Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Setup Question
#56284 08/03/04 05:07 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Oh hey Tony, I meant on the M22's and the M50's.

I read the comparison that Ken, Peter and Adam did on these two speakers, I was just trying to get a feel on which of the two most people would consider the better speaker for home theater use, not so much music.

I had called in yesterday to place my order, I had decided on the M22's, but as the darn phone began to ring, I started questioning my decision.

I had the M50's before, and I loved them, but after talking with several of the guys at Axiom, they all told me the M22's would be an upgrade from the M50's and would be far better for home theater due to their better imaging, soundstage and clearer sound.

I'm just wondering if everybody else feels the same way, or if anybody thinks the M50's would be the way to go.

Truth be told, I quess I probably should just shut up and order what I had planned on ordering. It's not like I have anything to lose. If I don't like them or feel the M50's are better, I can simply just send them back and re-order what I had before, which were the M50's.

Anyways, I'm fixin to place my order within the next hour or two. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated from all who reads this post. It doesn't matter to me if you guys own either of these two speakers or not. Just what you know or have heard about them would be helpful to me.

Thanks.

#56285 08/03/04 05:43 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Let's not sweep the subwoofer issue under the rug. If your primary goal is HT, then the M22+sub would probably be better than the M50 by itself. Get a good sub and go with the M22.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#56286 08/03/04 06:20 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Tom:

Oh I am! I'm getting an HSU sub shortly.

#56287 08/03/04 06:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
SutterCane, I have not heard the M50s so I cannot compare. However, I have the M22s with a sub for my HT and music needs. I love it and occasionally annoy my co-workers as I wax poetically about the beauty of Axiom speakers! I do yearn for a pair of M60s, but that is upgradeitis more than need.
If the folks at Axiom steer you towards M22s and a sub, I would follow their advice. I have yet to read someone stating that they followed Axiom's advice and were unhappy with the result.
Perhaps I have missed it, but why are you 'stuck' (from what I see) on getting the M50s? Because you had them before, they are floor standing, have a lower freq response, look better to you, or if you get the M50s you cannot get a sub? If it is a matter of sub or no sub I very much would recommend the M22s with a sub over the M50s alone. The differance for HT will be significant and noticable.
I think you solved your own dilema with "I guess I probably should just shut up and order what I had planned on ordering. It's not like I have anything to lose. If I don't like them or feel the M50's are better, I can simply just send them back and re-order what I had before".

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#56288 08/03/04 06:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
SutterCane,
I hate to be the dark voice here but if you like the sound of the M50's keep in mind that the M22's sound nothing like the M50's. I'm honestly a little lost as to why Axiom would point you in the 22's direction when you have been more then happy with the M50's? There is nothing wrong with either of these speakers but as a guy who has had both at the same time I must say again that these speakers are night and day in terms of the sound they provide.

...........and this is for the folks at Axiom not you SutterCane.

In reply to:

talking with several of the guys at Axiom, they all told me the M22's would be an upgrade from the M50's and would be far better for home theater due to their better imaging, soundstage and clearer sound.

That is complete BS! I have no idea why they would say that but they can list all the fancy speakers terms they want but at the end of the day, I don't buy it. If that is the case then the price of the M50's should be in-line with the M22's as they are a sub-par speaker according to Axiom. I had my M22's running as mains with a SVS Ultra for all of 3 or 4 day's before going back to with the M50's. Anyway, sorry guy's but all the comments against the M50's in here that come from Axiom are really getting to me as I don't buy most of it.

At the end of the day I went with M50's over the M22's as mains. To me they do a better job with HT and music.....The day is coming when I'm going to stop defending these poor M50's and just get some MA's and be done with it.

#56289 08/03/04 06:42 PM
veteran
veteran
Hello SutterCane,

Hope you are well. I agree with everyone here, the M22s with a sub will sound much better than the M50s did. The M22s have a beautiful frequency response on and off axis. I own a pair of M2s that use one of the M22s 5.25" woofers, and the detail is incredible. The M2s are supposed to sound very much like the M22s, I believe you will be happy with the M22s.

The M2s I have blend beautifully with the sub with an 80Hz crossover, and so will the M22s.

Later,

TonyM

#56290 08/03/04 07:03 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Neverhappy:

The biggest reason I got from the people I spoke with at Axiom, was due to the M22's imaging and soundstage. That and they told me the M22's are clearer sounding speakers.

They then went on to tell me that I'd get less dynamics out of the 22's then what I'd get from the M50's, and that the M50's would provide me with a much fuller sound. To tell you the honest truth, they just confused me more then they did help me. lol

I mean, after they shared with me what they did about the M22's, then the M50's, I was like ok, so which would be better for home theater applications. That's my main concern, not so much musically. At that point they just gave me their opinion of course, cause as we all know it's all very subjective. Which was for the three I spoke with, were the M22's.

Oh, someone asked a question about the sub. The answer is no. I'm getting a new sub regardless of which speakers I go with. I'm just simply trying to get the best speakers for what I need/want them for, which in my case is home theater.

In the end, I'll probably stick with my orginal game plan and give the M22's a shot. I've owned nothing but floor standing speakers in the past, and for reasons I don't want to get into, primarly because the list is long. lol I'm just kind of burnt out on them.

Well, ok, I'll list a few. My wife and I move a lot, kind of comes with her job. Floor standing speakers are bigger, heavier, and a headache to have to move, not to mention they're not as easy to position when having to mess around with placement.

I thought going witht he M22's would be a good idea because you tend to have more flexability with bookshelf speakers, plus after all the rave reviews I've be hearing about the M22's, especially when paired with a sub, I figured it would be the best way to go.

Now with all that said, I'm all for the best in preformance. Unfortunately I can't swing the M60's or M80's, so the best I'd be able to do in a floor standing speaker would be the M50's. Yes, I did like the M50, I liked them a lot. However, I'm just trying to get the very best home theater speakers I can for what I have to spend.

#56291 08/03/04 07:21 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Get the M22s. Practically every movie you get these days is mixed with a subwoofer in mind, crossed over at 80 Hz. All the fullness of the M50s is cancelled out by that crossover. The M22s are clearer and more precise in the upper ranges, and really DO throw a more 'holographic' soundstage than the M50s.

M22, M22, M22. M50s? Been there, done that.

#56292 08/03/04 07:43 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
for real suttercane, you seem to me like you are about to 'think' yourself out of getting axioms all together. you are gettin kinda 'girly' over this decision. just make a choice, and go with it. the worst thing that can happen is that you will end up with an awesome set of speakers regardless of which way you go.

your not pickin out bridesmaids dresses here man.. if you liked the 50's, then just do it!! its all gonna be good.. i think you are stressing out over this WAY too much.

EDIT- oh, i just thought of this after i posted.. my dad used to tell me, "quit actin like a virgin on prom night, and make up your damn mind".. he was such a wise ole basterd!!

bigjohn

Last edited by bigjohn; 08/03/04 07:47 PM.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#56293 08/03/04 08:05 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
LOL BigJohn, I like that. lol

Dude believe it or not I'm really not stressing, regardless of how it comes across on here.

However, I have. I'm going with my orginal game plan. I'm going to get the M22's. I'll be honest, I have yet to decide just which way I'm going to go as far as the center channel and surrounds go, but hell I'm not worried about in the least. I'll just make that decision at the time of order.

Knowing me and my damn spending habits, I really can't quite afford to go with the M22's, the VP150, and the QS8's, but ya know what, I probably will anyways. lol

And why, because they're the best, and I am one who is used to having nothing less then the best. lol

A spoiled little $hit I am! lol

What's scrary is it's already starting to rub off on my daughter, and she's only 20 months old. God help me! lol

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters