Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Advice on my setup.
#5632 09/11/02 03:16 PM
P
old hand
old hand
P
buy a kit w o cabinet and make a tall boy -saw pics of one they look nice( a larger stood up)
i paid 750 for my kit w cabinet and mega woofers-sound coat options
theres somthing about a stereo sub that seperates it from a single woofer sub its has more-
been using a h k pa2000 amp ( 100 watts a side)- but just grabbed a carver pm -350 off ebay on the advise of a friend , supposed to be a real beast-350 watts per side , should ship this week.
i see svs makes a wood coverd sub now- i could live with that, but the carpeted car trunk tubes no way.
svs does sound good i give them that- kinda like the singer benny mardonis from way back -sounded great but man was he ugly

#5633 09/11/02 05:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was looking at the HSU and VMPS to replace a Velodyne CHT100 (10" sub) but I ended up snagging a Klipsch LF10 1640 watt sub from uBid for about $400. Kept the Velodyne and now have 2 subs in my HT system. Sounds wonderful for HT and music.

I'm thinking of getting an Outlaw ICBM-1 bass management module which gives you stereo sub outs.

Goes well with my M60 clones up front, M22 clones on the side, Mission 77ds bipoles in the back and Axiom made Merak MC6H 2 x 6.5" and Horn tweeter center. Driven by the Toshiba SD9200 DVD-A (also from uBid for about $400) it sounds really good.

My favorite movies for enjoying this system? "Saving Private Ryan" and DreamWorks' "The Time Machine." Although TTM is not faithful to the book, the dynamic range of the music and effects is really astonishing.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#5634 09/12/02 01:07 AM
S
hobbyist
hobbyist
S
I hate to say it, but you guys that think the SVS Subwoofers are "butt ugly" are dead wrong. Check out:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallofame.html

Steve C and I have displayed a pictures that include an SVS product. I have a PCi 25-31. It is a powered subwoofer tuned to 25 Mhz and is 31" tall. I won't even discuss how awesome the performance is. Depending on how visible you want your subwoofer to be (best performance usually occurs tucked away in a corner) may determine how important looks is anyway.

But, of course, you always want to display your Axioms in open view because they are great looking speakers!

#5635 09/12/02 03:05 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry SEC.
No one can tell me my opinion is wrong and my opinion is that the SVS are ugly.

I've seen the wall o fame pictures and that's what sparked my thought. As you can see, Steve Cs setup is all black in colour, if you can call black a colour at all, so the SVS looks like everything else around it, while your SVS is mostly hidden by your tv.
I would not buy SVS because i don't want, and try to avoid the black finish if at all possible (see my SPEAKER and FURNITURE pics on the wall o fame). Note that this will exclude more than just SVS from my selection of speakers. Secondly, i don't have a tv big enough to block its view.

There is no question SVS may be a good sub but i'm a huge fan of speakers that don't have a black finish. Unfortunately most a/v equipment is still stuck in the realm of colour blind creators such that black is often the only choice for anything (newer trends towards aluminum and steel is great but typically found in more expensive models...NOTE to self....i LOVE Ian and Amie's setup!! Looks and function are tops in that one!!).
Unlike some people's idea of home decor, black does NOT go with everything. Hence, I WILL trade off some small performance or i WILL pay another hundred bucks for a higher end item if i can find a piece of equipment that has better aesthetics. But realistically, there is always another piece of equipment that can be construed as 'better' so the SVS is not a godly, impossilbe to beat piece of equipment.

I'm simply saying that SVS keeps popping up on this forum like it's the trend equipment piece of the year (kind of like how Paradigm and Polk seems to show up alot on hometheatreforum).
There are tons of other companies out there...has no one discovered any other (better looking or at least colour option available) gems?
Sunfire was mentioned recently but few people here promote Sunfire subs.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone here have (or ever had) a Monitor Audio subwoofer?

Last edited by chesseroo; 09/12/02 03:11 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#5636 09/12/02 06:28 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
In reply to:

I'm simply saying that SVS keeps popping up on this forum like it's the trend equipment piece of the year (kind of like how Paradigm and Polk seems to show up alot on hometheatreforum).
There are tons of other companies out there...has no one discovered any other (better looking or at least colour option available) gems?

When it comes to subwoofers, the reason that SVS, HSU and to some extent VMPS get mentioned on the various web forums more than any others is because they offer incredible performance at an affordable price. Keep in mind most of the people on these boards are not only tech-savvy but also value-conscious. If you were to walk into a local dealer and tell him you're looking to purchase a subwoofer that can play clean, powerful bass all the way down to 20hz, you'll be shown various options probably starting at around $1500 and going up from there. Some of those subs might be pretty, but when you consider the performance you can get from SVS for $500-600 it's no wonder that certain subs get recommended again and again in the forums. It has nothing to do with fads, and everything to do with price/performance ratios.

As for alternatives more attractive than SVS and HSU, I'd say stick with your cherry-finish Axiom sub if you're happy with the performance. Otherwise your best bet would probably be VMPS, since you could get an unfinished cabinet and finish it yourself to suit your own tastes and decor.

In reply to:

Sunfire was mentioned recently but few people here promote Sunfire subs.

Because they cost much more then the alternatives available over the internet.

#5637 09/12/02 12:13 PM
S
hobbyist
hobbyist
S
Cheesero,

Wow! Black is NOT your color. I have read, I believe, in your previous posts about how much you like the Boston Cherry finish of the Axiom line.
Anyway, while still in the process of building my home theater system and with an impending move on the way, I am sticking with the black theme. I did not have any choice of color with my TV or my other non-speaker components.
I think the Nohr products are butt ugly and they have more color combinations than anyone!
BTW, you have really neat dogs.

Jkohn,

You are correct. As a matter of fact, I was going to build my own sub, but the Tempest driver that I wanted was 3 months back-ordered. Therefore, I bought the best subwoofer I could get delivered for less than $550. If I had a problem with the looks of a cylinder, I would have gotten an HSU VTF.

I still have to decide what mains to get, M22s, M40s, or M60s........

#5638 09/12/02 01:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
JKohn, i'm aware that many people consider the SVS to be a good price:performer but there ARE better subs out there that can be found even if they cost a bit more. To me that extra cost is worth it for the aesthetics alone.

However cheap or best price:performance does NOT have to = ugly as well. How hard would it be to use something other than a black finish?
Even as you say, an unfinished primer white would be better to allow the "tech savvy" home users to do with what they want.
In any event, the word SVS has been used in the past six months almost as much as the word terror in any US news broadcast or presidential speech. I have not heard or read about HSU or VMPS nearly half as much as SVS. I'm just getting tired of hearing nothing about subs except SVS.
Consider it my pet peeve when a single word gets used so many times it actually becomes annoying regardless of its meaning or intent.

#5639 09/12/02 02:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
SEC, you are right. I do like the Boston Cherry finish that Axiom has provided. We were interested in several other finishes by many companies, but as stated previously, we had to fork out some extra cash to get into the quality range where companies offer more than black (Axiom being the rare company that offers finishes right down to their lowest priced speaker).

Black will work for many people, especially those trying to create the darkest area for a HT (not that the Boston Cherry is all that bright a colour). Considering the limited options with tv colours and component colours you may as well match your speakers in black to the rest of the system.
But slowly and surely i'm going to buck that trend and begin searching for any and all components that are anything but black! The biggest challenge as you know will be a widescreen tv. I may have to go the route of LCD or plasma since the flat screens sometimes come in a silver finish.
Ya, the nOhr speakers look like vacuum cleaners and the B&W Nautilus Prestige looks like a big conch shell.

It's true my dogs are cute (and one is black...but with white chest patch and white little beard!). The big one weighs in at 130 lbs but her father was a champion male that weighed 220!!

Get the M60s.

#5640 09/12/02 03:10 PM
local
local
A nice padded slipcover could turn a big black box into an attractive vibrating footstool. :-)

I have a Hsu VTF-2 and it sounds fantastic, but it's never going to be the prettiest thing in the room. I suspect the finish is pickup truck spray-on bedliner material. That's not all bad, though -- blood wipes right off.

#5641 09/12/02 03:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Jason G,
To use the jargon of the internet, LOL at your slipcover/vibrating footstool comment. Maybe there's a cottage industry opportunity here for old hippies: macrame covers for SVS and Hsu subwoofers. Perhaps something in a nice chintz for British customers....

Yep, I've seen that Hsu spray-on truck bedliner finish. Real perty! But they do plumb the depths of deep bass.

And yes, Chesseroo, I hate black as well, ever since the M80ti's and M22ti's arrived in the light maple. The cherry is nice, though. Oh, there are new Sony Wega, Toshiba, and Panasonic direct-view CRT sets in silver. Quite handsome.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617