Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: M22ti vs. M40ti
#5757 09/17/02 04:01 AM
nowave Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Wow -

Thanks for all the help everyone... this forum really gets results!

I've searched around it a bit more as well - and one other factor I might mention is the amp I'm using. It's an older Harmon Kardon (early 80's) that's rated at about 35w I think. I'm pretty sure this is very conservative, because I can take the volume knob almost completely 100% before I hear any clipping... so either my ears (or speakers) aren't very good, or HK purposefully capped the amplification curve so you don't ruin your stuff... which seems doubtful to me, but I can't really explain it.

It seems like I've read that the M22's are more efficient than the M40's... any thoughts on this? Of course, this amp was really inexpensive (but still sounds quite nice), and replacing it with a higher powered one in the future is always an option...

I suppose right now I'm leaning towards the m22 for space/efficiency reasons...

as always - I love the input - and I've learned a lot from reading these forums!

Re: M22ti vs. M40ti
#5758 09/17/02 02:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello,

Yes, I'm aware of Roy Allison's research and your advice about keeping the woofer at unequal distances (or distances that aren't multiples) from adjacent surfaces is good. But there's been a lot of interesting research and testing going on about the interaction of rooms and speakers, mostly from Dr. Floyd Toole and a colleague, Sean Olive, since Roy Allison's papers in the '70s.

While Allison's contributions to early speakers from AR in the '60s were invaluable, I've always found his own products disappointing, including a top-of-the-line model I reviewed under rigorous double-blind conditions at the National Research Council in Ottawa. Roy Allison's conclusions notwithstanding, I'll stand behind the results of double-blind listening tests in which I participated. These involved moving speakers to different locations in an IEC room and different locations for the listeners. At times the influence of the room and the listener's position or the speaker's location was far more significant in rankings of the speakers than different brands of speakers being tested.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617