Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
I don't know why I'm bothering
#58594 08/27/04 07:32 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hey MikeB/MtnBkr,

You keep mentioning how there are good reviews over at audioreview and that they're a paying sponsor, as if this somehow sets them apart.

Well, Axiom is a paying sponsor and also has lots of good reviews there. In fact, Axiom is even in the showcase, and when I went over there just a few minutes ago, they had the top banner on the page. And on audioreview's list of hot picks, Axiom has 4 speakers on the list for mains, including the #1 (M80) and #3 (M60) spots. Streem is nowhere on the list. Let's also compare #s. Axiom has 253 reviews, compared to Streems 28 (5 of which are verbatim from the Streem review page). So if you're trying to say that audioreview is proof of Streem's legitimacy, then surely Axiom is far better in that regard.

But the over-riding issue is that the vast majority of Streem reviews mention that their previous speakers were in the low-end range - aka JBL, Pioneer, Sony, Bose - the type of stuff you see in Best Buy and Circuit City. Now I'm sure these do compare favorably to those speakers (heck one of the customer reviews even goes out and says "I would compare these to the high-end speakers of stores like Best Buy or Circuit City") but it really doesn't take much to compare well with those kind of speakers.

Sure, you might save $400 over Axiom by going with Streem, and maybe if you're not that critical of a listener then it's a good move, but until you hear both Axioms (which several people have offered to arrange) and Streems, it doesn't seem wise to basically proclaim Streems as value of the year.

But then you're a troll, so what does it matter?

Re: LOL!!
#58595 08/27/04 07:34 AM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Quote: "You ask us what we think of a shady company, we tell you, and you go apeshit when we don't agree with all of EIGHT user reviews(a few probably written by the same person)."

That's not what I asked. Check the record.

Re: I don't know why I'm bothering
#58596 08/27/04 07:52 AM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
1) I never knocked Axiom. Neither its product nor the company.

2) Just because Streem doesn't have a lot of reviews doesn't mean it sucks.

3) Only one reviewer compared Streem to high end stuff at Circuit City. Others said it compared quite favorably to (or bested) Paradigm's lower end stuff and Infinity. Reviews are bound to vary in that respect. Many didn't compare it to other brands at all. And the lowest score they got for sound quality was 4 out of 5 stars. Many, if not most, gave them 5 out of 5. How many low-end JBL, Sony or Bose reviews have you read with 5 out of 5 stars? I haven't found any except perhaps a couple of misfits. I read the review for a Bose center channel the other day that consistently trashed its quality. It averaged 2-3 stars at best. So there are people out there who know what good sound is.

#58597 08/27/04 08:06 AM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Quote: "It doesn't seem wise to basically proclaim Streems as value of the year."

That seems to have ticked a few people off. It shouldn't when you keep in mind that value decreases exponentially with price. Often with higher end speakers, you pay a LOT more for an ever decreasing improvement in sound quality.

Since I haven't heard either, I'm going strictly by reviews. HONEST reviews, that is. As I said, I have yet to read a review that trashes Streem's sound quality besides NeverHappy, and he's just exposed himself as a fraud. So I'm sticking to that assessment. I don't really expect or need anyone else on this board to like it. I didn't come here to placate other people's ego's. This is my research, pure and simple.

The question is, "Do Axiom's sound 3-4 times better than Streem's as their prices would demand?" At this point I seriously doubt it.

#58598 08/27/04 08:07 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

1) I never knocked Axiom. Neither its product nor the company.

2) Just because Streem doesn't have a lot of reviews doesn't mean it sucks.

1) I never said you did.

2) You are right, but when given the choice between a speaker company A which has tons of positive reviews (both customer and professional), a readily available phone number and physical address, and speaker company B, which has only a few (albeit positive) reviews and no available phone number or address, can you see why most of us default to speaker company A?

3) I concede the possibility that Streems do compare well with or best JBL, Sony and Bose offerings (I would also add lnfinity's lower end into that category). As for the 4 and 5 of 5 for sound, well, if they're coming from the low end and meet something that sounds better, then yes, they're going to be impressed with the sound.

What I'd really like to see (and I'm almost tempted to try out the 30 day return feature myself) is a comparison between Streem and gear that's clearly above the mass market group. Maybe a Streem/Axiom shootout in the future.

#58599 08/27/04 08:19 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

The question is, "Do Axiom's sound 3-4 times better than Streem's as their prices would demand?" At this point I seriously doubt it.

Another question could be "Do Streems compare at a level close enough to Axioms to warrant their purchase?" Whether or not Axioms reflect an exact increase in performance according to increase in price is incidental.

Lets say that there's a certain level of performance that you desire/need in a speaker. Let's say that Speaker A meets or exceeds that level. Now lets say that you come across a Speaker B that is merely 1/3rd the price of Speaker A, but upon listening to it just doesn't reach that necessary level of performance. Now if we were somehow able to objectively measure the difference in performance and find that Speaker A is in fact only twice as good as Speaker B and not 3 times, it still doesn't matter because Speaker B doesn't reach the level of performance you need.

Now if Speaker B does meet that level of performance, then we have a really great value. Who knows, maybe Streem is that value, but I'm a bit skeptical.

#58600 08/27/04 01:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
lol! Oh man this is great stuff. For a guy who claims to know nothing about Streem, DAM! you spend a lot of time trying to sell people on them.

I will do the right thing here and stop posting in this thread...............let it and this fool......fade away.

That is what you call PRICELESS!

#58601 08/27/04 02:09 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
So, um, why haven't you bought these gifts from God already?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
For MarkB (long)
#58602 08/27/04 05:29 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

MarkB:Streem's get rave reviews on their site. So do Axiom's. Has anyone here compared the two manufacturers? If so, please give me the lowdown.

In reply to:

BBIBH:One thing that might help would be to audition Axioms (check the thread in general for someone in your area

Good advice!

In reply to:

MarkB:I'd rather not audition someone else's Axioms unless I know that person.

Rejected!

In reply to:

tleigh:I think the reviews that the Axioms have should be able to convince anyone.
Either way, I hope you will be happy with whatever you decide on.

In reply to:

BBIBH:You make valid points, and are using good judgement.

In reply to:

littleb:I would have to say that the Streem 808's, from the description alone, seem to be a lot of speaker for $500 a pair. Mark, before you buy I would suggest that you look into how easy it would be to return these monsters if you don't like them. Axiom's don't cost a bundle to return.

In reply to:

tomtuttle:First, all of the reviews I could find on Streem were by consumers, not by any trade journals or professional reviewers. Now, a satisfied customer base can be very compelling, but it would be nice to have SOME impartial validation...But the question you should be asking is, how do I figure out what is the best speaker for me for the amount of money I'm willing to spend? I just don't have enough data about Streem to feel comfortable, and the complete lack of company information on their website doesn't make me feel good either. I mean, there isn't even a phone number there!

In reply to:

MarkB:I don't know if I can trust the reviews on Audioreview. If all you ever owned were a cheap pair of Sony's or JBL's, just about anything will sound good to you...I don't just want good sound. I want GREAT sound...Infinity Beta-50's have gotten rave reviews on Audioreview, but when I listened to them in a local chain store, they failed to shine...Some of the reviewers on Audioreview are knowledgeable and state that Streem offers almost unheard of "bang for the buck" in the often over-priced speaker world. I'm just looking for independent confirmation of that fact before I give them a shot.

In reply to:

md55:My guess is that you may get pretty good speakers for a pretty good price, but not great speakers for a really good price.

In reply to:

MarkB:That's exactly my worry.

In reply to:

ringmir:I would recommend auditioning the axioms, even if it is a little strange.

More good advice!

In reply to:

HAY:Hey MarkB, I posted a similar question about the same Streem speakers here a couple months ago for a friend who was interested in them.

Long story short, we tried to get a hold of someone from Streem to no avail and couldn't get enough info on them...Good luck in your search and post either way you decide. Who knows, you could be one of the first to find the next great buy (streem) as we all were with axioms to our friends.

In reply to:

MarkB:O.K.! O.K.! If you live in the Cincinnati area, I'll listen to your damn speakers!!

In reply to:

mhorgel:I live in Louisville, only 90 miles or so down the road, and you can come and listen to my speakers.

An offer that you can't refuse!

In reply to:

MarkB:(silence)

In reply to:

Wid:It seems to me you are looking for someone here to legitimize your decision to buy the Streem speakers.

A valid observation, since you rejected all our help.

