Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
does anyone have HD direct TV
#57628 08/17/04 10:14 PM
local
OP Offline
local
I just got my Samsung hlp5063 HD TV, I don't know the best way to go for HD, in fact I don't know much about it at all, I NEED the NFL sunday ticket, but other than that are some, all, none, of the programs in HD format. Am I better off getting and HD tuner??? Any thoughts, I am clueless. Perfect example of buying on impulse, then saying "what do I do now" HD antena?? thoughts appreciated. Jon

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
Re: does anyone have HD direct TV
#57629 08/17/04 10:30 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Jon,

I'm generations behind you on this topic, but I'm sure somebody smart will be along.

I understand that DirecTV has an (expensive) Tivo box that will receive and record HD. Also, rival sattelite company Voom claims to have the most HD offerings. Your local cable company may have HD offerings, also.

Finally, AntennaWeb is a good resource, especially for the concept of whether getting HD off-the-air in your location is a realistic proposition.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#57630 08/17/04 10:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I would think the first thing to do is find out which local stations are broadcasting in HD, and what HD services your local cable company offers.

HDTV ON The Air (You'll find other good info at this web site also)

Then, if you already have Directv, examine what they have to offer.
DIRECTV HD

I would think they offer more than you could get off the air.

If you're really HD crazy check out Voom

An alternative might be WOW Cable TV provider if it's offered in your area.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#57631 08/17/04 11:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Agree w/ the previous posts. There are several ways to get into HDTV, you just have to be "prepared" cause it's not straightforward. You'll probably have to do more research than you do w/ the Axiom purchase!

Check the link above to see which Over the Air (OTA) channels you get for free. Do that in combination w/ antennaweb.org to make sure that you're even in the range w/ an antenna. What types of programs do you watch? You'd need to check the respective networks to see if those transmit in HD, not all shows are in HD. AND, not all HD is the same format/ratio/quality/etc.

You can get subscriber HD from DirecTV, VOOM, various cable vendors, etc. Voom seems OK, they have more content, but it's still a small company. Cable vendors can probably get you an HD box for cheap.

What do I have? As of last Thu, I have the "god box", HD DirecTivo. I CANNOT live w/o Tivo, so this was a no brainer for me. Any Tivo user will attest to this. I'd argue that Tivo users are more fanatic than Axiom users. Kinda reminds me of the early Apple Mac days... $$$ yes, but I got a little bit off on sale at Magnolia. There are a handful of HD DirecTV channels, but there's a lot of OTA in the SF Bay Area. The Olympics have been quite good, 6' under was also nice. Anything on HDNet is spectacular (yes, bikini destinations too...), as well as DiscoveryHD. More channels to be added, schedule is TBD. Upcoming is supposedly NBC, Bravo, and Fox.

If you don't watch a lot of the HD channels, it may not be worth it for you. If you want it for sports, you'll definitely appreciate it. I've watched soccer (which I hate) only because HDNet's feed is so clear. Ditto for Formula I racing. However, I can't imagine NOT having DirecTivo for football, or any sports for that matter. How can you forward through all the commercials? Plus, on game day, the ability to flip between 2 games, while pausing as well, is unreal.

BTW, my HD Tivo is connected via DVI to my Panasonic 42" EDTV plasma. HD is still stunning even if it's not a full HD display.

That's my 2 cents...

You can get more info at avsforums.com too.

#57632 08/17/04 11:44 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
jon - welcome. If you have surfaced after diving into the pool, help is on the way

If you want HD, you WILL need a receiver to receive it. Options:
1) DirecTV or Dish network. Both have HD selections along with a gang of other channels. Check both of them out. I believe they each have a package that includes an HD receiver.

2) VOOM. I read not so Customer oriented stories about them at the AVS Forum (a place you should really spend some time for research)

3) Cable company.

4) Antenna.

I've listed these options in the order I would prefer . Have tried them all except VOOM and I love my DirecTv. If there is no HD receiver available with any of the options, you will need to buy one. Figure $300-$700 depending on bells & whistles.

Also, you can simply get a receiver, or you can get a receiver / TIVO combo so you can record some shows.

Also, as a newbie, avoid the dreaded "what if" and get what makes you happy. Upgraditis is a very expensive itch to scratch.

Good luck with it and post questions as you need to. All of us started somewhere with this madness and the folks here have a rich tradition of overachieving at spending other people's money.

#57633 08/18/04 12:09 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Great info guys, I have learned quite abit here, your input is invalueble, that's cool. I can't handle trying to communicate with the 18 yr. old "best buy" mentality. I have to lean to Direct TV as a football fanatic, and certain entertaning expectations people have come to EXPECT from me, the Sunday ticket is the only way one it comes to NFL, they have the exclusive rights - very smart on their behalf. What kind of costs did you encounter with direct TV HD/Tivo packages/promotions?? Sundays here are Bud, grillin, and football, and a "lil" racing mixed in, but football takes priority!!

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
#57634 08/18/04 12:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can check the tivocommunity.com as well.

A few months ago, you could "convince" the DirecTV retention dept to give your the $399 HD package (triple LNB, install, HD receiver) for $99. You had to have at least 2 yrs of service. I had less than that but they gave me it for $199. You have to use the rentention dept and some good convincing w/ the CSR. I gave the argument of cable being available for cheaper, which is true. Don't know if this still works. Recently, I have heard somepeople being able to get a 6 month credit on several premium channels. YMMV.

BTW, you won't find the HD Tivo on sale for much. It's been hard to come by, only now is the stockpile filling back up.

You can also go the SD DirecTivo route, I've seen them as cheap as $49, even thru DirecTV. Or troll ableshopper.com for periodic deals.

#57635 08/18/04 12:46 AM
veteran
veteran
btw, I've read recently that DirecTV's exclusive broadcast rights to NFL Sunday Ticket goes through 2005, and that their satellite exclusive rights (meaning excluding cable) run through 2007. I would expect the cable companies to bid very agressively on Sunday Ticket for post-2005.

Separately, Comcast has reached an agreement with NFL Networks to carry the NFL Network. Football 24x7x365...what a country.

Both are good developments if you are a cable customer (like me) or an NFL owner (not me).

Go Pats!

#57636 08/18/04 12:51 AM
veteran
veteran
Just noticed that I've officially made 'addict'. Keep in mind this is small, 40 post addict status and not major, 300+ post addict...therefore I find it perfectly acceptable to continue to live in a state of denial.

#57637 08/20/04 05:06 AM
veteran
veteran
one slight snag in the Hidef game is Tivo...I think another poster mentioned there are some forth coming options in the DirectTV world, but the boxes will be $$$. Comcast offer a pretty good deal for hidef boxe... i think it is 5 dollars extra than the regular ones.

I actually reverted back to the regular box because i did the tivo thing. UFB. Tivo, REALLY is what everyone claims. It changes the whole television watching paradigm. I do miss ESPNHD,but I'm adjusting back ... the game never ends. you made the right investment... HD will be on just about all main broadcast in the next couple years. Good luck with your decision. But, taake a look at Tivo!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters