Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M22s vs M3s
#58163 08/20/04 05:03 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Yes I am beating the same old dead horse, but I am about to invest in M22s and return my M3s - or not.

I have heard the difference between the M22s and M3s described as slight and as significant. I was wondering what people thought?

Bass should be close and I have a sub so it is not as important. I am asking about the treble and mid range sound.

Big difference or slight? Worth the extra approximately $100?

M22s, QS4s, M2 center, Hsu stf-1.
Re: M22s vs M3s
#58164 08/20/04 05:34 PM
buff
buff
When auditioning speakers I was able to do a side-to-side comparison between the two. The M3's are very good - detailed highs, suprisingly good lower freq - very impressive as stand-alone bookshelf speakers. As good as the M3's are, the M22's are substantially better in a few areas:
1. Soundstage / Imaging
2. Detail in mid-freqs
In these areas the M22's really sparkle - especially for the price. The downside on the M22's is the lower freq response - it is limited, but as you have a sub that won't be an issue.

#58165 08/21/04 04:46 AM
veteran
veteran
donaldkelly - I own M22's and just received a pair of M3's today. I set the M3's up on my screen porch as a zone 2 speaker.

Although I didn't do any serious comparisons between the two, I have lived with the M22's for awhile and noticed the difference with the M3's right away - better bass response (when comparing without a sub), and an overall warmer feeling.

I spent several hours today with the M3's playing some background music while I did some reading. My wife and I sat on the porch talking about the day and the sound from the M3's was really soothing, without being muddy sounding (of course you probably know this from your own experience).

The M22's, as has been said so many times before, are more forward sounding, and because of that they sort of command your attention. Great when you are trying to pay close attention to the music or a movie. But don't get me wrong, they still sound good for background music but already I think I prefer the M3's for that purpose.

Btw, I have a sub - an Outlaw LFM-1 - which integrates extremely well with my M22's so there is nothing missing from the bottom end when I listen to them.

Hope this provides a slightly different slant on the comparison between the two speakers. Probably the best way to choose is to think hard about your listening habits - do you like to do a lot of active listening (go for the M22's), or do you like to be involved in other things while the music is playing (keep the M3's).

For HT I bet the M22's probably would beat the M3's hands down. Maybe I'll swap them around just to see.

#58166 08/22/04 08:02 AM
regular
regular
Hello guys!
I am new to this forum and the same decision for me - M3 or M22... All i want want is a decent stereo speakers to get new music expierence. I listen to different music, mostly jazz and rock (quess that my bad-quality-electronic-music mp3's collection doesn't count) and want to start hear things i neverd heard before you all are talking here about . 400$ is a lot for me to spend so M3's look's more affordable, but are they good enough?

Thanks,
Waldis
p.s. Excuse me for my english, it's not my native language.

#58167 08/22/04 08:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Waldis

I don't think you can do better for 275 than get a pair of M3s. They are wonderful speakers.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#58168 08/22/04 05:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Donald,

What, you don't believe me? I've already sent you at least two private emails describing in detail exactly what Pablo just told you (thank-you, Pablo). Here, I'll say it again: The M22ti's deliver a more transparent and 3-dimensional soundstage than do the M3ti's, greater midrange and upper-octave detail and clarity (the latter is particularly noticeable on A/B switching with the M3ti's on large choral and orchestral works, and vocals) and somewhat greater power handling and peak output capabilities.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#58169 08/22/04 07:30 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Alan

I do trust you and am very impressed that you are not just better than that pimply guy at Best Buy who also gives advice, but in fact are at the other end of the spectrum - a true expert who is available to advise and is honest enough to say that one of of his employer's products is not as good as another one is.

The problem I have is I have not heard the M22s and no one in my area has them so I could hear them (as far as I know).

It is no secret that some people think the M22s are a bit harsh, so I wanted second opinions. In addition, speaker quality can be subjective. Sure the M22s sound qualitatively different to you and you have spelled this out to me three times now (thank you). But, other people apparently hear other things. One professional reveiwer said the M22s sound better - but ONLY in direct comparison (if I am remembering the review correctly - I think it is one that is linked from the Axiom website).

So, like a blind man trying to choose a good painting for his living room (awk - my analogies are making even me wince), I am unable to hear these speakers so I am asking a lot of questions. Probably too many, but I feel more comfortable doing this.

Yes it is only a $25 charge to send them back if I don't want them after I get them, but I would rather not waste the money and time.

I do appreciate your emails - and ponder them like a neophyte pondering the sayings of a wise man - since there is so much knowledge and experience behind those words.

I tend to think what you are saying about the quality of the M22s is accurate and those who think it is harsh or not that different from the M3 just don't like sharp clear sound or haven't taken the time you and others who own the M22 have to listen. More statements like Pablo's will just reassure me in my "high stakes" gamble.

Okay - I am just obsessing, I admit it.

By the way, there is a nasty rumor that you get a $500 commission on each pair of M22s you sell. I don't believe it, though.

M22s, QS4s, M2 center, Hsu stf-1.
#58170 08/22/04 11:21 PM
regular
regular
Are these differences noticable by untrained-ear or you must be a hardcore expert to notice? Do you need to upgrade to 10x more expensive amplifier or what?

Waldis

#58171 08/23/04 02:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"By the way, there is a nasty rumor that you get a $500 commission on each pair of M22s you sell. I don't believe it, though."

Hahaha, that's pretty funny. M22s only cost $400. A $500 commission would put Axiom in the hole $100 - not counting overhead, materials, etc...
I think if you allow someone over to your house to audition your Axioms, and they end up buying some, you get $20. Big deal - the auditioner will likely consume more than $20 worth of your beer.

#58172 08/24/04 10:13 PM
regular
regular
If here's no one to stop me i am going to order M3's right now. Ok. i'll wait until evening, just enough time for you guys to post your comments..

Waldis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020