In reply to:

MarkB:Don't worry. They're real. Read these reviews of their HT-808 system by satisfied customers on Audioreview.com...When some people find out they may not have gotten the "deal of the century" they get a little edgy. It's called "buyer's remorse." Deal with it...I don't seek, nor need, anyone's validation. I'm perfectly capable of making up my own mind. I was only seeking additional information, and I knew some people around here would not be capable of impartiality.

So now you trust the Audioreview reviews?

In reply to:

Wid:Nobody is saying the Sreem might not be a good deal, after all $600 for 5 speakers.Remmember if it sounds to go to be true,well you know the rest of that story.

In reply to:

neverhappy:A buddy of mine has a set of RW-500's that he bought for home use. After 2 weeks they ended up out at his cottage. That should tell you a little something right there. They are an entry level speaker with questionable customer support and average build quality.

Finally! What you asked for! Someone with some first hand knowledge! He doesn't even own Axioms!

In reply to:

MarkB:Without having first heard them you can't comment on what level the Streem's are on. Entry level? Not from what I've read so far. JBL RW-500's can't hang with these...(LONG sales pitch for streem omitted)

After reading this post, all I could think is that you were kidnapped and brainwashed by the Streem manufacturers.

In reply to:

wid:Most people here just don't want to see you get ripped off.The point of this whole thread was to find someone that has heard the Streem speakers and you have,Neverhappy has and you didn't read what he actually said.

Another valid observation.

In reply to:

MarkB:Some of the FS-808 reviews on Audioreview also appear of Streem's "customer reviews" page VERBATIM...I think you smelled it out. Nice going, dog...Streem was an illusion built on that obsession which in turn was built on my frustration. That dream is dead now. Sniff. :-( That's the bad news.

Now you DON'T trust the audioreview reviews.

In reply to:

MtkBkr:I got a link in my email this morn from my friend (an Axiom owner) about this Streem thread...this is Axiom's message board most assuredly staffed by Axiom's friendly staff...this NeverHappy person is out and out lying...in appreciation for an honest, unbiased review on AudioReview.com they have offered select customers, including me, a bonus gift...You wanted an opinion from someone that has heard both Axiom and Streem speakers so here I am.

What Axiom speakers did you listen to, MtnBkr? Who contacted you? Why does Streem have to pay their customers to post favorable reviews? Most of all, MarkB, why do you trust this newcomer when several established members of this board have tried to help you?

In reply to:

MarkB:I seriously doubt "MtnBkr" is just a Streem shill who was waiting around here for me to find him. I know I'm no shill. That means the reviews on Audioreview must be correct.

Huh? Because one newbie shows up conveniently out of the blue to give a good streem review that validates the audioreview.com reviews you said you didn't believe before? This makes no sense.

Now you trust the Audioreview reviews again.

In reply to:

MarkB:Streem is a paying sponsor on Audioreview's Web site. That means Audioreview must have some degree of confidence in the company.

Axiom is also a sponsor, and they have 20 times the number of reviews that Streems have.

In reply to:

MarkB:Thanks to "MtnBkr" for the honest advice in a sea of flame warriors.

Far from being a sea of flame warriors, we offered you kind suggestions, and even the hospitality of our homes for you to listen to our speakers. You asked for help, it was given, and you were argumentative and contrary at every turn.
This did not degrade to flaming until MtnBkr called neverhappy a liar. It is quite impolite to call an established member of a message board a liar with your first post.

In reply to:

MarkB:For all the Axiom owners who turned this into a flame war, get a life. You failed to represent your brand well.

Read the above quotes again...we were helpful, polite, and hospitable to you until you rejected every helpful idea we gave you.

In reply to:

MarkB:Thanks again to "MtnBkr." I appreciate the help. Please register on Audioreview to post your FULL review. There are only a small number of Streem reviews right now, so I didn't know if I could trust them.

So, despite the 20 to 1 review advantage of Axiom over Streem, the fact that half the Streem reviews were taken verbatum from their website, despite the fact that the only person who responded to you who heard both Streem and Axiom said the Streems were mediocre (MtnBkr never said he heard Axioms), you are going to take the word of one anonymous newbie over all of ours. Pardon us for wondering what you are thinking.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
Re: For MarkB (long)
#58603 08/27/04 06:09 PM
local
local
Hmmm....THAT'll shut him up...for a little while.

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters