Re: OT-FOOTBALL
#59967 09/07/04 07:20 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
with a guy like brett favre running the ship, how can you not like the packers!!

there franchise is what pro sports should be all about. they have loyalty to their community, their players, and their fans. and likewise, the fans and players have loyalty to the team. there just seems to be a connection with that team that no other team in pro sports has. it is a business, but they make it seem more like a family.

my wife and i are trying to get tickets to see the packers play the texans in houston later this year. i have never got to see brett play, and this might be my last chance. who knows if he will retire or not, but i dont want to take that chance. the NFL, and sports in general will lose one of its greatest athletes when he retires. they broke the mold after he was made, and there will NEVER be another like him.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#59968 09/07/04 07:27 PM
local
local
Gotta like Favre, but the Pack not a chance, at least not until they win the division and the Vikes are sent home. My most endearing dog trick is to ask my dog "what would you rather be a Packer fan or dead". She drops like a rock. Annoys the hell our of my Pack-fan father-in-law. Go Vikes!

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
#59969 09/07/04 07:39 PM
S
veteran
veteran
S
BigJohn,

The difference with the Packers is that they are community owned. The fans are stockholders. Only team in the NFL I believe and maybe the only in professional sports. I live in Northeast Indiana, but there is a huge Packer fan base.

I am a Colts and Bears fan, but you are right. How can you dislike the Packers with Brett Favre? A friend of mine moved down from Janesville, WI. Works for GM. Once in a while he scores tickets to a game. Nothing like a game at Lambeau. I only root against them when they play the Bears or Colts.

#59970 09/07/04 09:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Me too, BigJohn. Though I loathe their colors (barf green, and baby poop yellow - with apologies for any offense to Packer's fans), I love that the team is owned by this small community, and everybody heartily supports the team and it's players. It sure beats the "big markets get to win all the time" structure of most pro sports.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#59971 09/07/04 10:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Yes, I agree. The Yankees do suck.

I very much like the way GB is owned by the fans. The team should be about the community and the way their ownership is structured it will likely always remain that way. I wonder how the guys over in the politics thread would view this obvious communist plot to infiltrate our beloved NFL! Just kidding of course...I don't want to get those guys too riled up or the posts will start flying.

btw Jack, although the Pack's colors are tough on the eyes, I'm not sure the Browns unis are much of a fashion statement either! Brown and orange???

#59972 09/07/04 10:18 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I grew up in Wisconsin and all my childhood friends were caught up in the Lombardi years glory. I really wasn't a fan, but I pretended to be since all my friends were. Just hanging with the guys, I suppose. Something like the axiom board. My family later moved to Minnesota and everyone there was into the "Vikes" thing. I was a junior in high school and it appeared to me that some of my new classmates were a bit over zealous in there fanatacism regarding the local NFL franchise. I guess I didn't quite get it. It was then that I started to pull for their hated rivals. I guess I like rooting for the underdog, and in the 1970's the Packers were the underdog.

#59973 09/07/04 11:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

btw Jack, although the Pack's colors are tough on the eyes, I'm not sure the Browns unis are much of a fashion statement either! Brown and orange???

LOL! I figured that would come up, and you'll get no argument from me. Orange has NEVER been one of my favorite colors. The "brown" is OK, but it's hard to reproduce correctly on TV (though, with the newer sets, that's getting better now). Though I'm basically a traditionalist, I wouldn't mind replacing the orange with gold, or something that would work better with the brown. I do like the uniqueness of having no helmet logo, particularly since I find most of them (with some exceptions) kinda silly. I can't even figure out what some of them are. And, while many of them look good close up, at a distance they are indecipherable.

Jack

#59974 09/08/04 01:10 AM
veteran
veteran
Weird helmet logos? You mean like the Flying Elvii?

(Readers of Gregg Easterbrook will know what I am referencing).

Actually I don't think gold and brown would be a good combo..they would look like a bunch of UPS guys!

Side note - does anyone read Easterbrook's TMQ columns? Very funny stuff, but in this column he has a section titled "It's Like Playing an Ad for Bose Speakers Over an AM Transistor Radio". What Mr. Easterbrook fails to understand is that there isn't much difference between listening to Bose and that little transistor radio! Seriously, this is one guy in need of a set of Axioms.

#59975 09/08/04 01:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Actually, I like the Pat's logo. It's certainly a large step up from the patriot bent over in a 3 point stance they used to have.

In reply to:

Actually I don't think gold and brown would be a good combo..they would look like a bunch of UPS guys!

LOL! Perhaps, but not necessarily. It would depend how it was done. New Orleans is gold and black, and they look pretty good.

Jack

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082