Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
STOP!!! what DON't you like about your receiver??
#58310 08/22/04 08:34 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Now this must be a new way to evaluate equipment.

what receiver do you have and do you dislike anything about it?

I have a Sony STR- DE 845

I like it. Hell i bought it as a floor model for only $250 saving a couple $$

it is dieing though.

I do not like (or understand) its EQ and crossover settings. it isn't real clear in the manual.

It has enough jusice at 100 wats per

the surround tends to be good, but the CENTER channel alway is a hassel to hear and constantly needs adjusting..either too loud or too quiet.

no video conversion...i found strange since it had all the video ports.. i assumed it did that even befor video conversion was BIG and i had no knowledge of video conversion...weird

I do not like the fact A/B speaker changing is mechanical and not on the remote...thats dumb

getting around the reciever with the remote is a little cumversome with the tiny tertiary button set inside the remote.

for $250 i have been more than pleased as it was my first 5.1 receiver. Still little things get to me about and some more than others.

Alas i will change to a different brand and class reciever next, so i compell others to ADMIT things they find bother them about their reciever.

cmon...its NOT perfect...or is it? LOL

dave

"There is one thing that I know for sure, and that is that I know nothing." ...Socrates
Re: STOP!!! what DON't you like about your receiver??
#58311 08/22/04 11:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have an Integra DTR 7.4. It doesn't up convert all video sources to component video. I may need a firmware upgrade. I talked to people that own these and they say that they don't have any problems.

Other than that, I love my receiver. It kicks ass. I'm looking at getting a DVDO unit to perform all of the video tasks.

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#58312 08/23/04 12:40 PM
devotee
devotee
1. Unable to rename Input sources
2. Remote is hard to program

that's about it

-D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
Daphoid
#58313 08/23/04 04:00 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
what reciever is it?

"There is one thing that I know for sure, and that is that I know nothing." ...Socrates
#58314 08/23/04 04:35 PM
devotee
devotee
Onkyo TX-SR 800

1. No video upconversion to component
2. stereo mode with subwoofer active sounds like crap...need to go to "pure mode" to get good sound, but this cuts sub out of the loop.

Otherwise, I love my receiver, even though I use a separate power amp.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
Re: STOP!!! what DON't you like about your receiv
#58315 08/23/04 04:38 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Harman/Kardon 525

1. I hate the remote. Hate, hate, hate.
2. It doesn't do video upconversion.
3. I'd like a little more flexibility in settings.

Other than that, it's great!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#58316 08/23/04 04:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think we covered this topic once before in this thread. There may be some good additional information included in that thread, though...

But to reiterate my post:

I have an older Sony DB940 HT receiver. There are a few things that really irritate me about this receiver.

One: In the speaker setup, the distances from the prime listening locations are set up in full feet...no feet and inches, no point feet, nada, one foot, two foot, red foot, blue foot...and if memory serves me right, there is only one setting for the fronts and one single setting for the rears...You have to take the average of the distances between left and right before entering into the settings...

Two: Most irritatingly of all, the levels for the fronts (after you determine what the volume setting will be your "reference" setting), do not have separate settings for LF & RF...there is a balance slider from left to right. It is setup the same way for the rears.

And Three: The level settings are in full DB...no percentages or decimal points of DB's...

I bought this "thing" a number of years ago before I "knew any better" (5.1 only, no DPx anything, etc)...unfortunately now I have to live with it...

Although I am secretly saving to hopefully replace it with either the Denon 3803 or 3805...or something comparable...

I'll move this dinosaur into the bedroom or game room for my son and his cronies...

Other than the above irritations, this relic with the Axiom's (M60's, VP150 & M22's) and my SVS 20-39 PC+ sound bloody awesome!

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
the sonys
#58317 08/23/04 07:31 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
i agree it has some good sound

i wonder why sony really takse such a hit.

I was seriously looking at the new 3000 model...for $700 ish..it looks pretty darn good

but i have annoyances as well

still, I have enjoyed many surround movies and rocking music.

just the board is going out i think

and it is time for achange to a more upscale brand...still the sonys dont suck...but a lot of people dis them

dave

Re: the sonys
#58318 08/23/04 07:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I am not dissing the Sony...It has more than rocked my world for a number of years and continues to do so...

My observations are my impressions of items that could / should be improved upon...

I am not sure if any of the newer Sony's have addressed these "gripes" as I have been looking elsewhere when it comes to receivers.

One item that I DO like is the ability to set separate crossovers for the individual groups of speakers (fronts, center, rears)...the only "gripe" here is that the crossover settings do not include the well noted "preferred" 80 Hz crossover...60 or 90...or 120, 150, 180 or 200.

That is a point off the Denon's (or so I've heard / read).

Good luck in your search.

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#58319 08/24/04 04:01 AM
veteran
veteran
I have the Yamaha 1400. I don't like the fact that it is perfect, and it knows it. Like a pretty blond.

I am going down stairs right now to kneel before it and pay homage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters