these speakers. How old is this model? Lokking to play loud, accurately and without harshness. Are they fairly efficient or require gobs of power to drive them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Re: AX 1's
#5548 09/06/02 04:47 PM
R
frequent flier
frequent flier
R
I have a pair of AX3's, which I purchased about 11 years ago. I still listen to them almost everyday after work.

However, I'll be purchasing the Epic Master HT system in a week - can't wait.

#5549 09/07/02 10:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I also have...well had, AX3's...my wife clained the system with them attached for her use in the home. Oh well, I get to build another system! (She is afraid of my high end system, so that is safe!)

Anyway, the AX1 has been around for sometime. I have a brochure from 1990 that list them. SPec's as such:
Sens-87db, Resp 70-22k +2db, Min/Max power 30/100, Imped - 4ohm.

Hope this helps.

#5550 09/11/02 01:08 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Hi double.

The AX-1's are a very special speaker. I have owned a pair of them now for about three years running. Connected to a Nakamichi IA-1Z integrated and used in conjunction with a pair of Axiom's AX-500a subwoofers (the AX-1's actually sit on top of the subs), they serve as my reference speaker for stereo listening as well as fronts for home theater.

The AX-1 is about the same size as the M2ti, another monitor speaker I own. I have compared the two, side-by-side, and can provide the following in reference to your post:

The AX-1's are rated at 4 ohms, and do require more power to get them going. Feed them well, however, and they can fill a medium-sized room with wonderful sound. They do play louder than the M2ti's, with a nice bass weight that gives it a fuller, more rounded sound. (The M2tis sound leaner in comparison) Treble is clean, airy, and articulate, with perhaps a touch of sweetness. The soft domes do not invoke the last level of transparency that Axiom's metal tweets can, but that is of little complaint. The AX-1's are exceptionally balanced, smoooooth in sound, and oh so musical. You can listen to your favorite music for hours. Listen loud if you like. Your ears won't be bleeding. Overall, I prefer the AX-1 over the M2ti's.

In comparison to current Axioms, the AX-1's greatest weakness seems to be its lack of dynamics. You'll definitely notice it with weaker amps, hence the need to feed them lots of clean power. In this regard, they make for a better music speaker than that of a home-theater speaker.

The AX-1's work well with a sub. In fact, the AX-500a is the perfect compliment to the AX-1, but any sub of sufficient calibre will do.

If the price was right, I would not hesitate to snap up a pair AX-1's on the used market, especially in the rosewood finish. Same goes for the AX-500a (black woodgrain is fine, thank you). But finding people willing to part with their Axioms, well that is not an easy task.

Good luck!

-alan

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020