Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Setup Question
#56264 08/02/04 02:31 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hey Guys:

I need some advice here. I'm fixing to put in my order to replace my speakers and I need some help with making a decision.

Due to my circumstances, I can only afford to do one of two options. This question by the way has to do with my center channel and surround speakers. I got my mains all figured out already.

Ok, again, I can only go with one of these two options. I can either go with:

1.The VP100 and the QS8's

Or

2. The VP150 and the QS4's.

My HT room is 15'11.5" X 10'10.5", ceiling is roughly 7'4".

Which would be the better way to go in your guys opinion. In some ways I'm kind of thinking option 1 cause, well my room isn't wide at all, therefore the extra dispersion isn't needed at all.

Thanks in advance to all who replies.

Sutter Cane

Re: Setup Question
#56265 08/02/04 03:16 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i would say opt. 1 also.. i know the QS8's are worth every penny, and from prior posts, the VP100 can hold its own with the 150. i think ray has the 100, and he says it has plenty of volume and dispersion.

good luck with which ever choice you make!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#56266 08/02/04 04:56 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks BigJohn, I appreciate your responce as well as your advice. I can always count on you to lend a helping hand, nobody else sure has bothered.

Doesn't anybody else have something to contribute? Nobody has any advice or opinion to my question? I really could use all the advice I can get regarding the options I have.

Thanks.

Sutter Cane

#56267 08/02/04 05:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I agree with BigJohn on this. I too would choose the VP100 and the QS8's.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#56268 08/02/04 06:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

.. nobody else sure has bothered.

Sutter, meaning no disrespect, there any number of legitimate reasons why others haven't "bothered" to respond. For example, I have never heard the VP100 or QS4s, and I don't feel qualified to answer your question. I would hate to give out advice based on partial information, and have someone be disappointed by heeding it. If experience with all 4 speakers wouldn't matter to you, it would be helpful if would state that in your question, and ask for opinions based on what we've heard here. You will not lack for opinions from the members of this forum.

I always feel badly when someone asks a question and doesn't get much of a response. But nine times out of ten, it's because we don't have the wherewithal to reasonably answer the question, not because we're ignoring it.

Also, I would ask you to not be so quick to assume the worst of us here. I know that you've heard, over at the SPoT, what a terrible bunch we are. So I can understand you looking for the worst. But, please try to give us the benefit of the doubt, if you can. Doing so will go a long way toward providing the experience you want to have here.

Thank you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#56269 08/02/04 06:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guess I can be guilty on ignoring this one also. I have posted a ton on the VP150 vs the VP100 as I have both and have done side by side tests etc...........If you missed it, there is squat for difference. I have never heard the QS4's so I can't help there. I have had the QS8's but I sold them as they didn't do it for me with music and went with the M3's. Big improvement with music!

If the above are my only 2 choices, option 1 it is.

#56270 08/02/04 06:27 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Sorry, SutterCane. My real job beckons.

My advice is theoretical only. The only one of the speakers in your question that I own or have heard is the QS8.

Based on NeverHappy and Ray3's experiences with the VP100, that is what I am going to buy (am currently using a center from another manufacturer and have other, higher priorities). Although TonyM does have me thinking about two M2's instead, but I digress.

I vote option 1. The QS8's have bigger drivers and a bigger box, which enables them to produce appreciably deeper bass response. This ability may help you measurably relative to not only HT but also multichannel audio. I love mine.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#56271 08/02/04 06:51 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Kurt,

Glad to hear that the situation with your wife has improved...And you get better speakers to boot! I'd call that a double blessing.

As to the speakers, I have the VP150 (primarily for "what-if-itis" as we will move into a bigger place eventually) and since I have the M22's on stand as rear surrounds...(Rent house, look here to have a look see), I cannot comment with any authority on the QS8's other than what I heard in my audition. I was impressed but the M22's do excellent double duty as surrounds and as rears when listening to DTS tracks on DVD-A (no universal player, yet ). As the QS4 and the QS8 are now using the same tweeters, it comes down to your choice...The QS8's will play louder...

Did not see any mention of a sub but since your room is smaller, you might could go with the VP100 and the QS4's and have some green to put toward a sub...Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm"...

Just a thought...

Again, congrats on the wife's surgery and good luck deciding on speakers.

WhatFurrer (both here and on the SPOT)

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#56272 08/02/04 07:21 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
WhatFurrer:

Sorry, forgot your name bud. That's a really nice a/v rack you have man. Nice collection of crosses/crucifixes as well.

The reason why I didn't mention a sub, is because I'm still contemplating which sub I'm going to go with.

I talked with Brent at Axiom about this a few days back, as well with Joe just a little while ago. They both agree that I should go with VP150 and the QS4's instead of the VP100 and the QS8's. They told me since the 4's now share the same tweeter as the 8's, there isn't any difference between the two speakers in terms of sound, quality, and preformance. According to what they told me, the only difference between the two, is that 8's will play a little louder and do a little better with bass responce, which makes since considering it has a bigger driver.

I've been giving this a lot of though. Although I've yet to make a decision, I've been taking what Brent and Joe had to say, as well as the advice I've gotten from others, and at this point in time I'm leaning towards the VP150 and the QS4's, or possibly the VP100 and the QS4's.

I agree with what Brent and Joe had to say though. Your surrounds are no where near as important as your center channel is, well, if your a home theater buff as I am. I may make my living as a musician, but I don't really care to listen to music all that much, primarly because I'm playing all the time.

Taking my room into consideration and the fact that Brent and Joe told me that the 4's would work perfectly in a room up to 24'X18', I really can't see the point in getting the 8's.

Now with all that said though, again I'll point out, I have yet to make a decision. In other words, this could all change before it's all said and done. I plan on placing my order though some time tonight. Assuming the idiot (the idiot being me) can make a freakin decision before the night ends. If not, then it'll be first thing in the morning.

Sutter Cane

#56273 08/02/04 09:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm sure I missed it, SutterCane, but what mains are you going with?

My intuition tells me the QS4s aren't much different from the QS8s now, so that sounds like good advice from the factory. If NeverHappy is correct re the center then... VP100 and QS4s with money left over for sub, TV, DVDs, whatever.

BTW, Tom, that is one happy, handsome, smart lookin' boy! Sure he's yours?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters