Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Build Quality etc. Shipping questions also.
#5985 09/26/02 01:37 AM
Haoleb Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OK, well this is my first post. And i know that its a little on the..uh.... personal side for Axiom. but I am thinking of buying a pair of the M80TI speakers, and i was wondering about the build quality. Whats the thickness of the panels and What would i find as far as internal bracing if i looked inside?.. hopefully not the scrap peiecs of wood just barely glued into the corner as in my current speakers. And if Amie is reading this, i know i emailed a while back asking if you offered the free shipping to Hawaii also, and i guess you do. but i just wanted to double check because. lol.... i imagine it would be like 300 bucks to ship.

Thanks

Re: Build Quality etc. Shipping questions also.
#5986 09/26/02 02:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The speakers are 3/4" MDF.
I can't remember about the internals.
Shipping to Hawaii has happened before. Another poster on the forums lives there as well. If you have any "Hawaii" based questions, send a private message to Randyman.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#5987 09/26/02 03:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Haoleb,

I posted this answer elsewhere to explain Axiom's approach to damping internal vibration. Standing waves, which produce regions of exaggerated bass frequencies and areas of cancellation are generated in any square or rectangular room--or inside a speaker enclosure. The frequencies at which standing waves occur are dictated by the specific dimensions of a given room or the interior dimensions of rectangular or square speaker cabinets.

In the same manner, the back waves from the woofers in an enclosure of symmetrical dimensions will produce standing waves inside the speaker cabinet. These may cause various parts of the wooden enclosure to resonate or vibrate at specific frequencies. If they are sufficiently severe, these internal standing waves will introduce colorations to the reproduced sound, making the speaker less accurate and less neutral.

Some designers use elaborate internal bracing between the cabinet walls to damp the vibrations set up by standing waves. Axiom's approach is to make the enclosure of asymmetrical dimensions to prevent standing waves from occurring, hence our "Anti-Standing-Wave" cabinet design. And the cabinets are extremely rigid as well.

A similar approach is often taken in the interior design of recording studios--uneven walls and asymmetrical dimensions prevent standing waves from occurring.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#5988 09/26/02 03:41 PM
Haoleb Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks, That defiently does make sense. I just wish other company's had a place like this!

#5989 12/18/03 02:36 AM
Haoleb Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ahh the memories.. my first post. lol.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 664 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup