AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
3 registered (newf, Serenity_Now, Ken.C), 68 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22895 Topics
404600 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16279
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56849 - 08/07/04 07:06 PM Wobbly Speakers
Dlo Offline
enthusiast

I have a pair of M22s on some 24" StudioTech stands, which are wobbling like mad. If I tap the side of the speaker, it rocks back and forth for a good three seconds. It doesn't look like it's going to fall off or anything, but I'm just worried about all that movement degrading the sound of the music. The stands on their own, with the speakers removed, are pretty rigid--they don't really move at all if I tap them.

One thing I've noticed is that the rubber pads on the bottom of each speaker don't seem to be helping matters. They seem to make the speakers even more wobbly then they are normally. Should I just remove those rubber pads and place the speakers flush against the top of the stand? It might wobble less, but won't it cause more vibration to run through the stand to the floor? Which is better, I guess is what I'm asking--stable with more vibration, or wobbly with less vibration?

#56850 - 08/07/04 07:24 PM Re: Wobbly Speakers
nowave Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
I would personally remove the rubber feet at the bottom of the speaker, and put some adhesive putty between the speaker and the stand. The putty is that stuff you might have used as a kid to put posters on the wall without making holes, etc. You can buy that stuff at any drugstore, usually.

#56851 - 08/07/04 07:35 PM Re: Wobbly Speakers
CosmicVoyager Offline
aficionado

Loc: Asheville, NC
Dlo,

How are you?
Which series of the studiotech stands are you using?
http://www.studiotech.com/jsp/productSelection.jsp?type=stands

Is everything tight? Are they on carpet? The spikes may not be long enough or may need to be adjusted.
You might also consider lead shot or sand, this will make it heavier.

Tom

#56852 - 08/07/04 08:03 PM Re: Wobbly Speakers
Dlo Offline
enthusiast

Tom,

I have the Ultra series stands, filled with sand, but without the spikes. Initially, I did have the spikes inserted, but they didn't go through the carpet far enough, and they rendered the stands a bit unsteady. Funny you should mention the spikes not being long enough--that was just the case with me. Maybe I'll try putting them back in, to see if that helps. Thanks.

#56853 - 08/07/04 08:13 PM Re: Wobbly Speakers
CosmicVoyager Offline
aficionado

Loc: Asheville, NC
I noticed with extra thick carpet and padding that spikes have trouble touching the actual floor. I've seen it a lot.

Studiotech might be able to send you appropriate sized spikes. That would be ideal.

Good luck!

Tom

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.