Print Thread
Rate Thread
Minor setup questions
#5846 09/20/02 03:12 PM
Semi_On Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Just got my Epic 80 system yesterday and I'm quite pleased with the sound. They're a bit bright, but I was able to compensate for that. My main question is regarding the subwoofer setup. My receiver (which will be replaced by a Denon 4802 in the not so distant future) has line out for all six speakers. I picked up a very long cable for the subwoofer only to notice the sub has line ins for both left and right. Am I missing anything by running the sub line out from my receiver to only one input of the line in or should I get another cable and run the two front line outs to the line ins on the sub?

Also, I'm just curious where you guys have your QS8's positioned relative to your sitting area. Lastly, many receivers have settings for each speaker that are simplified as "small" and "large" to determine how much power to send to the speaker. Which have you set your QS8's to? Thanks for the tips.

Regards,
Semi

Re: Minor setup questions
#5847 09/20/02 05:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Semi,
your questions have already been answered within these forums several times over. You may want to try doing some searches for sub setup and QSx positioning or other related words.
In general:
You need a Y connector for your RCA cable from your receiver to the 2 RCA plugins on the subwoofer. This is pretty cheap at any electronics store.

Two ways to setup your sub cross.
First method: Set all your speakers to "small" and turn up the sub cross all the way it can go.
Second method: Setup all your speakers to small except your main speakers, leave them as "large". Then turn your sub cross to 80Hz and listen to music. Turn down the subwoofer cross until you hear a good integration of sound between the sub and your main speakers. Considering you have the M80s, this crossover level might be quite low. I have the M60s and an EP350 with my cross set around 50Hz.
Test both methods and use what you prefer as the best sound.

Lastly, to clarify, the 'small' and 'large' settings of the speakers as set in your receiver does not determine power supplied. It determines whether the receiver's internal crossover circuitry will be used or whether the speaker will be allowed to utilize its entire range of sound below 80Hz. If you set the speakers to small, the receiver cross is usually around 80Hz and is only used if you have a subwoofer which typically takes up the duties below 80Hz.
However as i mentioned, try both methods above to find out which sound you like best and go with that. Play with it! Have fun!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#5848 09/20/02 05:13 PM
buff
buff
Hi Semion, we have same questions when I first setup my HT and thanks to this forum and I was able to setup my HT properly. So I am just returning the favor...I want to share it to you...

First start on this link (c/o chessero)--> http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/SoundAndVision/Article01/Features/SetupSpeakers0501/SetupSpeakers0501p01.html

Next is to answer some of your question:

for surround speaker, the standard height must be 2 to 3 feet above from your listening position, but like all the people who uses QSx series as surround in this forum, it doesn;t matter where you place the surround due to the quadpolar design of the speaker.

For Receiver speaker settings on, if you have a Sub, set all your speakers to small (front, center, surround). So that any sounds below 80-90Hz (THX i believe 80Hz) will go to your Sub.

Sub connection: Use your receiver Sub pre-out (RCA connection) and connect it to your Sub Low level RCA input (either Left or Right doesn;t matter). You only need the two channel on your sub if you have 2 subs (L & R), and using a Y-cable.

Hope I was able to help you.

#5849 09/20/02 05:29 PM
buff
buff
Hi Cheesero, I haven't tried the second option that you had mentioned, is there any difference with option #1 ?

Thanks

#5850 09/20/02 08:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Chess,

Do your surrounds and center channel sound OK with your sub set at 50hz and are those speakers also set to large on your receiver? If set to small, I was just wondering if that setting would create a "hole" in the bass sound with your center and surround speakers. I don't currently own the Axiom surrounds or the center yet so that's why I was curious. With my setup up now, it sounds better to keep the M60's set to small (with sub crossover turned all the way up) to mesh well with the other speakers. Oh, I don't own an Axiom sub either...it's just a little Polk PSW150 which isn't very satisfying (no bass when moved out of the corner), but it suits me OK for now.

Thanks!
Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
#5851 09/24/02 03:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry for the tardy reply, i was away.

Yes, there is a very noticeable difference in sound between method one and two.
I prefer to use my sub only for lower end oomph. I don't like the sound of the sub for music compared to the tighter bass of the M60s which is why i leave my M60s set to 'large' and then use the sub crossover control instead of the receiver cross to blend the M60s with the sub at the lower frequencies. I found in my listening room that a cross of 50Hz works really well in integrating my M60s with the EP350 sub. If i set the cross too much higher, the lower end sound begins to become 'muddy' as the M60 sound waves interfere too much with the subwoofer sound waves causing sonic nastyness.
Again, try both methods using music or soundtracks as your reference and see what sounds best to you.

#5852 09/24/02 03:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The only hole i get is with the surrounds (QS8s) and the gap is small. The centre channel is unaffected.
I tested it with a tone range and sound meter to be sure.

However, i don't expect my QS8s to be putting out bass notes and extremely rarely would you have a bass note that is solely directed to your surround channels without ANY front sound. Second to that, the odds of getting a single, surround only directed note in that narrow Hz gap in which you could even notice a 'lack' of sound is highly improbable.
I can turn up the cross to as high as 60Hz before the muddyness really kicks in. I had the cross at 55Hz for quite some time and was tinkering just recently a bit lower.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters