axiom ax-1,5 speakers
#58249 08/21/04 04:59 PM
L
LRA Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
L
I currently have 4 axiom 1.5 bookshelf speakers (2 front/2 rear) ,1 axiom center speaker and a PSB subwoofer (12" ~ 500$) hooked to a pioneer vsx-d606s av-receiver. It's not that I feel that my system is really outdated but I was wondering if the newer generations of speakers are way better then mine?

I have never heard the Mt3ti/mt22ti or the tower models.
The stores near me doesnt carry Axiom speakers and when they do, they only have the cheapest ones.

Would it be better to replace my rear speakers with the QS surround speakers? Would it also make a big difference.

Any ideas or suggestions?

my receiver doesnt support DTS but it supports dolby digital 5.1. I may upgrade my receiver.

note: I have a small-medium room

Re: axiom ax-1,5 speakers
#58250 08/21/04 05:08 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think it is fair to say that the new generation speakers may be slightly better in sound, but i would be reluctant to say "way better".. it goes to figure, with technology advancing like it has, and building materials, and the different products used to make the woofer cones, that the newer lines are more efficeint and more technology sound. but never hearing the 1.5's, i cant say how much better they may be, if at all?

i will say that the QS series are awesome sounding surrounds. they have great envelopement capabilities with movies, and can get plenty loud when listening to sacd's or dvd-a's.

i would suggest for you to upgrade to a receiver with the DTS. to me, that is the BEST sounding format for movies. not to mention, an updated receiver will probably give you much more options with set-up, DSP's, sound adjustment, and crossover settings.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#58251 08/21/04 05:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome LucRaymond. I've never heard you're older speakers so I can't say if the newer models would be a significant improvement. I suspect they would, but "improvement" is in the ear of the beholder. Hopefully, Alan, Axioms resident expert, will pop in here. He would know more about the older speakers and might be able to offer a cogent opinion.

I do, however, own QS8s, and can't imagine you would not be pleased, and impressed with the magnificent job the QS series speakers do as surrounds.

Just for a giggle, you can find some info on your speakers here. Just click on the "Specs" link on this page.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#58252 08/21/04 06:10 PM
L
LRA Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
L
<
there is a major issue related to DTS! I never saw a french DTS track for our current DVD zone. That's one of the reason I didnt switch to a dts receiver yet. The good news (if any) is that my girlfriend wants to learn english and she is willing to watch some dvd in english.

<
So far, I noticed with my receiver that it's better to turn the DSP off when listening to a 5.1 audio source. I'm only using DSP effects on 2 channels audio source so that my rear speakers can be used. I also turn off dolby on 2 channels audio source (like CD,TV)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044